Emeritus Professor Alasdair Edwards
Professor of Coral Reef Ecology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6898
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5228
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/tcmweb/ctcms/edwards_aj.htm
- Address: School of Biology
Newcastle Upon Tyne
From 1980-86 I worked largely on reef fish systematics and biogeography. In 1987 I was appointed to a Leverhulme Teaching Fellowship to help establish the MSc in Tropical Coastal Management. This led to a university Lectureship in 1990, a Senior Lectureship in 1994, and a Personal Chair in 2010. During this time my research focus changed to the science underpinning coastal management in the tropics, research on fishery and other human impacts on coral reefs, applications of remote sensing technologies to coastal management, and latterly the natural recovery processes of reefs and coral reef restoration science. I chaired the Restoration and Remediation Working Group of the GEF/World Bank funded Coral Reef Targeted Research & Capacity Building for Management programme from 2004-2010.
1988 MSc Computing Science, University of Newcastle
1979 PhD Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge
1978 MA University of Cambridge
1974 BA (Honours) Natural Sciences (Zoology), University of Cambridge
Chartered Biologist and Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology (CBiol, FRSB)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Fellow of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom (FMBA)
European Countries Biologists Association, European Professional Biologist (EurProBiol)
International Society for Reef Studies
My current research focuses on a) spatial and temporal patterns of recovery of coral reefs from physical damage and mass bleaching events, b) how reef restoration technologies can assist natural recovery processes, c) how gear changes and reserves can assist sustainable fisheries development, and d) the systematics and biogeography or reef fish.
Use of satellite and airborne remote sensing for the mapping and assessment of coastal habitats and resources.
I have recently finished running three international research projects:
Coral reef restoration and remediation: this is one of six integrated programmes of research which form part of the GEF/World Bank funded Coral Reef Targeted Research & Capacity Building for Management project. Following the Asian tsunami tragedy in 2004 the Restoration and Remediation Working Group (RRWG) issued an Advisory Brief on reef restoration for governments, agencies and NGOs in the region. In 2007 we produced Reef Restoration Concepts and Guidelines which is now also available in French, Bahasa Indonesia and Spanish, followed in 2010 by a Reef Rehabilitation Manual. The research of RRWG members Alasdair Edwards, Edgardo Gomez (Philippines), James Guest (Singapore), Andrew Heyward (Australia) and Buki Rinkevich (Israel) was recently featured in Science.
Developing ubiquitous restoration practices for Indo-Pacific reefs: European Commission funded Framework 6 project led by Prof. Buki Rinkevich, National Institute of Oceanography (Israel), working primarily with Prof. Edgardo Gomez (University of the Philippines, Marine Science Institute). Others partners include Conzorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Scienze del Mare (Italy), National University of Singapore and Phuket Marine Biological Center (Thailand).
Developing reserves for biodiversity conservation and sustainable fisheries: a Darwin Initiative project with Shoals Rodrigues funded by the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Also involved as
UK advisers are Dr Fiona Gell (Isle of Man), Dr Charles Anderson (Atoll Research).
My last PhD student, Anne-Marie Kitchen-Wheeler, successfully completed her study on the behavioural ecology of Alfred's manta (Manta alfredi) in the Maldives in 2013.
Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of SECORE International (a leading conservation organization for the protection and restoration of coral reefs).
Chair of the Technical Steering Committee of the GEF/World Bank Capturing Coral Reef Ecosystem Services (CCRES) project since 2015.
Member of IFRECOR (Initiative Française pour les Récifs Coralliens) International Panel of experts on reef habitat classification in French Overseas Territories.
Chair of the Restoration and Remediation Working Group (RRWG) of the GEF/World Bank Coral Reef Targeted Research & Capacity Building for Management programme 2004-2010.
MST8011 Critical appraisal of coastal production systems
- Keith SA, Maynard JA, Edwards AJ, Guest JR, Bauman AG, VanHooidonk R, Heron SF, Berumen ML, Bouwmeester J, Piromvaragorn S, Rahbek C, Baird AH. Coral mass spawning predicted by rapid seasonal rise in ocean temperature. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 2016, 283(1830).
- Edwards AJ, Guest JR, Heyward AJ, Villanueva RD, Baria MV, Bollozos ISF, Golbuu Y. Direct seeding of mass-cultured coral larvae is not an effective option for reef rehabilitation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 2015, 525, 105-116.
