Dr Diogo Monjardino De Souza Monteiro
Senior Lecturer in Agr-Business Man
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 6886
- Fax: +44 (0)191 208 6720
- Address: Room 4.07
School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Diogo is Senior Lecturer in Agribusiness Management and currently the director of the Agribusiness Management Bachelor’s degree at School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University.
He published at the American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness an Internationa Journal, British Food Journal, European Review of Agricultural Ecomomics and at Food Policy. Co-authored two book chapters on the economics of food safety and traceability. Between 2013 and 2016 he was Managing Editor of the Internationall Food and Agribusiness Management Review and in 2013-2014 co-edited the Special Issue Changing Food Consumption Behaviours published at Psychology and Marketing (vol 28, issue 3).
Recent projects are:
1. Smart nutrition labels –This ongoing project with colleagues at the Kent Business School and the School of Economics at the University of Kent. Our aim is to examine whether the provision of aggregate nutrition information on the content of food shopping basket helps consumer make healthier food purchases. This research is sponsored by the British Academy.
2. Fraud in Green markets – I am collaborating with colleagues at the Grenoble Applied Economics Lab, which is a joint venture between INRA and the University Pierre Mendes France. We developed an economic experiment to investigate the effect of market size and alternative monitoring and enforcement rules on the mitigation of fraud in labels with collective reputation (such as organic). This research has been sponsored by the INRA and the University Pierre Mendes France.Normal 0 false false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE
ACE3012 Advanced Agri-Business Management Module Leader
The purpose of this module is twofold: 1) to enhance your business decision making and reporting skills, using a market simulation tool. This will be covered in the Autumn Semester. 2) To introduce advanced corporate management strategy topics and current issues in agribusiness business management.
ACE3066 Food Policy and Evaluation Module Leader
This module examines food policy from an applied economics perspective. More specifically, we will introduce the economic concept of welfare and the basic frameworks is used to understand how food policy options are designed and assessed. Then we will discuss a range of contemporary food policy issues and present alternative instruments that have been used address them. Finally we will examine and discuss the implications of food policy options for businesses and consumers.
ACE8109 Agri-Food Marketing Module Leader
ACE8110 Food Policy and Evaluation Module Leader
- Souza Monteiro DM, Hooker NH. What initiatives are British food retailers taking to improve children’s health and nutrition?. Journal of Food Products Marketing 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Balcombe K, Fraser I M, Lowe B T, Souza Monteiro D. Information Customization and Food Choice. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 2016, 98(1), 54-73.
- Lowe B T, Fraser I M, Souza Monteiro D M. A Change for the Better? Digital Health Technologies and Changing Food Consumption Behaviors. Psychology & Marketing 2015, 32(5), 585-600.
- Lowe B T, Fraser I M, Souza Monteiro D M. Changing Food Consumption Behaviors. Psychology & Marketing 2015, 32(5), 481-485.
- Bonroy O, Garapin A, Hamilton SF, Souza Monteiro DM. Mislabeling in Collective Labels: an experimental analysis. In: 2015 Agricultural & Applied Economics Association and Western Agricultural Economics Association Joint Annual Meeting. 2015, San Francisco.
- Deselnicu O, Costanigro M, Souza Monteiro D M, Thilmany-McFadden D. A Meta-Analysis of Geographical Indication Food Valuation Studies: What Drives the Premium for Origin Labels?. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 2013, 38(2), 204-219.