Each year, staff and postgraduates in the School of Agriculture , Food & Rural Development publish a large number of articles based on their research, expertise and teaching. A full list of recent publications is given below; you can search this database for a researcher's name, publication year or a key word.
You can also find a selection of work published recently by individual staff members on their personal pages. Some of the research centres also have full lists of publications.
Year: 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990 1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1984 1983 1982 1981 1980 1978 1977 1976 1975
- Thomson ME, Önkal D, Güvenç G. A cognitive portrayal of risk perception in Turkey: Some cross-national comparisons.
Risk Management 2003, 5(4), 25-35.
- Waddington C, Bailey GN, Boomer I, Milner NJ, Pedersen K, Shiel RS, Stevenson AC. A Mesolithic settlement site at Howick, Northumberland: a preliminary report.
Archaeologia Aeliana 2003, 5th series, 32, 1-12.
- Van De Weerd HA, Docking CM, Day JEL, Avery PJ, Edwards SA. A systematic approach towards developing environmental enrichment for pigs.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2003, 84(2), 101-118.
- Philippidis G, Hubbard LJ. Agenda 2000 reform of the CAP and its impacts on member member States: A note.
Journal of Agricultural Economics 2003, 54(3), 479-486.
- Harvey DR. Agri-environmental relationships and multi-functionality: Further considerations.
World Economy 2003, 26(5), 705-725.
- Bornett HLI, Edge HL, Edwards SA. Alternatives to nose-ringing in outdoor sows 1. The provision of a sacrificial rooting area.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2003, 83(4), 267-276.
- Beaver T, Wilcockson S, Franks JR. An appraisal of the UK's outgoers' scheme.
Farm Management 2003, 11, 513-529.
- Watson CA, Atkins T, Bento S, Edwards AC, Edwards SA. Appropriateness of nutrient budgets for environmental risk assessment: A case study of outdoor pig production.
European Journal of Agronomy 2003, 20(1-2), 117-126.
- Turner SP, Morgan GW, Edwards SA. Assessment of sub-grouping behaviour in pigs housed at different group sizes.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2003, 83(4), 291-302.
- Grigoriadis FD, Edwards SA. Behavioural patterns in boar homosexuality.
Animal Science Review 2003, 31, 3-11.
- Smith AT, Kuznesof S, Richardson DP, Seal CJ. Behavioural, attitudinal and dietary responses to the consumption of wholegrain foods.
Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2003, 62(2), 455-467.
- Hansen J, Holm L, Frewer L, Sandoe P. Beyond the knowledge deficity: Recent reseach into lay and expert attitudes to food risks.
Appetite 2003, 41(2), 111-121.
- Pitcairn CER, Fowler D, Leith ID, Sheppard LJ, Sutton MA, Kennedy V, Okello E. Bioindicators of enhanced nitrogen deposition.
Environmental Pollution 2003, 126(3), 353-361.
- Brownlee IA, Atherton MR, Havler ME, Dettmar PW, Onsoyen E, Allen A, Pearson JP. Colonic mucus barrier dynamics and mucosal haemaglobin content are modulated by dietary fibre.
In: 104th Annual Meeting of the American Gastroenterological Association. 2003, Orlando, Florida, USA: W.B. Saunders Co.
- Brownlee IA, Havler ME, Dettmar PW, Allen A, Pearson JP. Colonic mucus: Secretion and turnover in relation to dietary fibre intake.
Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2003, 62(1), 245-249.
- Güvenç G, Gürakan C, Bayindirli A. Combined effect of high hydrostatic pressure treatment and hydrogen peroxide on Salmonella Enteritidis in liquid whole egg.
European Food Research and Technology 2003, 217(3), 244-248.
- Frewer LJ, Scholderer J, Bredahl L. Communicating about the risks and benefits of genetically modified foods: The mediating role of trust.
Risk Analysis 2003, 23(6), 1117-1133.
- Hubbard L, Thompson W. Consumption versus demand - Recovery after BSE? : A fuller analysis.
EuroChoices 2003, 2(2), 37-40.
- Payton RW, Barr JJF, Martin A, Sillitoe P, Deckers JF, Gowing JW, Hatibu N, Naseem SB, Tenywa M, Zuberi MI. Contrasting approaches to integrating indigenous knowledge about soils and scientific soil survey in East Africa and Bangladesh.
Geoderma 2003, 111(3-4), 355-386.
