Ali Madanipour is Professor of Urban Design and the Director of Global Urban Research Unit at Newcastle University (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/guru/). He has studied (MArch, PhD), practised, researched, and taught architecture, urban design and planning, winning design and research awards, and working with academic and municipal partners from around the world. His work has been translated into French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Persian and Spanish. He has been the City of Vienna Senior Visiting Professor at the Technical University of Vienna (2010), the Wits-Claude Leon Distinguished Scholar at the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (2011), and Visiting Professor at the Polytechnic University of Milan (2015).
Forthcoming books include:
Published books include:
Design, development and management of cities, in particular research into: the urban space, its social and psychological significance, processes that shape it, agencies of urban change, and implications of change for disadvantaged social groups and the environment.
Currently supervising doctoral candidates on public space, urban development and management.
- Territorial Approaches for New Governance, 2011-14 (ESPON)
- Territorial Indicators of Poverty and Social Exclusion in Europe, 2012-14 (ESPON)
- Urban Project’s Workshops And Responsible Design, 2012-13 (ERASMUS) (http://areeweb.polito.it/didattica/UPWARD/)
- Spatial innovation, planning, design and user involvement, 2010-14 (SBO-IWT) (http://www.spindus.org/)
- Sustainable Urban Metabolism for Europe, 2008-2011 (European Commission)(www.sume.at/)
- Public space vitality in the Northeast region, 2006 (Culture Northeast, One Northeast)(www.ignite-ne.com/ignite/Events0.nsf/0/96D2165A924F9D63802574640032BD42/$file/2007%20-%20Public%20Vitality%20Final%20Draft.pdf )
- The values of place, 2005 (Commission for Architecture & the Built Environment) (www.cabe.org.uk/data/pdfs/physical_capital.pdf)
- City and University, 2005 (Cambridge-MIT Institute & Newcastle University)
- Neighbourhood Governance: Capacity for social integration, 2001-4 (EC) (www.infra.kth.se/SB/sp/forskning/index.html)
- Social Innovation, Governance and Community Building, 2001-4 (EC)
- Cities’ Actions to Combat Social Exclusion (CASE), 2001-3 (EC)
- Understanding Social Exclusion as a Learning Process, 2001-2 (EC)
- Social Exclusion in European Cities, 1998-99 (EC)
- Institutional capacity, partnerships and city centre regeneration, 1998-99 (ESRC)