Each year, staff and postgraduates in the School of Agriculture , Food & Rural Development publish a large number of articles based on their research, expertise and teaching. A full list of recent publications is given below; you can search this database for a researcher's name, publication year or a key word.
You can also find a selection of work published recently by individual staff members on their personal pages. Some of the research centres also have full lists of publications.
Year: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990 1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1984 1983 1982 1981 1980 1979 1978 1977 1976 1975
- Gkartzios M. 'Leaving Athens': narratives of counterurbanisation in times of crisis.
Journal of Rural Studies 2013, 32, 158-167.
- Gkartzios M, Scott K. A ‘Creative’ Exploration: Counter-Urban Mobilities, Culture and Crisis.
Sociology 2013. Submitted.
- Williams JM, Marks CF, Mata F, Parkin TDM. A case control study to investigate risk factors associated with horse falls in steeplechase races at Cheltenham racetrack.
Comparative Exercise Physiology 2013, 9(1), 59-64.
- Mackenzie SG, Leinonen I, Williams AG, Hazzledine M, Kyriazakis I. Accounting for environmental impact when formulating UK standard broiler diets.
In: BSAS/WPSA Annual Conference. 2013, Nottingham, UK.
- Oxley A, Berry P, Taylor GA, Cowell J, Hall MJ, Hesketh J, Lietz G, Boddy AV. An LC/MS/MS method for stable isotope dilution studies of β-carotene bioavailability, bioconversion and vitamin A status in humans.
Journal of Lipid Research 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Kumar S, Garg R, Moftah A, Clark EL, Macdonald SE, Chaudhry AS, Sparagano OAE, Banerjee PS, Kundu K, Tomley FM, Blake DP. An optimised protocol for molecular identification of Eimeria from chickens.
Veterinary Parasitology 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Brandt K. Are Organic Foods Safer or Healthier?.
Annals of Internal Medicine 2013, 158(4), 295-295.
- Griffin SM, Robertson AGN, Bredenoord AJ, Brownlee IA, Stovold R, Brodlie M, Forrest I, Dark JH, Pearson JP, Ward C. Aspiration and allograft injury secondary to gastroesophageal reflux occur in the immediate post-lung transplantation period (Prospective Clinical Trial).
Annals of Surgery 2013, 258, 705-712.
- Iye EL, Bilsborrow PE. Assessment of the availability of agricultural residues on a zonal basis for medium- to large-scale bioenergy production in Nigeria.
Biomass and Bioenergy 2013, 48, 66-74.
- daMata FR, Johnson C, Flavell-Irving A. Association between periodontal disease and open or closed diastemata in cheek teeth of horses.
In: British Society of Animal Sciences Annual Conference. 2013, Nottingham.
- Fischer ARH, vanDijk H, deJonge J, Frewer LJ. Attitudes and attitudinal ambivalence change towards nanotechnology applied to food production.
Public Understanding of Science 2013, 22(7), 817-831.
- Gkartzios M, Scott M. Attitudes to housing and planning policy in rural localities: Disparities between long-term and mobile rural populations in Ireland.
Land Use Policy 2013, 31, 347-357.
- Williams JM, Heath Y, Mata F. Beating the odds: using epidemiology to pick the Cheltenham Gold Cup winner.
The Veterinary Nurse 2013, 4(1), 48-52.
- Klerkx L, Proctor A. Beyond fragmentation and disconnect: Networks for knowledge exchange in the English land management advisory system.
Land Use Policy 2013, 30(1), 13-24.
- Kyriazakis I, Szyszka O, Stockdale EA, Johnson A, Wilson S, Penlington N, Edwards SA. Can we reduce our current levels of Phosphorous in pig diets without affecting their performance and health?.
The Pig Journal 2013, 68, 97-101.
- Iye EL, Bilsborrow PE. Cellulosic ethanol production from agricultural residues in Nigeria.
Energy Policy 2013, 63, 207-214.
- Brandt K, Fawcett L, Haldar S, Seal CJ. Changes in markers of cardiovascular disease risk in healthy volunteers consuming increasing doses of either wholegrain wheat or wholegrain rye.
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013. In Preparation.
- Ramdani D, Chaudhry AS, Seal CJ. Chemical Composition, Plant Secondary Metabolites, and Minerals of Green and Black Teas and the Effect of Different Tea-to-Water Ratios during Their Extraction on the Composition of Their Spent Leaves as Potential Additives for Ruminants.
Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61(20), 4961-4967.
- Leinonen I, Williams AG, Waller AH, Kyriazakis I. Comparing the environmental impacts of alternative protein crops in poultry diets: The consequences of uncertainty.