- Jowett SL, Seal CJ, Phillips E, Gregory W, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Defining relapse of ulcerative colitis using a symptom-based activity index.
Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 2003, 38(2), 164-171.
- Shiel RS, Mohamed SB. Deriving information efficiently from surveys of artefact distribution.
In: The Environmental Archaeology of Industry. 2003, Univeristy of Surry, Guildford: Oxbow Books.
- Hatibu N, Young MDB, Gowing JW, Mahoo HF, Mzirai OB. Developing improved dryland cropping systems for maize in semi-arid Tanzania. Part 1: Experimental evidence for the benefits of rainwater harvesting.
Experimental Agriculture 2003, 39(3), 279-292.
- Gowing JW, Young MDB, Hatibu N, Mahoo HF, Rwehumbiza F, Mzirai OB. Developing improved dryland cropping systems for maize in semi-arid Tanzania. Part II. Use of a model to extrapolate and add value to experimental results.
Experimental Agriculture 2003, 39(3), 293-306.
- Firici, M.C. Distributional impacts of Common Agricultural Policy adoption by Romania.
Ph.D. thesis, Aberdeen, 2003.
- Chaudhry AS, Lister CJ, Rowlinson P. Effect of CRYSTALYX on the performance of breeding ewes during first three months of pregnancy while grazing grass outdoors.
In: British Society of Animal Science. 2003, York, UK.
- Ferguson EM, Ashworth CJ, Edwards SA, Hawkins N, Hepburn N, Hunter MG. Effect of different nutritional regimens before ovulation on plasma concentrations of metabolic and reproductive hormones and oocyte maturation in gilts.
Reproduction 2003, 126(1), 61-71.
- Thomas SG, Hocking TJ, Bilsborrow PE. Effect of sulphur fertilisation on the growth and metabolism of sugar beet grown on soils of differing sulphur status.
Field Crops Research 2003, 83(3), 223-235.
- Ghebrehewet S, Stevenson L. Effectiveness of home-based food storage behaviour: A community development approach.
International Journal of Environmental Health Research 2003, 13(s1), s169-s174.
- Shrestha NP, Edwards SA, English PR, Robertson JF. Factors affecting reproductive performance in the Nepalese Pakhribas pig: Effects of nutrition and housing during lactation.
Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 2003, 16(5), 644-649.
- Dawson PJ. Financial development and growth in economies in transition.
Applied Economics Letters 2003, 10(13), 833-836.
- Nørbæk R, Aaboer DB, Bleeg IS, Christensen BT, Kondo T, Brandt K. Flavone C-glycoside, phenolic acid, and nitrogen contents in leaves of barley subject to organic fertilization treatments.
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2003, 51(3), 809-813.
- Gowing JW. Food Security in sub-Saharan Africa: does water scarcity limit the options?.
Land Use and Water Resources Research 2003, 3, 2.1-2.7.
- Shiel R, Hardy K. Functional analysis. In: Hardy, K and Sillitoe, P. Material Perspectives: Stone Tool Use and Material Culture in Papua New Guinea.
Internet Archaeology 2003, 14.
- Murphy DV, Recous S, Stockdale EA, Fillery IRP, Jensen LS, Hatch DJ, Goulding KWT. Gross Nitrogen fluxes in soil: Theory, Measurement and Application of 15N pool dilution techniques.
Advances in Agronomy 2003, 79, 69-118.
- Turner SP, Allcroft DJ, Edwards SA. Housing pigs in large social groups: A review of implications for performance and other economic traits.
Livestock Production Science 2003, 82(1), 39-51.
- Bornett HLI, Guy JH, Cain PJ. Impact of animal welfare on costs and viability of pig production in the UK.
Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 2003, 16(2), 163-186.
- Edwards SA. Intake of nutrients from pasture by pigs.
Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2003, 62(2), 257-265.
- Stevenson L, Duval M. Involving consumers in peer-facilitated home-based food hygiene training.
International Journal of Consumer Studies 2003, 27(3), 233-237.
- Lowe P, Murakami K. Japan's rural renaissance.
Town and Country Planning 2003, 72(11), 352-354.
- Benson JF, Scott KE, Anderson C. Landscape Appraisal for Onshore Wind Development.
Newcastle upon Tyne: Landscape Research Group, School of Architecture, Planning & Landscape, Newcastle University, 2003. Report to Government Office for the North East, Project Reference NEREG/2002/004.
