- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4744
- Personal Website: https://organseverywhere.com/
- Address: School of Architecture, Planning & Landscape
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
Simone Ferracina is a Research Assistant at the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, Newcastle University.
He is a PhD candidate in Philosophy, Art and Critical Thought at the European Graduate School, Saas-Fee, and the Director of the Œ Case Files imprint in collaboration with Organs Everywhere (Œ) and Punctum Books.
Prior to joining Newcastle University, Simone was an Associate and Project Manager/Architect at Richard Meier & Partners Architects LLP in New York City, with high-profile international projects in Italy, Czech Republic and Taiwan.
Diploma of Architect (BArch + MArch), Accademia di Architettura, Mendrisio, Switzerland (USI AAM)
I am interested in experimental approaches that question the boundaries and methodological orthodoxies of the architectural profession. My current research interests include living and metabolic architecture, up-cycling and the reactivation of wastes through design.
I am working on the Horizon 2020 Future Emerging Technologies Open award for the Living Architecture (LIAR) project.
- Ferracina S, ed. Organs Everywhere No.5: Ghostly. Newcastle upon Tyne: Organs Everywhere, 2017.
- Ferracina S. Blake Blake Blake. Continent 2015, 4.3: Intangible Architectures, 52-56.
- Ferracina S. Translucent Bodies. Thresholds 2014, 42: Human, 70-73.
- Ferracina S. Cyber Imageability and the Incommensurable Future of Cities. Barcelona: dpr-barcelona, 2013.
- Armstrong R, Ferracina S, ed. Unconventional Computing: Design Methods for Adaptive Architecture. Toronto: Riverside Architectural Press, 2013.
- Ferracina S. How to Build a House: Fairy Tale of a Sustainable Future. Volume 2013, 35: Everything under Control, 124-130.
- Ferracina S. The Future Architect. 306090 Architecture Journal 2013, 15: (Non-) Essential Knowledge for (New) Architecture, 170-179.
- Ferracina S, ed. Organs Everywhere No.4: Material Shifts. 2012.
- Ferracina S, ed. Organs Everywhere No.3: Monsters and Cyborgs. 2011.
- Spiller N, Ferracina S. Organs Everywhere No.2: Alternate Ecologies. 2011.
- Ferracina S. Super-Natural Garden. Kerb Journal of Landscape Architecture 2011, 19: Paradigms of Nature: Post Natural Futures, 26-31.
- Armstrong R, Ferracina S, Caldwell G, Ieropoulos I, Rimbu G, Adamatzky A, Phillips N, De Lucrezia D, Imhof B, Hanczyc MM, Nogales J, Garcia J. Living Architecture (LIAR): Metabolically engineered building units. In: Heisel, F; Hebel, D, ed. Cultivated Building Materials: Industrialized Natural Resources for Architecture and Construction. Berlin, Germany: Birkhauser, 2017, pp.170-177.
- Armstrong R, Ferracina S, Kakalis C, Hughes R. Notating not knowing: The oceanic challenge to format and medium. Edinburgh Architectural Research 2017, 35. In Press.
- Armstrong RA, Ferracina S, Hughes R. Designing with demons: In search of Living Bricks in Estonia. A workshop at TTU Academy of Architecture and Urban Studies by the Experimental Architecture Group (Rachel Armstrong, Simone Ferracina, Rolf Hughes) with Kristi Grisakov. Tallinn, Estonia: EU, Newcastle University, TTU, East Kultuurkapital, 2017.