Dr Julia Cooper
Lecturer in Soil Science
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 166 183 0222
- Address: Nafferton Ecological Farming Group
BSc Agr 1986 University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Major: Soil Science, Minor: International Agriculture
MSc Biology 1994 Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
PhD Biology 2007 Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
My main areas of research interest are soil C and N cycling in agroecosytems, with particular emphasis on: reductions in N losses via leaching and denitrification; greenhouse gas emissions; and C sequestration. I have considerable experience using a range of techniques to study soil C and N processes. These include basic nutrient extractions, enzyme assays, soil C and N mineralization incubations, and nucleic acid techniques to study soil biodiversity.
I work in the area of organic farming and sustainability and have practical and research experience in organic sources of plant nutrients including compost, manure, green manures and cover crops.
I am coordinator of NUE-CROPS, which is a large integrating, research project related to the identification of genetic markers for improved nutrient use efficiency in wheat, potatoes, maize and oilseed rape (www.nuecrops.org). At Nafferton farm we have trials on wheat and potatoes as part of this project. This project will finish at the end of April 2014.
Part of the NUE-CROPS project involves detailed studies of C and N cycling processes in the rhizosphere of wheat, and investigations of genotypic effects on rhizosphere microbiology (especially diversity and activity of fungi and bacteria).
I am the Newcastle University lead researcher on the TILMAN project (www.tilman-org.net) which is a project that investigates the challenges associated with implementing reduced tillage methods in organic farming systems. This is funded by the EU CORE ORGANIC II programme and runs until July 2014.
I am also involved in another CORE ORGANIC programme: IMPROVE-P, which is a new project to investigate opportunities to recycle P more effectively in organic farming systems and looks at alternative P sources as well. This project started in June 2013 and will run up to the end of May 2016. We will be running field trials with wheat and potatoes in this project in the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
In the future I will continue to develop my research into the effects of soil management on soil-plant interactions, especially processes that control the cycling of C and N. I have two new CASE studentship projects (one started autumn 2013 and a second one for autumn 2014). Both of these focus on the use of Brassicas as biofumigating crops for the control of potato cyst nematodes and are conducted in collaboration with researchers at Science Advice for Scottish Agriculture in Edinburgh. I also supervise a student based at Scottish Rural University College in Edinburgh, who will study the soil food web in our long-term field trial plots and investigate the links between foodweb structure and incidence of pests.
My research roles include the management of the research activities described above, as well as preparation of future grant applications, statistical analysis of data and writing and editing manuscripts for publication (my own, as well as those of other members of our research group). I am also actively involved in postgraduate student supervision.
I currently supervise:
Mftah Almadni - Impacts of agriculture management on risks of nitrate leaching in crop rotations with potatoes and cereals (2010-2014)
Guillaume Barral-Baron - Investigation and validation of winter barley yield and nitrogen use efficiency QTLs (2010-2014)
Jodi Handley-Bell - Genotype-soil interactions regulating nutrient use efficiency in winter wheat (2010-2016)
Claire Wood - Working towards and understanding of the inhibitory effects of plant derived isothiocyanate compounds on the potato cyst nematodes (PCN) (2013-2017)
Celine Delabre - title to be confirmed (2013-2017)
I co-teach ACE1015 Soil Management for Crop and Animal Production with Dr. Robert Shiel.
I lead the postgraduate module ACE8062 in Soil Management in Ecological Farming Systems.
- Cooper J, Baranski M, Stewart G, Nobel-de Lange M, Bàrberi P, Fließbach A, Peigné J, Berner A, Brock C, Casagrande M, Crowley O, David C, De Vliegher A, Döring TF, Dupont A, Entz M, Gorsse M, Haase T, Halde C, Hammerl V, Huiting H, Leithold G, Messmer M, Schloter M, Sukkel W, van der Heijgen MGA, Willekens K, Wittwer R, Mäder P. Shallow non-inversion tillage in organic farming maintains crop yields and increases soil C stocks: a meta-analysis. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 2016. In Press.
- Orr CH, Stewart CJ, Leifert C, Cooper JM, Cummings SP. Effect of crop management and sample year on abundance of soil bacterial communities in organic and conventional cropping systems. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2015, 119(1), 208-214.
