These laboratories are equipped with state-of-the-art analytical equipment such as HPLCs, GCs, CNS analyser, centrifuges, spectrophotometers and molecular biology equipment.
We also operate closely with colleagues in other schools and institutes and the University's central scientific facilities for access to more specialist analytical services.
Specialist research facilities include:
- tissue culture laboratory
- plant growth rooms (currently under development)
- class II laboratory for safe handling of human biological samples
- taste panel facilities and test kitchen
- thin section facility for soils analysis
For work with human subjects we use the purpose built Newcastle Clinical Research Facility. This is situated in the Royal Victoria Infirmary teaching hospital and is managed jointly by the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Newcastle University.
We have a new SAgE Laboratory within the Agriculture Building used for student practical work.
We also use the second floor lab in the Ridley Building for large student practical sessions.