- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6619
- Address: Human Nutrition Research Centre
School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have worked for the University since 1991, in the fields of health and nutrition. Primarily I’m involved in human intervention studies, but also in tissue culture experiments and the resulting laboratory analysis including use of HPLC, GC, GC-MS, Pentra automated spectrophotometer and ELISA.
I am also the Person Designate for the Human Tissue Authority for the Agriculture Building satellite site.
Currently I’m working on inGRAINed HEALTH, a human intervention study looking at the effects of whole or refined grain wheat on markers of cardiovascular health.
BSc Hons Applied Chemistry
- Williams EA, Welfare M, Spiers A, Hill MH, Bal W, Gibney ER, Duckworth Y, Powers HJ, Mathers JC. Systemic folate status, rectal mucosal folate concentration and dietary intake in patients at differential risk of bowel cancer (The FAB2 Study). European Journal of Nutrition 2013, 52(7), 1801-1810.
- Haldar S, Beckmann M, Bal W, Fawcett L, Ross A, Brandt K, Draper J, Seal C. Biomarkers of whole-grain intake: contribution of alkylresorcinols and mammalian lignans to the metabolome. London, UK: Food Standards Agency, 2010. N05075.
- Wesnes KA, Brooker H, Watson AW, Bal W, Okello E. Effects of the Red Bull Energy Drink on cognitive function and mood in healthy young volunteers. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2016, Epub ahead of print.