- Cooper JM, Mader P. Effects of reduced tillage intensity in organic farming systems on yield, weeds and soil carbon: a meta-analysis of published and unpublished data. Agronomy and Sustainable Development 2015. In Preparation.
- Swain EY, Almadni M, Leifert C, Stockdale EA, Cooper JM. NDICEA Calibration and Validation on a Northern UK Soil. Organic Agriculture 2015. Submitted.
- Li J, Cooper JM, Lin Z, Li Y, Yang X, Zhao B. Soil microbial community structure and function are significantly affected by long-term organic and mineral fertilization regimes in the North China Plain. Applied Soil Ecology 2015, 96, 75-87.
- van Bueren ETL, Thorup-Kristensen K, Leifert C, Cooper JM, Becker HC. Breeding for nitrogen efficiency: concepts, methods, and case studies. Euphytica 2014, 199(1-2), 1-2.
- Tétard-Jones C, Gatehouse AMR, Cooper J, Leifert C, Rushton S. Modelling pathways to Rubisco degradation: a structural equation network modelling approach. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(2), e87597.
- Swain EY, Rempelos L, Orr CH, Hall G, Chapman R, Almadni M, Stockdale EA, Kidd J, Leifert C, Cooper JM. Optimizing nitrogen use efficiency in wheat and potatoes: interactions between genotypes and agronomic practices. Euphytica 2014, 199(1-2), 119-136.
- Haghighi RS, Critchley N, Leifert C, Eyre M, Cooper J. Individual and interactive effects of crop type and management on weed and seed bank composition in an organic rotation. International Journal of Plant Production 2013, 7(2), 243-268.
- Quemada M, Baranski M, Nobel-de Lange MNJ, Vallejo A, Cooper JM. Meta-analysis of strategies to control nitrate leaching in irrigated agricultural systems and their effects on crop yield. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 2013, 174, 1-10.
- Rempelos L, Cooper J, Wilcockson S, Eyre M, Shotton P, Volakakis N, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR, Tétard-Jones C. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of potato to contrasting fertilisation regimes. Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 363-378.
- Tétard-Jones C, Shotton PN, Rempelos L, Cooper J, Eyre M, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of wheat to contrasting fertilisation regimes. Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 379-393.
- Bilsborrow PE, Cooper J, Tetard-Jones C, Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Eyre M, Schmidt C, Shotton PN, Volakakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ. The effect of organic and conventional management on the yield and quality of wheat grown in a long-term field trial. European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 51, 71-80.
- Palmer MW, Cooper J, Tétard-Jones C, Średnicka-Tobera D, Barański M, Eyre M, Shotton PN, Volkakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ, Bilsborrow PE. The influence of organic and conventional fertilisation and crop protection practices, preceding crop, harvest year and weather conditions on yield and quality of potato (Solanum tuberosum) in a long-term management trial. European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 49, 83-92.
- Giotis C, Theodoropoulou A, Cooper J, Hodgson R, Shotton PN, Shiel RS, Eyre M, Wilcockson S, Markellou E, Liopa-Tsakalidis A, Volakakis N, Leifert C. Effect of variety choice, resistant rootstocks and chitin soil amendments on soil-borne diseases in soil-based, protected tomato production systems. European Journal of Plant Pathology 2012, 134(3), 605-617.
- Orr CH, Leifert C, Cummings SP, Cooper JM. Impacts of Organic and Conventional Crop Management on Diversity and Activity of Free-Living Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria and Total Bacteria Are Subsidiary to Temporal Effects. PLoS One 2012, 7(12), e52891.
- Cooper JM, Burton D, Daniell TJ, Griffiths BS, Zebarth BJ. Carbon mineralization kinetics and soil biological characteristics as influenced by manure addition in soil incubated at a range of temperatures. European Journal of Soil Biology 2011, 47(6), 392-399.
- Orr CH, James A, Leifert C, Cooper JM, Cummings SP. Diversity and Activity of Free-Living Nitrogen-Fixing Bacteria and Total Bacteria in Organic and Conventionally Managed Soils. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2011, 77(3), 911-919.
