I am a professor of Environmental Economics with wide research experience in project and policy appraisal in the environment and in particular the use and development of methods for environmental and landscape valuation. My teaching focuses on environmental economics, landscape economics and Microeconomics. I am the author of over forty scientific articles in refereed journals, text books and many conference communications.
Current and past positions
- Professor of environmental economics, AGROCAMPUS OUEST (Angers- France). September 2005 to present.
- Lecturer of economics, National Institute of Horticulture and Landscape (Angers – France), September 2001 to August 2005.
- Assistant professor of economics, University of Paris Ouest – La Défense (Paris – France), September 1999 to august 2001.
- Research Follow, ECONOMIX, University of Paris Ouest – La Défense (Paris – France), September 1996 to august 1999.
- PhD, Environmental Economics, University of Paris X Nanterre, December 2001.
Doctoral dissertation: “Growth and environmental concerns; Macroeconomics consequences.”
- M.A. (DEA), Environmental Economics, University of Paris X Nanterre, 1996.
Master Thesis: “Sustainable Development; concepts and indicators”
Environmental Economics, Agricultural Economics, Urban Economics, Landscape Economics, Economic Growth Theory, Sustainable Development.
Oueslati W. (ed.) (2010), Economic analyzes of Landscape, 248 p, QUAE Editions, Paris.
Recent Publications in refereed journals (last five years):
1. Oueslati W. and J. Salanié (2011) “Landscape Valuation and Planning”, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Vol 54 (forthcoming)..
2. Oueslati W. (2010) “Economic stakes of landscape governance”, Revista Brasil de Horticultura Ornamental, Vol. 16, n°1.
3. Oueslati W. and N. Turpin (2008) “Landscape in the dynamics of local economies”, Landscape Research, Vol 33, n°3.
4. Oueslati W., N. Madariaga and J. Salanié (2008), "Contingent Valuation of Landscape Amenities related to an urban greenspace", Journal of Environmental and Agricultural Studies, Vol 2, n°82.
5. Oueslati W. and R. Lifran (2007), "Éléments d'économie du paysage", Economie Rurale, N°256, November (with R. Lifran)
6. Oueslati W. and G. Lafforgue (2007) “Optimal soil management and environmental policy”, Economics Bulletin, Vol. 17 n°3.
7. Oueslati W. and B. Fragny (2004), “Monitoring and Environmental Regulation of Horticultural Activities”, Acta Horticulturae, n°655.
8. Oueslati W. (2002), “Environmental Policy in an Endogenous Growth Model with Human Capital and Endogenous Labour Supply”, Economic Modelling (19)3, pp. 487-507.
Chapter of books
§ Oueslati W. (2010), “ Landscape, public decisions and intergenerational equity “, in Y. Luginbhul (ed) “Landscape and sustainable development”, CEMAGREF Edition.
§ Oueslati W., B. Plottu et J. Salanié (2010), ”Economic values of landscape and public decision”, in C. Fleurent (ed), Transversal approaches in Landscape, Armand Colin Edition.
Communications in International conferences (last five years):
§ "Some perspectives on landscape economics", 1st International Conference on Landscapes Economics, Vienna – Austria, July 2009.
§ "The influence of agricultural amenities on the provision of urban green spaces", 12th Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economics (EAAE), Ghent – Belgium, 26-29 august 2008.
§ "Hedonic estimates of agricultural landscape values in suburban areas", 12th Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economics (EAAE), Ghent - Belgium, 26-29 august 2008
§ "The effects of spatial spillovers on the provision of urban green spaces", 16th annual conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economics (EAERE), , Gothenburg-Sweden, 25-28 June 2008
§ "Environmental Policy and Soil conservation", The 3rd World Congress of International Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Kyoto -Japon, July 2006.
Invited participation in conferences
§ Economic governance of landscapes, Programme Interreg IV, 27 mai 2010, Wasmes - Belgium.
§ International Symposium on Landscape, Federal University of Lavras, 19 mai 2010, Lavras - Brasil.
§ Landscape economics and public policies, European Convention of Landscape, Malmö/Alnarp, Suède, 8-9 octobre 2010.
Special issues editors:
· Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Vol 54, n°1, 2011.
· Landscape Research, Vol 33, n° 3, 2008
· “Economic values of urban green spaces”, 2002- 2006, funded by the French Ministry of Ecology. (The applicant was the coordinator)
· “Management strategies for an invasive species: the importance of stock externalities”, 2004- 2008, funded by the French National Agency of Research (ANR). (the applicant was a participant)
· “Hedonic price evaluation of agricultural landscape values in suburban areas”, 2005-2009, funded by the Region of Pays de la Loire. (the applicant was a participant)
· “European Consortium on Landscape Economics”, 2005-ongoing, funded by the French Ministry of Ecology. (The applicant was the coordinator)
· Coordinator of The European Consortium on Landscape Economics (2005-ongoing)
· Head of the Landscape Department (2006-2010)
· Deputy Director of a joint research team GRANEM (UMR MA 49, University of Angers).
· Head of the Master “Landscape Planning” at the National Institute of Horticulture and Landscape (2006-2009).
Ph.D. Studentships awarded
· Benjamin FRAGNY (2001-2005) “Monitoring and Environmental Regulation of Horticultural Activities”
· Johanna CHOUMERT (2005-2009) “Green policy at local public goods”
· Mohammed EBBADALLAH (2007-ongoing) “Role of the GIS in the rural development: case of EL Gharbia in Egypt
· Thomas Coisnon (2010- ongoing) “Spatial Planning and agricultural policies”.
Land Use Policy, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Landscape Research, Economie Rurale, French Review of Economics, Revue d’économie politique, Economic Modelling, Journal of Environmental and Agricultural Studies.
Courses in the Engineering programme of the AGROCAMPUS OUEST
· Environmental Economics (2001 - ongoing);
· Microeconomics (2001 – ongoing);
· Landscape Economics (2002 – ongoing);
Courses in the Master programmes of the Universities of Angers, Nanterre and LeMans :
· Sustainable Development Economics (2003 – ongoing);
· Economic Growth Theory (1997-2001);
· Macroeconomics (1998-2001);