Agricultural Systems 2013, 121, 33-42.
- Jones DL, Clode PL, Kilburn MR, Stockdale EA, Murphy DV. Competition between plant and bacterial cells at the microscale regulates the dynamics of nitrogen acquisition in wheat (Triticum aestivum).
New Phytologist 2013, 200(3), 796-807.
- Eyre MD, Luff ML, Leifert C. Crop, field boundary, productivity and disturbance influences on ground beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) in the agroecosystem.
Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 2013, 165, 60-67.
- O'Brien GM, Weir RR, Moody K, Liu PWS. Cyanogenic potential of fresh and frozen cassava on retail sale in three Irish cities: a snapshot survey.
International Journal of Food Science & Technology 2013, 48(9), 1815-1821.
- Lloyd AJ, Beckmann M, Haldar S, Seal C, Brandt K, Draper J. Data-driven strategy for the discovery of potential urinary biomarkers of habitual dietary exposure.
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013, 97(2), 377-389.
- Newbery R, Sauer J, Gorton M, Phillipson J, Atterton J. Determinants of the performance of business associations in rural settlements in the United Kingdom: an analysis of members’ satisfaction and willingness-to-pay for association survival.
Environment and Planning A 2013, 45(4), 967-985.
- Szyszka O, Tolkamp BJ, Edwards SA, Kyriazakis I. Do the changes in the behaviours of cattle during parasitism with Ostertagia ostertagi have a potential diagnostic value?.
Veterinary Parasitology 2013, 193(1-3), 214-222.
- Leinonen I, Williams AG, Kyriazakis I. Do welfare-enhancing changes in poultry systems affect their environmental impact?.
In: BSAS/WPSA Annual Conference. 2013, Nottingham, UK.
- Kendall H, Kuznesof S, Seal CJ, Dobson S, Brennan M. Domestic food safety and the older consumer: A segmentation analysis.
Food Quality and Preference 2013, 28(1), 396-406.
- Nkhoma OWW, Duffy ME, Cory-Slechta DA, Davidson PW, McSorley EM, Strain JJ, O'Brien GM. Early-Stage Primary School Children Attending a School in the Malawian School Feeding Program (SFP) Have Better Reversal Learning and Lean Muscle Mass Growth Than Those Attending a Non-SFP School.
Journal of Nutrition 2013, 143(8), 1324-1330.
- Shepherd LVT, Hackett CA, Alexander CJ, Sungurtas JA, Pont SDA, Stewart D, McNicol MW, Wilcockson SJ, Leifert C, Davies HV. Effect of agricultural production systems on the potato metabolome.
Metabolomics 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Średnicka-Tober D, Barański M, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Skwarło-Sońta K, Rembiałkowska E, Hajslova J, Schulzova V, Çakmak I, Öztürk L, Królikowski T, Wiśniewska K, Hallmann E, Baca E, Eyre M, Steinshamn H, Jordon T, Leifert C. Effect of Crop Protection and Fertilization Regimes Used in Organic and Conventional Production Systems on Feed Composition and Physiological Parameters in Rats.
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61(5), 1017-1029.
- Voutzourakis N, Tzanidakis N, Atsali I, Franceschin E, Stefanakis A, Sotiraki S, Leifert C, Stergiadis S, Eyre MD, Cozzi G, Butler G. Effect of season and management system on ‘’Sfakion’’ sheep milk fatty acid profile.
In: 64th Annual Meeting of the European Association for Animal Production. 2013, Nantes, France: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Smith LA, Houdijk JGM, Homer D, Kyriazakis I. Effects of dietary inclusion of pea and faba bean as a replacement for soybean meal on grower and finisher pig performance and carcass quality.
Journal of Animal Science 2013, 91(8), 3733-3741.
- Tétard-Jones C, Edwards MG, Rempelos L, Gatehouse AMR, Eyre M, Wilcockson SJ, Leifert C. Effects of previous crop management, fertilization regime and watersupply on potato tuber proteome and yield.
Agronomy 2013, 3(1), 59-85.
- Symeou V, Leinonen I, Kyriazakis I. Evaluating a model that predicts phosphorus digestion, retention and excretion in growing and finishing pigs.
In: BSAS Annual Conference. 2013, Nottingham, UK.
- Gupta N, Fischer ARH, George S, Frewer LJ. Expert views on societal responses to different applications of nanotechnology: a comparative analysis of experts in countries with different economic and regulatory environments.
JOURNAL OF NANOPARTICLE RESEARCH 2013, 15(8), -.
