Dr Catherine Tetard-Jones
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3784
- Address: Newcastle University,
I am a plant stress biologist, motivated by development of crop health technology (diagnostics & protection). My BSc was in Biological Sciences at Salford University (2003) with an industrial placement year in plant science to examine the effectiveness of plant treatments to enhance pest resistance. In 2007, I qualified with a PhD in Evolutionary Ecology at Manchester University, investigating plant modulation of rhizobacterial induced systemic resistance against insect pests. After my PhD, I moved to Newcastle University where I worked with Prof. Carlo Leifert and Prof. Angharad Gatehouse, gaining experience in plant stress molecular biology. In 2012, I applied for and was awarded a NERC discipline hopping award to spend 6 months in Prof. Steven Rushton's group, utilising numerical modelling for analysing dynamics of plant molecular response pathways. My current research investigates mechanisms underpinning herbicide resistance in Prof. Robert Edwards lab group, part of the BBSRC-HGCA Black-grass Resistance Initiative.
Member of the Society of Biology (MSB)
Member of the editorial board for Agronomy - a multidisciplinary and open access journal.
Reviewer for many subject related journals (e.g.Evolutionary Ecology, Journal of Proteomics, Plant Physiology, The American Naturalist).
Musings of a plant stress biologist
Throughout my research, I have been interested in crossing disciplines to synthesise a holistic picture of the dynamic mechanisms underpinning plant stress biology, mixing evolutionary ecology and quantitative genetics with molecular biology and numerical modelling. My research has focused on crop plant systems to enable translation of fundamental research into the development of sustainable crop health strategies.
My current research investigates mechanisms underpinning the evolution of herbicide resistance in Prof. Robert Edwards lab group, part of the BBSRC-HGCA Black-grass Resistance Initiative. I use a combination of evolutionary ecology experimentation and molecular techniques for:
- testing hypothesised mechanisms of black-grass adaptation of resistance against multiple herbicide modes of action.
- identification of biomarkers for the development of in-field herbicide resistance diagnostics
- Tétard-Jones C, Edwards R. Potential roles for microbial endophytes in herbicide tolerance in plants. Pest Management Science 2015, epub ahead of print.
- Tétard-Jones C, Gatehouse AMR, Cooper J, Leifert C, Rushton S. Modelling pathways to Rubisco degradation: a structural equation network modelling approach. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(2), e87597.
- Tétard-Jones C, Edwards MG, Rempelos L, Gatehouse AMR, Eyre M, Wilcockson SJ, Leifert C. Effects of previous crop management, fertilization regime and watersupply on potato tuber proteome and yield. Agronomy 2013, 3(1), 59-85.
- Rempelos L, Cooper J, Wilcockson S, Eyre M, Shotton P, Volakakis N, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR, Tétard-Jones C. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of potato to contrasting fertilisation regimes. Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 363-378.
- Tétard-Jones C, Shotton PN, Rempelos L, Cooper J, Eyre M, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of wheat to contrasting fertilisation regimes. Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 379-393.
- Bilsborrow PE, Cooper J, Tetard-Jones C, Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Eyre M, Schmidt C, Shotton PN, Volakakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ. The effect of organic and conventional management on the yield and quality of wheat grown in a long-term field trial. European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 51, 71-80.
- Palmer MW, Cooper J, Tétard-Jones C, Średnicka-Tobera D, Barański M, Eyre M, Shotton PN, Volkakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ, Bilsborrow PE. The influence of organic and conventional fertilisation and crop protection practices, preceding crop, harvest year and weather conditions on yield and quality of potato (Solanum tuberosum) in a long-term management trial. European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 49, 83-92.
- Tetard-Jones C, Kertesz MA, Preziosi RF. Identification of Plant Quantitative Trait Loci modulating a rhizobacteria-aphid indirect effect. PLoS One 2012, 7(7), e41524.
- Cooper J, Sanderson R, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Shotton P, Carmichael A, Haghighi RS, Tetard-Jones C, Volakakis N, Eyre M, Leifert C. Effect of Organic and Conventional Crop Rotation, Fertilization, and Crop Protection Practices on Metal Contents in Wheat (Triticum aestivum). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2011, 59(9), 4715-4724.
- Tetard-Jones C, Leifert C. Plasticity of yield components of winter wheat in response to cereal aphids. NJAS: Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences 2011, 58(3-4), 139-143.
- Tetard-Jones C, Kertesz MA, Preziosi RF. Quantitative Trait Loci mapping of phenotypic plasticity and genotype – environment interactions in plant and insect performance. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 2011, 366(1569), 1368-1379.
- Zytynska SE, Fleming S, Tetard-Jones C, Kertesz MA, Preziosi RF. Community genetic interactions mediate indirect ecological effects between a parasitoid wasp and rhizobacteria. Ecology 2010, 91, 1563-1568.
- Tetard-Jones C, Kertesz MA, Gallois P, Preziosi RF. Genotype-by-Genotype Interactions Modified by a Third Species in a Plant-Insect System. American Naturalist 2007, 170(3), 492-499.