- Benson JF, Scott KE, Anderson C, Macfarlane R, Dunsford H, Turner K. Landscape Capacity Study for Onshore Wind Energy Development in the Western Isles.
Inverness: Scottish Natural Heritage, 2003. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report 42 (ROAME No. F02LC04).
- Harvey D. Lawrence, G., Higgins, V. and Lockie, S. (Eds) (2001). Environment, society and natural resource management: Theoretical perspectives from Australasia and the Americas [book review].
Journal of Agricultural Economics 2003, 54(2), 351-354.
- Hoanh CT, Tuong TP, Gallop KM, Gowing JW, Kam SP, Khiem NT, Phong ND. Livelihood impacts of water policy changes: Evidence from a coastal area of the Mekong river delta.
Water Policy 2003, 5(5-6), 475-488.
- Dibsdall LA, Lambert N, Bobbin RF, Frewer LJ. Low income consumers' attitudes and behaviour towards access, availability and motivation to eat fruit and vegetables.
Public Health Nutrition 2003, 6(2), 159-168.
- Ivanova N, Dawson P, Lingard J. Macroeconomic impacts on Bulgarian agriculture during transition.
Applied Economics 2003, 35(7), 817-823.
- Prazan J, Ratinger T, Krumalova P, Lowe P, Zellei A. Maintaining High Nature Value Landscapes in an Enlarged Europe: A Comparative Analysis of the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovenia.
Berlin: FAO, 2003. Institutional Change in Central and Eastern European Agriculture and Environment 1.
- Fearne A, Gracia M, Bourlakis M, Brennan M, Temple M, de Motte L. Mapping of potential research areas for economic analysis.
London, UK: Food Standards Agency, 2003.
- Lowe P, Murdoch J. Mediating the 'national' and the 'local' in the environmental policy process: A case study of the CPRE.
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 2003, 21(5), 761-778.
- Philippidis G, Hubbard LJ. Modelling hierarchical consumer preferences: An application to global food markets.
Applied Economics 2003, 35(15), 1679-1687.
- Berry PM, Stockdale EA, Sylvester-Bradley R, Philipps L, Smith KA, Lord EI, Watson CA, Fortune S. N, P and K budgets for crop rotations on nine organic farms in the UK.
Soil Use and Management 2003, 19(2), 112-118.
- Seal CJ, Daly ME, Thomas LC, Bal W, Birkett AM, Jeffcoat R, Mathers JC. Postprandial carbohydrate metabolism in healthy subjects and those with type 2 diabetes fed starches with slow and rapid hydrolysis rates determined in vitro.
British Journal of Nutrition 2003, 90(5), 853-864.
- Sanjuan AI, Dawson PJ. Price transmission, BSE and structural breaks in the UK meat sector.
European Review of Agricultural Economics 2003, 30(2), 155-172.
- Rooke JA, Carranca C, Bland IM, Sinclair AG, Ewen M, Bland VC, Edwards SA. Relationships between passive absorption of immunoglobulin G by the piglet and plasma concentrations of immunoglobulin G at weaning.
Livestock Production Science 2003, 81(2-3), 223-234.
- Ferto I, Hubbard LJ. Revealed comparative advantage and competitiveness in Hungarian agri-food sectors.
World Economy 2003, 26(2), 247-259.
- Fearne, A., Garcia, M., Bourlakis, M., Brennan, M., Caswell, J., Hooker, N. & S Henson. Review of the economics of food safety and food satndards: Report prepared for the Food Standards Agency under the contract RRD10/D03/A.
- Ward N, Lowe P, Bridges T. Rural and regional development: The role of the regional development agencies in England.
Regional Studies 2003, 37(2), 201-214.
- Wei W, Bilsborrow PE, Hooley P, Fincham DA, Lombi E, Forster BP. Salinity induced differences in growth, ion distribution and partitioning in barley between the cultivar Maythorpe and its derived mutant Golden Promise.
Plant and Soil 2003, 250(2), 183-191.
- Tiffin R, Dawson PJ. Shock persistence in a dual economy model of India.
Journal of Development Studies 2003, 40(1), 32-47.
- Frewer LJ. Societal issues and public attitudes towards genetically modified foods in human health and nutrition.
Trends in Food Science and Technology 2003, 14(5-8), 319-332.
- Smith RS, Shiel RS, Bardgett RD, Millward D, Corkhill P, Rolph G, Hobbs PJ, Peacock S. Soil microbial community, fertility, vegetation and diversity as targets in the restoration management of a meadow grassland.