- Stewart-Knox B, Kuznesof S, Robinson J, Rankin A, Orr K, Duffy M, Poínhos R, de Almeida MD, Macready A, Gallagher C, Berezowska A, Fischer ARH, Navas-Carretero S, Riemer M, Traczyk I, Gjelstad IMF, Mavrogianni C, Frewer LJ. Factors influencing European consumer uptake of personalised nutrition: Results of a qualitative analysis.
Appetite 2013, 66, 67-74.
- Scott C, Jackson EL. Farm Business Survey 2011/2012 Organic Farming in England.
Newcastle University: Rural Business Research, 2013. Organic Farming in England.
- Hubbard C, Hubbard LJ. Food Security in the United Kingdom: External Supply Risks.
Food Policy 2013. In Press.
- Sehib K, Jackson EL, Gorton M. Gender, social acceptability and the adoption of supermarkets: evidence from Libya.
International Journal of Consumer Studies 2013, 37(4), 379-386.
- Frewer LJ, Kleter GA, Brennan M, Coles D, Fischer ARH, Houdebine LM, Mora C, Millar K, Salter B. Genetically Modified Animals from Life-Science, Socio-Economic and Ethical Perspectives: Examining issues in an EU policy context.
New Biotechnology 2013, (epub ahead of print).
- Scott K. Happiness on your doorstep: the boundary problems of wellbeing and localism.
The Geographical Journal 2013. Submitted.
- Fox M, Mugford M, Voordouw J, Nornelisse-Vermaat J, Antonides G, deLaHozCaballer B, Cerecedo I, Zamora J, Rokicka E, Jewczak M, Clark AB, Kowalski ML, Papadopoulos N, Knulst AC, Seneviratne S, Belohlavkova S, Asero R, deBlay F, Purohit A, Clausen M, FlokstradeBlok B, Dubois AE, Fernandez-Rivas M, Burney P, Frewer LJ, Mills CEN. Health sector costs of self-reported food allergy in Europe: a patient based cost of illness study.
European Journal of Public Health 2013, 23(5), 757-762.
- Beckmann M, Lloyd AJ, Haldar S, Seal CJ, Brandt K, Draper J. Hydroxylated phenylacetamides derived from bioactive benzoxazinoids are bioavailable in humans after habitual consumption of whole grain sourdough rye bread.
Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2013, 57(10), 1859-1873.
- Douglas SL, Edwards SA, Sutcliffe E, Knap PW, Kyriazakis I. Identification of risk factors associated with poor lifetime growth performance in pigs.
JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE 2013, 91(9), 4123-4132.
- Shakir A, Chaudhry AS, Qazi JI. Impact of anthropogenic activities on physico-chemical parameters of water and mineral uptake in Catla catla from river Ravi, Pakistan.
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 2013, 185(3), 2833-2842.
- Stergiadis S, Leifert C, Seal CJ, Eyre MD, Steinshamn H, Butler G. Improving winter milk fatty acid profiles by linseed supplementation of conventional and organic cows’ diets.
In: 64th Annual Meeting of the European Association for Animal Production. 2013, Nantes, France: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Franks JR, Emery SB. Incentivising Collaborative Conservation: Lessons from existing Environmental Stewardship Scheme options.
Land Use Policy 2013, 30(1), 847-862.
- Haghighi RS, Critchley N, Leifert C, Eyre M, Cooper J. Individual and interactive effects of crop type and management on weed and seed bank composition in an organic rotation.
International Journal of Plant Production 2013, 7(2), 243-268.
- Stergiadis S, Leifert C, Seal CJ, Eyre MD, Butler G. Individual cow variation on milk polyunsaturated fatty acids.
In: The Nutrition Society Scottish Section Meeting. Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Mediators: Implications for human health. 2013, Edunburgh, UK. In Press.
- Balasubramaniam V, Mustar S, Mustafa Khalid N, Abd Rashed A, Mohd Noh MF, Wilcox MD, Chater PI, Brownlee IA, Pearson JP. Inhibitory activities of three Malaysian edible seaweeds on lipase and α-amylase.
Journal of Applied Phycology 2013, 1-8. In Press.
- Mata F, Bourbon J, Twigg-Flesner A, Greening A. Investigating follicle growth, uterine oedema and other factors affecting reproductive success in the Lusitano mare.
Revista Portuguesa de Zootecnia 2013, 2(1), 1-14.
- Mata F, Lam A. Investigating the relationship between feed and helminthic burden of captive birds of prey in Hong Kong.
Zoo Biology 2013.
- Palander PA, Heinonen M, Simpura I, Edwards SA, Valros AE. Jejunal morphology and blood metabolites in tail biting, victim and control pigs.
Animal 2013, 7(9), 1523-1531.