- Brown BE, Dunne RP, Edwards AJ, Sweet MJ, Phongsuwan N. Decadal environmental 'memory' in a reef coral?. Marine Biology 2015, 162(2), 479-483.
- Guest JR, Baria MV, Gomez ED, Heyward AJ, Edwards AJ. Closing the circle: is it feasible to rehabilitate reefs with sexually propagated corals?. Coral Reefs 2014, 33(1), 45-55.
- Sale PF, Agardy T, Ainsworth CH, Feist BE, Bell JD, Christie P, Hoegh-Guldberg O, Mumby PJ, Feary DA, Saunders MI, Daw TM, Foale SJ, Levin PS, Lindeman KC, Lorenzen K, Pomeroy RS, Allison EH, Bradbury RH, Corrin J, Edwards AJ, Obura DO, SadovydeMitcheson YJ, Samoilys MA, Sheppard CRC. Transforming management of tropical coastal seas to cope with challenges of the 21st Century. Marine Pollution Bulletin 2014, 85, 8-23.
- VanDover CL, Aronson J, Pendleton L, Smith S, Arnaud-Haond S, Moreno-Mateos D, Barbier E, Billett D, Bowers K, Danovaro R, Edwards A, Kellert S, Morato T, Pollard E, Rogers A, Warner R. Ecological restoration in the deep sea: Desiderata. Marine Policy 2014, 44, 98-106.
- Hardman ER, Edwards AJ, Raffin JSJ. The seine-net fishery of Rodrigues Island, western Indian Ocean: Is it sustainable or in terminal decline?. Fisheries Research 2013, 139, 35-42.
- Guest JR, Baird AH, Maynard JA, Muttaquin E, Edwards AJ, Campbell SJ, Yewdall K, Affendi YA, Chou LM. Contrasting Patterns of Coral Bleaching Susceptibility in 2010 Suggest an Adaptive Response to Thermal Stress. PLoS One 2012, 7(3), e33353.
- Mumby PJ, Steneck RS, Edwards AJ, Ferrari R, Coleman R, Harborne AR, Gibson JP. Fishing down a Caribbean food web relaxes trophic cascades. Marine Ecology - Progress Series 2012, 445, 13-24.
- Kitchen-Wheeler AM, Ari C, Edwards AJ. Population estimates of Alfred mantas (Manta alfredi) in central Maldives atolls: North Male, Ari and Baa. Environmental Biology of Fishes 2012, 93(4), 557-575.
- Luiz OJ, Edwards AJ. Extinction of a shark population in the Archipelago of Saint Paul's Rocks (equatorial Atlantic) inferred from the historical record. Biological Conservation 2011, 144(12), 2873-2881.
- Mumby PJ, Iglesias-Prieto R, Hooten AJ, Sale PF, Hoegh-Guldberg O, Edwards AJ, Harvell CD, Gomez ED, Knowlton N, Hatziolos ME, Kyewalyanga MS, Muthiga N. Revisiting climate thresholds and ecosystem collapse. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2011, 9(2), 94-96.
- Guest JR, Dizon RM, Edwards AJ, Franco C, Gomez ED. How quickly do fragments of coral ‘self-attach’ after transplantation?. Restoration Ecology 2011, 19(2), 234-242.
- Baria MVB, Guest JR, Edwards AJ, Aliño PM, Heyward AJ, Gomez ED. Caging enhances post-settlement survival of juveniles of the scleractinian coral Acropora tenuis. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 2010, 394(1-2), 149-153.
- Villanueva RD, Edwards AJ, Bell JD. Enhancement of grazing gastropod populations as a coral reef restoration tool: predation effects and related implications. Restoration Ecology 2010, 18(6), 803-809.
- Villanueva RD, Edwards AJ. Butterflyfishes feed on externally brooded larvae of the blue coral, Heliopora coerulea. Coral Reefs 2010, 29(1), 105-105.
- Edwards AJ, ed. Reef Rehabilitation Manual. St Lucia, Australia: The Coral Reef Targeted Research & Capacity Building for Management Program, 2010.
