Undergraduate New Students' Guarantee
In your first year of study you are guaranteed a place in University-owned or Managed Partnership accommodation. This is provided you meet ALL the requirements below:
- you have accepted our offer of a place at Newcastle as your firm choice university before 30 June, and
- you are coming alone to the University for the full academic year, and
- you live in an area from which it would be unreasonable to commute to the University by public transport (reasonable being determined by distance and travel time), and
- you have completed the online Accommodation Application by 30 June of your year of entry.
The guarantee may involve some temporary sharing at the start of term.
Mature undergraduate students aged between 25-29 will be given the option when completing the online accommodation application to choose if you wish to live with other undergraduate students or with postgraduate students; those aged 30 plus will automatically be offered accommodation with postgraduate students.
Not covered by the Guarantee?
We recommend you still complete the online Accommodation Application and the following process applies:
- If you are a late applicant, ie you applied after 30 June, we will make every effort to offer University accommodation but as your application will only be dealt with after all guaranteed students, accommodation availability may be limited.
- If you are an insurance or clearing applicant, we will make every effort to offer University accommodation, but as your application will only be dealt with after all guaranteed students, accommodation availability may be limited.
- If you live within reasonable commuting distance of the University, you are classed as a waiting local. You should apply in the usual way and your details will be put on a waiting list, and students living furthest away from the University will be offered a room before those living closer to the city centre. If we are unable to offer you a room at the start of term, you will be asked to remain at home until a room becomes available, usually during the first term.
- If you are only here for part of the academic year (a part-year applicant), you should still apply for accommodation. We anticipate we will be able to make you an offer of accommodation, but will not be able to process your application until early September. If we can offer you accommodation, it is likely to be a twin room, shared with a student of the same gender. Second semester applicants are more likely to be offered a room than first semester applicants.
- If you require family/couple accommodation, you are still encouraged to apply as we have a limited range of suitable accommodation. If you have children, you are advised not to bring your family to Newcastle until you have been able to arrange suitable accommodation for them. The family accommodation is at Bowsden Court and we have couple accommodation on various sites.
If there are no rooms available, we can offer advice and assistance on finding private-rented accommodation elsewhere in the city. We strongly encourage you to view this type of accommodation before committing to a property.