The North East Dementia Alliance (NEDA) was formed in 2008 and is a partnership of key organisations and individuals concerned with the effective development and implementation of the National Dementia Strategy in the North East.
Key to the Alliance is involving people with dementia in every aspect of our work. The Alliance works to improve services around six key priorities:
- good quality early diagnosis
- improved quality of care in general hospitals
- living well with dementia in care homes
- reduction of the inappropriate prescribing of anti-psychotic medication
- development of dementia friendly communities
- improving care and support to people with dementia from minority communities
Living with Dementia: A Carer's Perspective
The video, Living with Dementia: A Carer's Perspective, is an interview with Mr and Mrs Simpson, a married couple who made the decision to move home after Mrs Simpson was diagnosed with dementia.
It highlights some of the issues and potential benefits of making such a move in this situation and also the importance of housing in supporting people living with dementia and their carers. It was commissioned by NEDA and the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS) for the North East housing and dementia conference in January 2014 run with the National Housing Federation and the Voluntary Organisations' Network North East (VONNE).
Reports and Publications
All reports from the Alliance are added to the Public Health Intelligence North East (PHINE) website. Reports include workforce and dementia statistics for the North East. Recent work produced by the North East Dementia Alliance includes:
Dementia 2014: A North East Perspective
The following documents outline the status of dementia care in the North East of England as of July 2014, by Debbie J Smith and Peter Otter.
- Dementia: a North East perspective (PDF: 6.2MB)
- NEDA case studies (PDF: 1.1MB)
- NEDA summary report (PDF: 1.85MB)
- NEDA 'Think' piece (PDF: 1.07MB)
- Infographic - dementia in North East England (PDF: 575KB)
- Dementia friendly communities newsletter March 2014 (PDF: 692KB)
- Dementia resource guide February 2014 (PDF: 516KB)
- Working with people with dementia and their carers November 2013 (PDF: 2.10MB)
- NEDA newsletter - August 2013 (PDF: 622KB)
- About the North East Dementia Alliance June 2013 (PDF: 128KB)
- NEDA newsletter - April 2013 (PDF: 432KB)
- Support for people with dementia in minority communities February 2013 (PDF: 1.49MB)
- NEDA newsletter - February 2013 (PDF: 214KB)
- Knowing the foundations of dementia friendly communities for the North East September 2012 (PDF: 1.1MB)
- Support for people with dementia in minority communities August 2012 (PDF: 213KB)