- Hoegh-Guldberg O, Mumby PJ, Hooten AJ, Steneck RS, Greenfield P, Gomez E, Harvell CD, Sale PF, Edwards AJ, Caldeira K, Knowlton N, Eakin CM, Iglesias-Prieto R, Muthiga N, Bradbury RH, Dubi A, Hatziolos ME. Coral reefs under rapid climate change and ocean acidification. Science 2007, 318(5857), 1737-1742.
- Mumby PJ, Edwards AJ, Arias-Gonzalez JE, Lindeman KC, Blackwell PG, Gall A, Gorczynska MI, Harborne AR, Pescod CL, Renken H, Wabnitz CCC, Llewenyn G. Mangroves enhance the biomass of coral reef fish communities in the Caribbean. Nature 2004, 427(6974), 533-536.
- Carpenter KE, Abrar M, Aeby G, Aronson RB, Banks S, Bruckner A, Chiriboga A, Cortés J, Delbeek JC, DeVantier L, Edgar GJ, Edwards AJ, Fenner D, Guzmán HM, Hoeksema BW, Hodgson G, Johan O, Licuanan WY, Livingstone SR, Lovell ER, Moore JA, Obura DO, Ochavillo D, Polidoro BA, Precht WF, Quibilan MC, Reboton C, Richards ZT, Rogers AD, Sanciangco J, Sheppard A, Sheppard C, Smith J, Stuart S, Turak E, Veron JEN, Wallace C, Weil E, Wood E. One-Third of Reef-Building Corals Face Elevated Extinction Risk from Climate Change and Local Impacts. Science 2008, 321(5888), 560-563.
- Floeter SR, Rocha LA, Robertson DR, Joyeux JC, Smith-Vaniz WF, Wirtz P, Edwards AJ, Barreiros JP, Ferreira CEL, Gasparini JL, Brito A, Falcón JM, Bowen BW, Bernardi G. Atlantic reef fish biogeography and evolution. Journal of Biogeography 2008, 35(1), 22-47.
- Graham NAJ, McClanahan TR, MacNeil MA, Wilson SK, Polunin NVC, Jennings S, Chabanet P, Clark S, Spalding MD, Letourneur Y, Bigot L, Galzin R, Öhman MC, Garpe KC, Edwards AJ, Sheppard CRC. Climate warming, marine protected areas and the ocean-scale integrity of coral reef ecosystems. PLoS One 2008, 3(8), e3039.
- Byfield V, Dobson M, Donlon C, Edwards A, Robinson I, Sychev V, Whittle C. Capacity development in coastal and marine remote sensing with UNESCO-Bilko. In: International Conference: 50 Years of Education and Awareness Raising for Shaping the Future of the Oceans and Coasts. 2010, St Petersburg, Russia: RSHU.
- Edwards AJ, Hooper TL (eds.). Workshop on a Regional Perspective on MPAs in the Western Indian Ocean [Conference Proceedings]. In: Workshop on a Regional Perspective on MPAs in the Western Indian Ocean. 2009, Rodrigues Island, Mauritius: Newcastle University and Marine Education Trust.
- Dizon RM, Edwards AJ, Gomez ED. Comparison of three types of adhesives in attaching coral transplants to clam shell substrates. Aquatic Conservation: marine and freshwater ecosystems 2008, 18(7), 1140-1148.
- Hoegh-Guldberg O, Mumby PJ, Hooten AJ, Steneck RS, Greenfield P, Gomez E, Harvell DR, Sale PF, Edwards AJ, Caldeira K, Knowlton N, Eakin CM, Iglesias-Prieto R, Muthiga N, Bradbury RH, Dubi A, Hatziolos ME. Coral Adaptation in the Face of Climate Change. Science 2008, 320(5874), 315-316.
- Vicentuan KC, Guest JR, Baria MV, Cabaitan PC, Dizon RM, Villanueva RD, Alino PM, Edwards AJ, Gomez ED, Heyward AJ. Multi-species spawning of corals in north-western Philippines. Coral Reefs 2008, 27(1), 83.
- Byfield V, Shillington F, Kirugara D, Bernard S, Dobson M, Edwards A, Donion C, Scott L, Ahanahanzo J. African capacity building in satellite altimetry with the Unesco-Bilko programme. In: European Space Agency, (Special Publication) ESA SP. 2007, Montreux: European Space Agency.