Journal of Applied Ecology 2003, 40(1), 51-64.
- Savelev S, Okello E, Perry NSL, Wilkins RM, Perry EK. Synergistic and antagonistic interactions of anticholinesterase terpenoids in Salvia lavandulaefolia essential oil.
Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 2003, 75(3), 661-668.
- Gatzweiler F, Hagedorn K, Zellei A, Lowe P, Sumelius J, Backmann S, Tanic S. Synopsis of the Central and Eastern European Sustainable Agriculture project (CEESA).
Berlin: FAO, 2003. Institutional Change in Central and Eastern European Agriculture and Environment 4.
- Frewer LJ, Miles S. Temporal stability of the psychological determinants of trust: implications for communcation about food risks.
Health, Risk and Society 2003, 5(3), 259-271.
- Bland IM, Rooke JA, Bland VC, Sinclair AG, Edwards SA. The appearance of immunoglobulin G in the plasma of suckling piglets is not limited by the intake of immunoglobulin G from colostrum or by delayed suckling.
Animal Science 2003, 77, 277-286.
- Karaczun Z, Lowe P, Zellei A. The Challenge of the Nitrate Directive to Acceding Countries: A Comparative Analysis of Poland, Lithuania and Slovakia.
Berlin: FAO, 2003. Institutional Change in Central and Eastern European Agriculture and Environment 2.
- Cain PJ, Guy JH, Bornett HLI. The cost of increased animal welfare standards in UK pig production systems.
Farm Management 2003, 11(7), 433-444.
- Murdoch J, Lowe P, Ward N, Marsden T. The Differentiated Countryside.
London: Routledge, 2003.
- Breuer K, Sutcliffe MEM, Mercer JT, Rance KA, Beattie VE, Sneddon IA, Edwards SA. The effect of breed on the development of adverse social behaviours in pigs.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2003, 84(1), 59-74.
- Franks J, Lowe P, Phillipson J, Scott C. The impact of foot and mouth disease on farm businesses in Cumbria.
Land Use Policy 2003, 20(2), 159-168.
- Lowe P, Ward N. The paternalistic countryside.
In: Murdoch J: Lowe P;Ward N; Marsden T, ed. The Differentiated Countryside. London: Routledge, 2003, pp.111-132.
- Murdoch J, Lowe P. The preservationist paradox: Modernism, environmentalism and the politics of spatial division.
Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 2003, 28(3), 318-332.
- Blake S, McCracken DI, Eyre MD, Garside A, Foster GN. The relationship between the classification of Scottish ground beetle assemblages (Coleoptera, Carabidae) and the National Vegetation Classification of British plant communities.
Ecography 2003, 26(5), 602-616.
- Mohamed R, Chaudhry AS, Rowlinson P. The use of fresh or thawed rumen fluid containing glycerol or particle associated microbes to estimate in vitro degradation of feeds.
In: British Society of Animal Science Annual Meeting. 2003, York, UK: British Society of Animal Science.
- Frewer LJ, Hunt S, Brennan M, Kuznesof S, Ness M, Ritson C. The views of scientific experts on how the public conceptualize uncertainty.
Journal of Risk Research 2003, 6(1), 75-85.
- Jones HG, Leinonen I. Thermal imaging for the study of plant water relations.
Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 2003, 59(3), 205-217.
- Harvey DR, Colman D. Time to get rid of EU dairy quotas?.
EuroChoices 2003, 2(2), 12-17.
- Day JEL, Kelly H, Martins A, Edwards SA. Towards a baseline assessment of organic pig welfare.
Animal Welfare 2003, 12(4), 637-641.
- Scarpa R, Ruto ESK, Kristjanson P, Radeny M, Drucker AG, Rege JEO. Valuing indigenous cattle breeds in Kenya: An empirical comparison of stated and revealed preference value estimates.
Ecological Economics 2003, 45(3), 409-426.
- Philippidis G, Hubbard LJ. Varietal Utility and Patriotic Preference: the Case of European Agriculture.
Cahiers d'economie et sociologie rurales 2003, 66, 5-25.
- Smith RS, Charman D, Rushton SP, Sanderson RA, Simkin JM, Shiel RS. Vegetation change in an ombrotrophic mire in northern England after excluding sheep.
Applied Vegetation Science 2003, 6(2), 261-270.