The overall theme of my research is the consequences of animal management on their perfomance, ability to cope with pathogens and environmental impact.
Specific research questions include:
1. Prediction of animal responses to their management, including feeding and exposure to pathogens
2. Opportunities to improve nutient utilisation efficiency in livestock, through genetic selection and management
3. Competition for limiting resources between productive and functional traits in animals
4. The occurence and significance of pathogen induced anorexia.
I am addressing these questions across animals, both livestock and laboratory.
For my current research projects please see under ' Research'.
- Fellow of the Hellenic Agricultural Academy (2010)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (2009)
- Visiting Professor, Institute of Integrative Biology, University of Leeds (2008)
- Adjunct Professor, Animal and Poultry Science Department, University of Guelph, Canada (2008)
- Honorary Fellow of the Centre for Nutritional Modelling, University of Guelph, Canada (2006)
- Visiting Professor, Animal and Poultry Science Department, University of Guelph, Canada (2003-08)
- Sir John Hammond Award of the British Society of Animal Science (2002)
- The Nutrition society Silver Medal for Excellence in Nutritional Sciences (1996)
Animal Science Review (since 2002)
Journal of Animal Science (since 2012)
Poultry Science (since 2012)
Bulletin of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society (since 2012)
ACE2031 Animal Parasitology (ML)
ACE2034 Introduction to Immunology (ML)
ACE3046 Animal Science Issues