Each year, staff and postgraduates in the School of Agriculture , Food & Rural Development publish a large number of articles based on their research, expertise and teaching. A full list of recent publications is given below; you can search this database for a researcher's name, publication year or a key word.
You can also find a selection of work published recently by individual staff members on their personal pages. Some of the research centres also have full lists of publications.
Year: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990 1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1984 1982 1981 1980 1979
- Martin RC, Astatkie T, Cooper JM, Fredeen AH. A comparison of methods used to determine biomass on naturalized swards.
Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 2005, 191(2), 152-160.
- Li Q, Gowing J. A daily water balance modelling approach for simulating performance of tank-based irrigation systems.
Water Resources Management 2005, 19(3), 211-231.
- Philippidis G, Hubbard L. A dynamic computable general equilibrium treatment of the ban on UK beef exports: A note.
Journal of Agricultural Economics 2005, 56(2), 307-312.
- Rowe G, Frewer LJ. A typology of public engagement mechanisms.
Science, Technology and Human Values 2005, 30(2), 251-290.
- Caetano M, Mata F, Freire S. Accuracy assessment of the Portuguese CORINE Land Cover map.
In: Global Developments in Environmental Earth Observation from Space: Proceedings of the 25th Annual Symposium of the European Association of Remote Sensing Laboratories (EARSeL). 2005, Porto, Portugal: MillPress.
- Dawson PJ. Agricultural exports and economic growth in less developed countries.
Agricultural Economics 2005, 33(2), 145-152.
- Brownlee IA, Allen A, Pearson JP, Dettmar PW, Havler ME, Atherton MR, Onsoyen E. Alginate as a source of dietary fiber.
Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 2005, 45(6), 497-510.
- Edge HL, Bulman CA, Edwards SA. Alternatives to nose-ringing in outdoor sows: The provision of root crops.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2005, 92(1-2), 15-26.
- Scott KE, Anderson C, Dunsford H, Benson JF, MacFarlane R. An Assessment of the Sensitivity and capacity of the Scottish seascape in relation to offshore windfarms.
Edinburgh: Scottish Natural Heritage, 2005. 103.
- Marie M, Edwards S, Gandini G, Reiss M, von Borrell E, ed. Animal Bioethics: Principles and Teaching methods.
Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers, 2005.
- Kennedy DO, Pace S, Milne A, Okello E, Scholey AB. Anxiolytic effects of single doses of sage (Salvia officinalis) in healthy volunteers.
In: Journal of Psychopharmacology: Summer Meeting of the British Association for Psychopharmacology. 2005, Harrogate, UK: Sage Publications Ltd.
- Lopez-Capel E, Bol R, Manning DAC. Application of simultaneous thermal analysis mass spectrometry and stable carbon isotope analysis in a carbon sequestration study.
In: Meeting of the Stable Isotope Mass Spectrometry Users Group. 2005, York University, Toronto: Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Kennedy A, Lopez-Capel E, Manning D, Wilkins R. Characterization of the sorption of an anthranilate fungicide in soil using thermal analytical and mineralogical techniques.
Pest Management Science 2005, 61(7), 705-714.
- Rezaaian M, Chaudhry AS. Chemical composition and in vitro organic matter degradability of various Iranian forages.
In: Proceedings of the British Society of Animal Science. 2005, York, UK.
- Chaudhry AS. Comparing two commercial enzymes to estimate in vitro proteolysis of purified or semi-purified proteins.
Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition 2005, 89(11-12), 403-412.
- Rose DA, Konukcu F, Gowing JW. Effect of watertable depth on evaporation and salt accumulation from saline groundwater.
Australian Journal of Soil Research 2005, 43(5), 565-573.
- Edwards SA. Enhancing sow performance and welfare by choice of dietary energy substrates.
Biotechnology in Animal Husbandry 2005, 21(5-6), 149-154.
- Oxley A, Torstensen BE, Rustan AC, Olsen RE. Enzyme activities of intestinal triacylglycerol and phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.).
Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 2005, 141B(1), 77-87.
- Petrovici DA, Ritson C, Ness M. Exploring disparities and similarities in European food consumption patterns.
Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales 2005, 75(2), 23-49.
- Beattie VE, Breuer K, O'Connell NE, Sneddon IA, Mercer JT, Rance KA, Sutcliffe MEM, Edwards SA. Factors identifying pigs predisposed to tail biting.
Animal Science 2005, 80(3), 307-312.
- Oxley A, Tocher DR, Torstensen BE, Olsen RE. Fatty acid utilisation and metabolism in caecal enterocytes of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fed dietary fish or copepod oil.
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta: Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids 2005, 1737(2-3), 119-129.