- Fazey I, Evely AC, Reed MS, Stringer LC, Kruijsen J, White PCL, Newsham A, Jin LX, Cortazzi M, Phillipson J, Blackstock K, Entwistle N, Sheate W, Armstrong F, Blackmore C, Fazey J, Ingram J, Gregson J, Lowe P, Morton S, Trevitt C. Knowledge exchange: a review and research agenda for environmental management.
Environmental Conservation 2013, 40(1), 19-36.
- McKenzie A, Emery S, Franks J, Whittingham M. Landscape-scale conservation: collaborative agri-environment schemes could benefit both biodiversity and eccosystem services, but will farmers be willing to participate?.
Journal of Applied Ecology 2013, (epub ahead of print).
- Sakkas P, Jones LA, Houdijk JG, Athanasiadou S, Knox DP, Kyriazakis I. Leucine and methionine deficiency impairs immunity to gastrointestinal parasites during lactation.
British Journal of Nutrition 2013, 109(2), 273-282.
- Mata F, Bourbon J, Twigg-Flesner A, Greening L. Lusitano mare reproduction: contribution to the knowledge.
In: 64thy Annual Meeting of the European Federation of Animal Science. 2013, Nantes, France.
- Bracken LJ, Oughton EA. Making sense of policy implementation: the construction of uses and expertise and evidence in managing freshwater environments.
Environmental Science & Policy 2013, 30, 10-18.
- Frater P, Franks J. Measuring agricultural sustainability at the farm-level: A pragmatic approach.
International Journal of Agricultural Management 2013, 2(4), 207-225.
- Quemada M, Baranski M, Nobel-de Lange MNJ, Vallejo A, Cooper JM. Meta-analysis of strategies to control nitrate leaching in irrigated agricultural systems and their effects on crop yield.
Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 2013, 174, 1-10.
- Brandt K, Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Sanderson R, Leifert C, Seal CJ. Methods for Comparing Data across Differently Designed Agronomic Studies: Examples of Different Meta-analysis Methods Used to Compare Relative Composition of Plant Foods Grown Using Organic or Conventional Production Methods and a Protocol for a Systematic Review.
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61(30), 7173-7180.
- Laurenson YC, Bishop SC, Forbes AB, Kyriazakis I. Modelling the short- and long-term impacts of drenching frequency and targeted selective treatment on the performance of grazing lambs and the emergence of anthelmintic resistance.
Parasitology 2013, 140(6), 780-791.
- Gilissen LJWJ, Frewer LJ, Gao Z-S. Multidisciplinary approaches to allergies.
Food Science and Technology (London) 2013, 27(2), 27-30.
- Coles D, Frewer LJ. Nanotechnology applied to European food production - A review of ethical and regulatory issues.
Trends in Food Science & Technology 2013. In Press.
- Nkhoma OW, Duffy ME, Davidson PW, Cory-Slechta D, McSorley EM, Strain JJ, O'Brien GM. Nutritional and cognitive status of entry-level primary school children in Zomba, rural Malawi.
International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 2013, 64(3), 282-291.
- Jaworowska A, Blackham T, Davies IG, Stevenson L. Nutritional challenges and health implications of takeaway and fast food.
Nutrition Reviews 2013, 71(5), 310-318.
- Jaworowska A, Blackham T, Davies IG, Stevenson L. Nutritional composition of takeaway food in the UK.
Nutrition and Food Science 2013. In Press.
- Pery ARR, Schuurmann G, Ciffroy P, Faust M, Backhaus T, Aicher L, Mombelli E, Tebby C, Cronin MTD, Tissot S, Andres S, Brignon JM, Frewer L, Georgiou S, Mattas K, Vergnaud JC, Peijnenburg W, Capri E, Marchis A, Wilks MF. Perspectives for integrating human and environmental risk assessment and synergies with socio-economic analysis.
Science of Total Environment 2013, 456-457, 307-316.
- Norris M, Gkartzios M, Coates D. Property-led urban, town and rural regeneration in Ireland: positive and perverse outcomes in different spatial and socio-economic contexts.
European Planning Studies 2013, Epub ahead of print.
- Frewer LJ, vanderLans IA, Fischer ARH, Reinders MJ, Menozzi D, Zhang X, vedenBerg I, Zimmerman KL. Public perceptions of agri-food applications of genetic modification - A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Trends in Food Science & Technology 2013, 30(2), 142-145.
- Rempelos L, Cooper J, Wilcockson S, Eyre M, Shotton P, Volakakis N, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR, Tétard-Jones C. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of potato to contrasting fertilisation regimes.
Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 363-378.