- Edwards AJ, Gomez ED. Reef Restoration Concepts & Guidelines: making sensible management choices in the face of uncertainty. St Lucia, Australia, 2007.
- Gill AC, Edwards AJ. Lubbockichthys myersi, a new species of dottyback fish from Guam (Pseudochromidae: Pseudoplesiopinae). Zootaxa 2006, (1320), 43-48.
- Edwards AJ. Applications of satellite and airborne image data to coastal management. Seventh Computer-Based Learning Module (Third Edition). (Revised and expanded for Bilko 3). Coastal Region and Small Island Papers 2005, 18, i-vi, 1-253.
- Byfield V, Donlon C, Dasilva JC, Shillington F, McNeall D, Quartly GD, Dobson M, Edwards AJ. Observing the ocean from envisat: A unesco-bilko teaching module demonstrating the synergistic use of data from envisat sensors to study oceanographic phenomena. In: European Space Agency, (Special Publication): MERIS (A) ATSR Workshop. 2005, Frascati, San Francisco, USA: European Space Agency.
- Gill AC, Edwards AJ. Revision of the Indian Ocean dottyback fish genera Chlidichthys and Pectinochromis (Perciformes: Pseudochromidae: Pseudoplesiopinae). Smithiana Bulletin 2004, 3, 1-47.
- Byfield V, Donlon C, Da Silva JC, Shillington F, Chang N, Quartly D, McNeall M, Dobson AJ, Edwards AJ. Observing the ocean from Envisat a new UNESCO-Bilko teaching module demonstrating the synergistic use of data from Envisat sensors to study oceanographic phenomena. In: European Space Agency, (Special Publication): 2004 Envisat and ERS Symposium. 2005, Salzburg, Austria: European Space Agency.
- Gill AC, Edwards AJ. Pseudoplesiops wassi, new species of pseudoplesiopine dottyback (Teleostei: Pseudochromidae: Pseudoplesiopinae) from the West Pacific. Zootaxa 2003, 291, 1-7.
- Edwards AJ, Gill AC, Abohweyere PO. A revision of F. R. Irvine's Ghanaian marine fishes in the collections of The Natural History Museum, London. Journal of Natural History 2003, 37(18), 2213-2267.
- Mumby PJ, Edwards AJ. Mapping marine environments with IKONOS imagery: enhanced spatial resolution can deliver greater thematic accuracy. Remote Sensing of Environment 2002, 82(2-3), 248-257.
- Gill AC, Edwards AJ. Two new species of the Indo-Pacific fish genus Pseudoplesiops (Perciformes, Pseudochromidae, Pseudoplesiopinae). Bulletin of the Natural History Museum: Zoology 2002, 26(1), 19-26.
- Edwards AJ, Clark S, Zahir H, Rajasuriya A, Naseer A, Rubens J. Coral bleaching and mortality on artificial and natural reefs in Maldives in 1998, sea surface temperature anomalies and initial recovery. Marine Pollution Bulletin 2001, 42(1), 7-15.
- Mumby PJ, Chisholm JRM, Edwards AJ, Clark CD, Roark EB, Andrefouet S, Jaubert J. Unprecedented bleaching-induced mortality in Porites spp. at Rangiroa Atoll, French Polynesia. Marine Biology 2001, 139(1), 183-189.
- Mumby PJ, Chisholm JRM, Edwards AJ, Andrefouet S, Jaubert J. Cloudy weather may have saved Society Island reef corals during the 1998 ENSO event. Marine Ecology - Progress Series 2001, 222(0), 209-216.
- Green EP, Mumby PJ, Edwards AJ, Clark CD, Edwards AJ. Remote Sensing Handbook for Tropical Coastal Management. Paris: UNESCO, 2000.
- Edwards AJ, Clark S. Coral transplantation: A useful management tool or misguided meddling?. Marine Pollution Bulletin 1999, 37(8-12), 474-487.
- Gill AC, Edwards AJ. Monophyly, interrelationships and description of three new genera in the dottyback fish subfamily Pseudoplesiopinae (Teleostei: Perciformes: Pseudochromidae). Records of the Australian Museum 1999, 51(2), 141-160.
- Mumby PJ, Green EP, Edwards AJ, Clark CD. The cost-effectiveness of remote sensing for tropical coastal resources assessment and management. Journal of Environmental Management 1999, 55(3), 157-166.