- Brazier-Hicks M, Edwards R. Functional importance of the family 1 glucosyltransferase UGT72B1 in the metabolism of xenobiotics in Arabidopsis thaliana.
PLANT JOURNAL 2005, 42, 556-566.
- Phillipson J, Daymond J, Lowe P, Lee R. Harnessing the social and natural sciences for sustainable rural development: introducing the rural economy and land use programme.
Farm Management 2005, 12(5), 277-286.
- Breuer K, Sutcliffe MEM, Mercer JT, Rance KA, O'Connell NE, Sneddon IA, Edwards SA. Heritability of clinical tail-biting and its relation to performance traits.
Livestock Production Science 2005, 93(1), 87-94.
- Yang M, Brazier M, Edwards R, Davis BG. High-throughput mass-spectroscopy monitoring for multisubstrate enzymes: Determining the kinetic parameters and catalytic activities of glycosyltransferases.
CHEMBIOCHEM 2005, 6, 346-357. In Preparation.
- Fischer ARH, De Jong AEI, De Jonge R, Frewer LJ, Nauta MJ. Improving Food Safety in the Domestic Environment: The Need for a Transdisciplinary Approach.
Risk Analysis 2005, 25(3), 503-517.
- Chaudhry AS. In vitro enzymatic proteolysis of different protein sources.
In: 56th Annual meeting of the European Association of Animal Production. 2005, Uppsala, Sweden: Wageningen Academic.
- Chaudhry AS. In vitro enzymatic proteolysis of different protein sources.
In: 56th Annual meeting of the EAAP. 2005, Uppsala, Sweden: Wageningen Academic.
- Nagah AM, Seal CJ. In vitro procedure to predict apparent antioxidant release from wholegrain foods measured using three different analytical methods.
Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2005, 85(7), 1177-1185.
- Gibbs D, Deutz P, Proctor A. Industrial Ecology and Eco-industrial Development: A Potential Paradigm for Local and Regional Development?.
Regional Studies 2005, 39(2), 171-183.
- O'Connell NE, Beattie VE, Sneddon IA, Breuer K, Mercer JT, Rance KA, Sutcliffe MEM, Edwards SA. Influence of individual predisposition, maternal experience and lactation environment on the responses of pigs to weaning at two different ages.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2005, 90(3-4), 219-232.
- Kobaek-Larsen M, Christensen LP, Vach W, Ritskes-Hoitinga J, Brandt K. Inhibitory effects of feeding with carrots or (-)-falcarinol on development of azoxymethane-induced preneoplastic lesions in the rat colon.
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2005, 53(5), 1823-1827.
- Bogue J, Ritson C. Integrating consumer information with the new product development process: the development of lighter dairy products.
International Journal of Consumer Studies 2005, 30(1), 44-54.
- Thybo AK, Bechmann IE, Brandt K. Integration of sensory and objective measurements of tomato quality: Quantitative assessment of the effect of harvest date as compared with growth medium (soil versus rockwool), electrical conductivity, variety and maturity.
Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2005, 85(13), 2289-2296.
- White B, Dawson PJ. Measuring price risk on UK arable farms.
Journal of Agricultural Economics 2005, 56(2), 239-252.
- Li Q, Gowing JW, Mayilswami C. Multiple-use management in a large irrigation system: An assessment of technical constraints to integrating aquaculture within irrigation canals.
Irrigation and Drainage 2005, 54(1), 31-42.
- Hunter MG, Brankin V, Quinn RL, Ferguson EM, Edwards SA, Ashworth CJ. Oocyte-somatic cell-endocrine interactions in pigs.
Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2005, 29(2), 371-384.
- Ells LJ, Seal CJ, Kettlitz B, Bal W, Mathers JC. Postprandial glycaemic, lipaemic and haemostatic responses in ingestion of rapidly and slowly digested starches in healthy young women.
British Journal of Nutrition 2005, 94(6), 948-955.
- Edwards SA. Product quality attributes associated with outdoor pig production.
Livestock Production Science 2005, 94(1-2), 5-14.
- Hasegawa T, Okello E, Yamada T. Protective effect of Japanese green tea against cognitive impairment in the elderly, a two-years follow-up observation .
Alzheimer's and Dementia 2005, 1(1), S100.
- De Boer M, Mccarthy M, Brennan M, Kelly AL, Ritson C. Public understanding of food risk issues and food risk messages on the island of Ireland: The views of food safety experts.
Journal of Food Safety 2005, 25(4), 241-265.
- Rezaeian M, Beakes GW, Chaudhry AS. Relative fibrolytic activities of anaerobic rumen fungi on untreated and sodium hydroxide treated barley straw in in vitro culture.
