Undergraduate New Students' Guarantee for September 2014 Entry
In your first year of study you are guaranteed a place in University-owned or Managed Partnership accommodation. This is provided you meet ALL the requirements below:
- you have accepted our offer of a place at Newcastle as your firm choice university before 30 June, and
- you are coming alone to the University for the full academic year, and
- you have completed the online Accommodation Application by 30 June of your year of entry.
The guarantee may involve some temporary sharing at the start of term.
Mature undergraduate students aged 25+ will be allowed to choose from accommodation options within both undergraduate and postgraduate areas. If you prefer not to live with students between the ages of 18-22, we recommend you ensure you make your selections based on the postgraduate options available.
Not covered by the Guarantee?
We recommend you still complete the online Accommodation Application and the following process applies:
- If you are a late applicant, ie you applied after 30 June, we will make every effort to offer University accommodation, but because your application will be dealt with after all guaranteed students, accommodation availability may be limited.
- If you come to Newcastle as your insurance choice or through clearing/adjustment, we will make every effort to offer University accommodation, but because your application will be dealt with after all guaranteed students, accommodation availability may be limited.
- If you live within reasonable commuting distance of the University, and have not chosen Newcastle as your firm choice university, you are classed as a waiting local. You should apply in the usual way and your details will be put on a waiting list. Students living furthest away from the University will be offered a room before those living closer to the city centre. As a waiting local, if we are unable to offer you a room at the start of term, you will be asked to remain at home until a room becomes available, usually during the first term.
- If you are only here for part of the academic year (a part-year student), you should still apply for accommodation. We anticipate we will be able to make you an offer of accommodation, but will not be able to process your application until early September. If we can offer you accommodation, it is likely to be a twin room, shared with a student of the same gender. Second semester applicants are more likely to be offered a room than first semester applicants.
- If you require family/couple accommodation, you are still encouraged to apply as we have a limited range of suitable accommodation. If you have children, we would advise that you do not bring your family to Newcastle until you have been able to arrange suitable accommodation for them. The family accommodation is at Bowsden Court and we have couple accommodation on various sites.
If there are no rooms available, we can offer advice and assistance on finding private-rented accommodation elsewhere in the city. We strongly encourage you to view this type of accommodation before committing to a property.