- Tétard-Jones C, Shotton PN, Rempelos L, Cooper J, Eyre M, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of wheat to contrasting fertilisation regimes.
Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 379-393.
- Gkartzios M. Queerying Planning: Challenging Heteronormative Assumptions and Reframing Planning Practice [book review].
Social & Cultural Geography 2013, (epub ahead of print).
- Harvey DR, Hubbard C. Reconsidering the political economy of farm animal welfare: An anatomy of market failure.
Food Policy 2013, 38, 105-114.
- Leelarathna L, Little SA, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Lubina-Solomon A, Kumareswaran K, Lane AP, Chadwick T, Marshall SM, Speight J, Flanagan D, Heller SR, Shaw JA, Evans ML. Restoration of self-awareness of hypoglycemia in adults with long-standing Type 1 diabetes: hyperinsulinemic-hypoglycemic clamp substudy results from the HypoCOMPaSS trial.
Diabetes Care 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Phillipson J, Symes D. Science for sustainable fisheries management: An interdisciplinary approach.
Fisheries Research 2013, 139, 61-64.
- Hendrick TAM, Fischer ARH, Tobi H, Frewer LJ. Self-reported attitude scales: current practice in adequate assessment of reliability, validity, and dimensionality.
Journal of Applied Social Psychology 2013, 43(7), 1538-1552.
- Atkinson S, Scott K. Stable and destabilised states of subjective wellbeing: dance and movement as catalysts of transition.
Social and Cultural Geography 2013. In Press.
- Twigg-Flesner A, daMata FR, Aspinall R. The effect of four commercially available extenders on motility of chilled stallion semen over time.
In: British Society of Animal Science Annual Conference. 2013, Nottingham.
- Bilsborrow PE, Cooper J, Tetard-Jones C, Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Eyre M, Schmidt C, Shotton PN, Volakakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ. The effect of organic and conventional management on the yield and quality of wheat grown in a long-term field trial.
European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 51, 71-80.
- Twigg-Flesner A, daMata FR, Vernon H. The effects of equine semen storage on the success rate of embryo recovery in a commercial setting.
In: the British Society of Animal Science Annual Conference. 2013.
- Kuldilok KS, Dawson PJ, Lingard J. The export competitiveness of the tuna industry in Thailand.
British Food Journal 2013, 115(3), 328-341.
- Dawson PJ, Sanjuán-López AI. The Export-Income Relationship In Developing Countries: Evidence From Panel Cointegration.
Journal of Developing Areas 2013, 47(1), 47-62.
- Brownlee IA, Kuznesof S, Moore C, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. The impact of a 16-week dietary intervention with prescribed amounts of whole-grain foods on subsequent, elective whole grain consumption.
British Journal of Nutrition 2013, 110(5), 943-948.
- Palmer MW, Cooper J, Tétard-Jones C, Średnicka-Tobera D, Barański M, Eyre M, Shotton PN, Volkakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ, Bilsborrow PE. The influence of organic and conventional fertilisation and crop protection practices, preceding crop, harvest year and weather conditions on yield and quality of potato (Solanum tuberosum) in a long-term management trial.
European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 49, 83-92.
- Karamperidis S, Jackson E, Mangan J. The use of indices in the maritime transport sector.
Maritime Policy & Management 2013, 40(4), 339-350.
- Scott K, Bell D. Trying to measure local wellbeing: indicator development as a site of discursive struggles.
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 2013, 31(3), 522-539.
- Kaptan G, Shiloh S, Onkal D. Values and Risk Perceptions: A Cross-Cultural Examination.
Risk Analysis 2013, 33(2), 318-332.
- Stergiadis S, Seal CJ, Leifert C, Eyre MD, Larsen MK, Butler G. Variation in nutritionally relevant components in retail Jersey and Guernsey whole milk.
Food Chemistry 2013, 139(1-4), 540-548.
- Phillipson J, Proctor A, Lowe P, Donaldson A. Veterinary Field Expertise and Knowledge Exchange.
In: Henry, C, ed. Veterinary Business and Enterprise: Theoretical Foundations and Practical Cases. Saunders Ltd, 2013. In Press.
- Hill TR, Aspray TA, Francis RM. Vitamin D and bone health outcomes in older age.
Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2013. In Press.
- Hill TR. Vitamin D and Health: Current Perspectives and Future Direction.
Agro Food Industry Hi Tech 2013. In Press.
- Szyszka O, Kyriazakis I. What is the relationship between level of infection and 'sickness behaviour' in cattle?.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2013, 147(1-2), 1-10.
- Lowe P, Phillipson J, Wilkinson K. Why social scientists should engage with natural scientists.
Contemporary Social Science 2013, n/a, n/a.