- Clark S, Edwards AJ. An evaluation of artificial reef structures as tools for marine habitat rehabilitation in the Maldives. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 1999, 9(1), 5-21.
- Edwards A. Rehabilitation of coastal ecosystems. Marine Pollution Bulletin 1999, 37(8-12), 371-372.
- Last KS, Olive PJW, Edwards AJ. An actographic study of diel activity in the semelparous polychaete Nereis (Neanthes) virens Sars in relation to the annual cycle of growth and reproduction. Invertebrate Reproduction and Development 1999, 35(2), 141-145.
- P. J. Mumby,C. D. Clark,E. P. Green,A. J. Edwards. Benefits of water column correction and contextual editing for mapping coral reefs. International Journal of Remote Sensing 1998, 19(1), 203-210.
- P. J. Mumby,E. P. Green,C. D. Clark,A. J. Edwards. Digital analysis of multispectral airborne imagery of coral reefs. Coral Reefs 1998, 17(1), 59-69.
- E. P. Green,C. D. Clark,P. J. Mumby,A. J. Edwards,A. C. Ellis. Remote sensing techniques for mangrove mapping. International Journal of Remote Sensing 1998, 19(5), 935-956.
- E. P. Green,P. J. Mumby,A. J. Edwards,C. D. Clark,A. C. Ellis. The assessment of mangrove areas using high resolution multispectral airborne imagery. Journal of Coastal Research 1998, 14(2), 433-443.
- P. J. Mumby,A. J. Edwards,E. P. Green,C. W. Anderson,A. C. Ellis,C. D. Clark. A visual assessment technique for estimating seagrass standing crop. Aquatic Conservation-Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 1997, 7(3), 239-251.
- P. J. Mumby,E. P. Green,A. J. Edwards,C. D. Clark. Coral reef habitat-mapping: how much detail can remote sensing provide?. Marine Biology 1997, 130(2), 193-202.
- E. P. Green,P. J. Mumby,A. J. Edwards,C. D. Clark,A. C. Ellis. Estimating leaf area index of mangroves from satellite data. Aquatic Botany 1997, 58(1), 11-19.
- P. J. Mumby,E. P. Green,A. J. Edwards,C. D. Clark. Measurement of seagrass standing crop using satellite and digital airborne remote sensing. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 1997, 159, 51-60.
- E. P. Green,P. J. Mumby,A. J. Edwards,C. D. Clark. A review of remote sensing for the assessment and management of tropical coastal resources. Coastal Management 1996, 24(1), 1-40.
- S. Clark,A. J. Edwards. Coral transplantation as an aid to reef rehabilitation: Evaluation of a case study in the Maldive Islands. Coral Reefs 1995, 14(4), 201-213.
- S. Clark,A. J. Edwards. Use of Artificial Reef Structures to Rehabilitate Reef Flats Degraded by Coral Mining in the Maldives. Bulletin of Marine Science 1994, 55(2-3), 724-744.
- A. J. Edwards. New Records of Fishes from the Bonaparte Seamount and Saint-Helena Island, South-Atlantic. Journal of Natural History 1993, 27(2), 493-503.
- A. J. Edwards,A. D. Shepherd. Environmental Implications of Aquarium-Fish Collection in the Maldives, with Proposals for Regulation. Environmental Conservation 1992, 19(1), 61-72.
- Edwards AJ. Implications of sea-level rise for the Republic of Maldives. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Centre for Tropical Coastal Management Studies, 1989. Report to Commonwealth Expert Group on Sea-Level Rise and Government of Maldives.
- A. J. Edwards,C. W. Glass. The Fishes of Saint Helena Island, South-Atlantic Ocean .2. The Pelagic Fishes. Journal of Natural History 1987, 21(6), 1367-1394.
- A. J. Edwards,C. W. Glass. The Fishes of Saint-Helena-Island, South-Atlantic Ocean .1. The Shore Fishes. Journal of Natural History 1987, 21(3), 617-686.
- J. Adams,A. J. Edwards,H. Emberton. Sexual Size Dimorphism and Assortative Mating in the Obligate Coral Commensal Trapezia-Ferruginea Latreille (Decapoda, Xanthidae). Crustaceana 1985, 48(MAR), 188-194.