- Cooper J, Sanderson R, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Shotton P, Carmichael A, Haghighi RS, Tetard-Jones C, Volakakis N, Eyre M, Leifert C. Effect of Organic and Conventional Crop Rotation, Fertilization, and Crop Protection Practices on Metal Contents in Wheat (Triticum aestivum). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2011, 59(9), 4715-4724.
- Cooper JM, Butler G, Leifert C. Life cycle analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from organic and conventional food production systems, with and without bio-energy options. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences 2011, 58(3-4), 185-192.
- Dessureault-Rompré J, Zebarth BJ, Burton DL, Sharifi M, Cooper J, Grant CA, Drury CF. Relationships among mineralizable soil nitrogen, soil properties and climatic indices. Soil Science Society of America Journal 2010, 74(4), 1218-1227.
- Giotis C, Markelou E, Theodoropoulou A, Toufexi E, Hodson R, Shotton PN, Shiel RS, Cooper J, Leifert C. Effect of soil amendments and biological control agents (BCAs) on soil-borne root diseases caused by Pyrenochaeta lycopersici and Verticillium albo-atrum in organic greenhouse tomato production systems. European Journal of Plant Pathology 2009, 123(4), 387-400.
- Giotis C, Markelou E, Theodoropoulou A, Toufexi E, Hodson R, Shotton P, Shiel R, Cooper J, Leifert C. Effect of soil amendments and biological control agents (BCSs) on soil-borne root diseases caused by Pyrenochaeta lycopersici and Verticillium albo-atrum in organic greenhouse tomato production systems. European Journal of Plant Pathology 2009, 123(4), 387-400.
- Lueck L, Cooper J, Schmidt C, Eyre MD, Shotton PN, Bennett RN, Rosa E, Daood H, Hajslova H, Schulzova V, Christensen LP, Leifert C. Effects of organic and conventional crop management practices on the yield and nutritional quality of field crops. In: 3rd International Congress on Food and Nutrition. 2009, Antalya, Turkey.
- Lehesranta SJ, Koistinen KM, Massat N, Davies HV, Shepherd LVT, McNicol JW, Cakmak I, Cooper J, Luck L, Karenlampi SO, Leifert C. Effects of agricultural production systems and their components on protein profiles of potato tubers. Proteomics 2007, 7(4), 597-604.
- Sharifi M, Zebarth BJ, Burton DL, Grant CA, Porter GA, Cooper JM, Leclerc Y, Moreau G, Arsenault WJ. Evaluation of laboratory-based indices of nitrogen availability as predictors of field-based estimates of soil nitrogen supply in potato production. Plant and Soil 2007, 301(1-2), 203-214.
- Sharifi M, Zebarth BJ, Burton DL, Grant CA, Cooper JM. Evaluation of some indices of potentially mineralizable nitrogen in soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal 2007, 71(4), 1233-1239.
- Martin RC, Astatkie T, Cooper JM, Fredeen AH. A comparison of methods used to determine biomass on naturalized swards. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 2005, 191(2), 152-160.
- Warman PR, Cooper JM. Fertilization of a mixed forage crop with fresh and composted chicken manure and NPK fertilizer: Effects on dry matter yield and soil and tissue N, P and K. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 2000, 80(2), 337-344.
- Warman PR, Cooper JM. Fertilization of a mixed forage crop with fresh and composted chicken manure and NPK fertilizer: Effects on soil and tissue Ca, Mg, S, B, Cu, Fe, Mn and Zn. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 2000, 80, 345-352.
- Cooper JM, Warman PR. Fertilization of a mixed forage crop with fresh and composted chicken manure: Effects on soil and plant Cu and Zn. In: International Composting Symposium (ICS'99). 2000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: CBA Press.
- Martin RC, Astatkie T, Cooper JM. The effect of Bradyrhizobium strains on monocropped and intercropped soybean (Glycine max L. Merr.) biomass and protein. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 1998, 181(1), 1-6.
- Martin RC, Astatkie T, Cooper JM. The effect of soybean variety on corn-soybean intercrop biomass and protein yields. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 1998, 78(2), 289-294.
- Cooper JM, Warman PR. Effects of three fertility amendments on soil dehydrogenase activity, organic C and pH. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 1994, 77, 281-283.