Anaerobe 2005, 11(3), 163-175.
- Phillipson J, Williams R. Review of the North East fisheries regeneration initiative.
Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2005. Centre for Rural Economy Research Report.
- Daymond J, Lowe P, Phillipson J. Rural Economy and Land Use Futures.
Newcastle Upon Tyne: Centre for Rural Economy, University of Newcastle, 2005. Rural Economy and Land Use Programme Briefing Series 2.
- Daymond J, Lowe P, Phillipson J. Rural Economy and Land Use Programme: The Unfolding Research Agenda.
2005. RELU Briefing Paper Series 3.
- Manning DAC, Lopez-Capel E, Barker S. Seeing soil carbon: Use of thermal analysis in the characterization of soil C reservoirs of differing stability.
Mineralogical Magazine 2005, 69(4), 425-435.
- Cookson WR, Abaye DA, Marschner P, Murphy DV, Stockdale EA, Goulding KWT. The contribution of soil organic matter fractions to carbon and nitrogen mineralization and microbial community size and structure.
Soil Biology & Biochemistry 2005, 37(9), 1726–1737.
- Van De Weerd HA, Docking CM, Day JEL, Edwards SA. The development of harmful social behaviour in pigs with intact tails and different enrichment backgrounds in two housing systems.
Animal Science 2005, 80(3), 289-298.
- Wattanakul W, Bulman CA, Edge HL, Edwards SA. The effect of creep feed presentation method on feeding behaviour, intake and performance of suckling piglets.
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2005, 92(1-2), 27-36.
- Hawken PAR, Beard AP, O'Meara CM, Duffy P, Quinn KM, Crosby TF, Boland MP, Evans ACO. The effects of ram exposure during progestagen oestrus synchronisation and time of ram introduction post progestagen withdrawal on fertility in ewes.
Theriogenology 2005, 63(3), 860-871.
- Arias P, Hallam D, Hubbard LJ, Liu P. The elusive tariff equivalent in the EU banana market.
Commodity Market Review 2005, (6), 107-124.
- Dawson PJ. The Export-Income Relationship: The Case of India.
Progress in Development Studies 2005, 5, 16-29.
- Hill T, Meunier N, Andriollo-Sanchez M, Ciarapica D, Hininger-Favier I, Polito A, OConnor JM, Coudray C, Cashman KD. The relationship between the zinc nutritive status and biochemical markers of bone turnover in older European adults: the ZENITH study.
European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2005, 59(s2), S73-S78.
- Velazquez MA, Newman M, Christie MF, Cripps PJ, Crowe MA, Smith RF, Dobson H. The usefulness of a single measurement of insulin-like growth factor-1 as a predictor of embryo yield and pregnancy rates in a bovine MOET program.
Theriogenology 2005, 64(9), 1977-1994.
- Grant OM, Leinonen I, Tronina L, Jones HG, Chaves MM. Thermal imaging of stomatal closure in grapevine: implications for improving yield and reducing water consumption.
In: Interdrought II. 2005, Rome, Italy.
- Madgwick S, Evans ACO, Beard AP. Treating heifers with GnRH from 4 to 8 weeks of age advanced growth and the age at puberty.
Theriogenology 2005, 63(8), 2323-2333.
- Leinonen I, Jones HG, Grant OM, Tronina L, Chaves MM, Tagliavia CPP. Uncertainty analysis of infrared imagery-based stomatal conductance estimation.
In: SEB Main Meeting. 2005, Barcelona, Spain.
- Ward N, Atterton JH, Kim T-Y, Lowe PD, Phillipson J, Thompson N. Universities, the Knowledge Economy and 'Neo-Endogenous Rural Development'.
Newcastle upon Tyne: Centre for Rural Economy, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2005. CRE Discussion Paper Discussion Paper Series No. 1.
- Gkartzios M, Scott M. Urban-generated rural housing and evidence of counterurbanisation in the Dublin city-region.
In: Moore, N; Scott, M, ed. Renewing urban communities: Environment, citizenship and sustainability in Ireland. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2005, pp.132-156.
- Lopez-Capel E, Sohi S, Gaunt J, Manning DAC. Use of thermogravimetry-differential scanning calorimetry to characterize modelable soil organic matter fractions.
Soil Science Society of America Journal 2005, 69(1), 136-140.
- Hill TR, Collins A, O'Brien MM, Kiely M, Flynn A, Cashman KD. Vitamin D intake and status in Irish postmenopausal women.
European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2005, 59(3), 404-410.
- Thane CW, Jones AR, Stephen AM, Seal CJ, Jebb SA. Whole-grain intake of British young people aged 4-18 years.
British Journal of Nutrition 2005, 94(5), 825-831.