Faculty Equality & Diversity Advisor
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 5923
- Address: Planning and Performance Team
Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering
2nd Floor, Devonshire Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
As Faculty Equality & Diversity Advisor, my role is to support he development of policies and initiatives which promote equality, diversity and inclusion in the Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering.
- Guidance and support to departments in the SAgE Faculty applying for Athena SWAN awards, in terms of collating and analysing data, reviewing draft applications and offering advice on best practice.
- Advice on institutional diversity frameworks, initiatives and activities such as Stonewall, Business Disability Forum and the Equality Challenge Unit (ECU)'s Race Equality Charter.
- Information on University policy, practice and funding schemes to support equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Support to the SAgE Faculty Athena SWAN Working Group and Inclusion, Diversity & Equality Steering Group.
- Active support to the implementation of the institutional Athena SWAN Silver Action Plan as part of the University level Self-Assessment Team.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss the support that I can give you.
I have several years’ experience in supporting research and innovation within the Higher Education sector. I joined the Business Development Directorate (now Research Enterprise Services) at Newcastle University in June 2007, where my role involved the administration of consultancy and technology licence projects. Following the restructure of the Directorate in 2011, I carried out a similar role within the SAgE Enterprise Team.
I joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in July 2012, where I supported the Power Electronics, Drives and Machines (PEDM) Research Group in terms of developing funding proposals, project administration, monitoring and reporting research outcomes. I also acted as School REF Administrator in preparation for the submission to REF 2014.
I joined Durham University in November 2013. As Research Governance and Policy Officer, I worked closely with the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) to develop research strategy and policy. I also provided training and advice to academics on best practice in research ethics and integrity across a wide range of academic disciplines.
I returned to Newcastle University in November 2014 as Faculty Research Administrator in the Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering. As part of this role, I managed the Faculty's ethical review process and also provided support to departments applying for departmental Athena SWAN awards. Following the restructure of the SAgE Faculty in August 2017, I took up a new position as Faculty E&D Advisor within the new Planning & Performance Team.
PG Cert in Professional Practice in Higher Education Management
BA (Hons) English
City & Guilds Award in Business Administration
Diploma in Project Management
Association of University Administrators (AUA) (Accredited Member and Joint Branch-Coordinator)
Association of Research Managers and Administrators (ARMA) (Member)
South Tyneside NHS Research Ethics Committee (Lay Member)