Degree option tutor for Rural Resource Management degree
BA(Open) Mathematics and Statistics
BSc Hons(Newcastle) Soil Science
Advisor with North of Scotland College of Agriculture
1. Haymeadows research - long term changes in species compossiton and interactions between species. factors influencing yield of grasslands.
2. Precision Farming - Relationship of plant growth to changes in soil and soil fertility and the production of efficient maps of soil variability at minimum cost.
3. Using Indigenous Knowledge - providing more sustainable methods of production through study of recent and past land use systems.
4. Agricultural history and archaeology - Reconstructing past systems of food production and land use from historic and excavation sources.
Using the general linear model to efficiently analyse results from designed experiments and surveys.
1. MITEeHEN: Non-chemical Control of Red Mite in Laying Hen Housing Systems. DEFRA
2. Diversification of Grassland Through the Manipulation of Plant-soil Interactions and the Identification of Indicators of Restoration. DEFRA
3. RESCAPE. CEC
4. The Limestone Country Project: The impact of mixed cattle on sheep grazing on vegetaions diversity in the Pennine Dales. YDNP.
Research on haymeadows contnues to evelve and fresh funding and links with other organisations are developing. Collaborative research with other organisations on this topic is always welcome.
Historical research tends to be very serendipitous and work is planned on early manuring systems and knowledge, and is now in progress on the Europe wide potato blight outbreak of the 1840s and on land use strategies in Papua New Guinea.
Apart form expertise on land managemnt and sustainabiltiy of systems in the past and present, and in hay meadow management, I have developed a substantial expertise in data analysis. Where possible I prefer to combine both roles but in other situations I have been asked to help with data analysis from clinical and other trials where my particular statistical expertise is sought.
Awarded Baguley Prize by Prehistoric Society 1996.
1. DEFRA for haymeadows research £131,974
2. YDNP for grazing diversification £98,221
3. DEFRA fro MITEehen project £250,562
4. CEC for RESCAPE project £54,375
ACE3035 Sustainable land Management ML
ACE1015 Soil management for Crop and Animal Production ML
ACE1017 Microcomputing and data analysis I ML
ACE2030 Microcomputing and data analysis II
ACE2032 Climatic and Environmental Change ML
BIO2011 Quantitative techniques
ACE8022 Quantitative Techniques, Experimental Design And Data Analysis ML