Dr Loes Veldpaus
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: @loena
- Personal Website: https://historicurbanlandscapes.wordpress.com
- Address: Address: School of Architecture Planning and Landscape
Claremont Tower, 4th floor
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am educated an architect and specialising in heritage studies. My interests lie at the interface of heritage management, cultural policy and urban studies, and my research is focused on past, current, and future management of the historic built environment, and the role of cultural heritage management in urban transformation. I joined the School of Architecture, Planning & Landscape in Dec 2015, after finishing my PhD in the Netherlands (TU/e) on urban heritage management - Historic urban landscapes: framing the integration of urban and heritage planning in multilevel governance.
I am reviews editor and reviewer for the Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development since 2011, and was a visiting scholar at the Department of Archaeology of Durham University (Oct-Dec 2014) and at the Department of Urbanism of Delft University of Technology (Jan 2016). In 2013 I was a finalist for the ENCATC - ECF Cultural Policy Researchers Award.
In my research I look at the following areas:
1) past, present, and future management of the historic environment, especially in the context of ‘Historic Urban Landscapes’. Following my PhD work, I am exploring the application of this new concept with heritage managers and policy makers in local authorities;
2) innovating understandings of the process of heritage production, of what heritage is and what heritage does, defining heritage as a practice of using the past for contemporary purposes and as a future-making practice. In the context of this theme I am developing a project on citizen science for heritage. I am working on a project on Brexit and heritage;
3) society and smart urbanisms, consisting of empirical work on policies, participatory practices, and citizen experiences in the Netherlands in relation to claims on concepts as ‘quadruple helix’, ‘smart city’ and ‘living labs’ together with Sukanya Krishnamurthy;
4) across these areas I work on empirical and methodological development, collaborative and reflective research practices, and I like to experiment with the use of digital technologies.
my teaching includes
TCP8024 : Consultancy Project (group tutor)
In 2014, I obtained my Dutch University Teaching Qualification (VSNU, TU/e).
- Pendlebury J, Veldpaus L. Heritage and Brexit. Planning Theory & Practice 2018. In Press.
- Krishnamurthy S, Veldpaus L. Aligning experimentation and place-based dynamics: a case of Eindhoven. Urban Research & Practice 2017. Submitted.
- Veldpaus L, Pendlebury J. Brexit & Heritage: report ESRC IAA funded workshop. Newcastle upon Tyne: Global Urban Research Unit, Newcastle University, 2017.
- Veldpaus L, Pendlebury J. Heritage as a Vehicle for Change: the case of Bigg Market, Newcastle upon Tyne. Planning Practice and Research 2017, 32. Submitted.
- Veldpaus L, Pereira Roders A. Historic urban landscape approach as a tool for sustainable urban heritage management. In: Asikainen S; Brites C; Plebańczyk K; Rogač Mijatović L; Soini K, ed. Culture in sustainability: towards a transdisciplinary approach. Helsinki: University of Jyväskylä, 2017, pp.61-73.
- Veldpaus L. Integrating policy: the HUL approach in Amsterdam. In: Pereira Roders, A.; Bandarin, F, ed. Historic Urban Landscape: Five Years, Twenty-five cities, Hundred lessons. Springer, 2017. Submitted.
- Davies JG, PereiraRoders A, Veldpaus L, Semple S. #invadeDurham: Identifying the Significance beyond Outstanding Universal Value. In: HERITAGE 2016 – 5th International Conference on Heritage and Sustainable Development. 2016, Lisbon, Portugal: Green Lines Institute.
- Veldpaus L. Amsterdam: Heritage policy analysis tool for the HUL approach. In: The HUL Guidebook: Managing heritage in dynamic and constantly changing urban environments. Ballarat, Shanghai: WHITRAP, City of Ballarat, Tongji University, Federation University Australia, 2016, pp.50-55.
- Sobhani Sanjbod H, Hermans LMC, Reijnders DAH, Veldpaus L. Captain, where can we find the attributes?. The Historic Environment: Policy & Practice 2016, 7(2-3), 177-188.
- Veldpaus L. Heritage management and sustainable development in perspective: theory, law, and practice. Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development 2015, 5(3).
- Veldpaus L. Historic urban landscapes : framing the integration of urban and heritage planning in multilevel governance. Eindhoven: Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, 2015.
- Veldpaus L. Reconnecting the city: the historic urban landscape approach and the future of urban heritage [Book review]. Cultural Trends 2015, 24(4), 340-342.
- Veldpaus L, Pereira Roders A. Learning from a Legacy: Venice to Valletta. Change Over Time 2014, 4(2), 244-263.
- Veldpaus L, Pereira Roders A, Colenbrander BJF. Urban Heritage: Putting the Past into the Future. The Historic Environment: Policy & Practice 2013, 4(1), 3-18.