Dr Felicity May
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4417
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 4301
- Address: Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Paul O'Gorman Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Course tutor on the M.Res. module Proteomics, Genomics and Immunochemistry
Co-organiser of departmental fourth year medical student selected components
- Chutipongtanate S, Nakagawa Y, Sritippayawan S, Pittayamateekul J, Parichatikanond P, Westley B, May F, Malasit P, Thongboonkerd V. Identification of human urinary trefoil factor 1 as a novel calcium oxalate crystal growth inhibitor. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2005, 115(12), 3613-3622.
- Westley BR, Griffin S, May FEB. Interaction between TFF1, a gastric tumor suppressor trefoil protein, and TFIZ1, a brichos domain-containing protein with homology to SP-C. Biochemistry 2005, 44(22), 7967-7975.
- Johns CE, Newton JL, Westley BR, May FEB. The diurnal rhythm of the cytoprotective human trefoil protein TFF2 is reduced by factors associated with gastric mucosal damage: Ageing, Helicobacter pylori Infection, and sleep deprivation. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2005, 100(7), 1491-1497.
- Clyne M, Dillon P, Daly S, O'Kennedy R, May F, Westley B, Drumm B. Helicobacter pylori interacts with the human single-domain trefoil protein TFF1. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2004, 101(19), 7409-7414.
- Ruchaud-Sparagano M, Westley BR, May FEB. The trefoil protein TFF1 is bound to MUC5AC in human gastric mucosa. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 2004, 61(15), 1946-1954.
- Muskett F, May FEB, Westley BR, Feeney J. Solution Structure of the Disulfide-Linked Dimer of Human Intestinal Trefoil Factor (TFF3): The Intermolecular Orientation and Interactions Are Markedly Different from Those of Other Dimeric Trefoil Proteins. Biochemistry 2003, 42(51), 15139-15147.
- May FEB, Church S, Major S, Westley BR. The closely related estrogen-regulated trefoil proteins TFF1 and TFF3 have markedly different hydrodynamic properties, overall charge, and distribution of surface charge. Biochemistry 2003, 42(27), 8250-8259.
- Dent BM, Ogle LF, O'Donnell RL, Hayes N, Mallick U, Curtin NJ, Boddy AV, Plummer ER, Edmondson RJ, Reeves HL, May FEB, Jamieson D. High-resolution imaging for the detection and characterisation of circulating tumour cells from patients with oesophageal, hepatocellular, thyroid and ovarian cancers. International Journal of Cancer 2016, 138(1), 206-216.
- Luey BC, May FEB. Insulin-like growth factors are essential to prevent anoikis in oestrogen-responsive breast cancer cells: importance of the type I IGF receptor and PI3-kinease/Akt pathway. Molecular Cancer 2016, 15(8).
- Wade MA, Sunter NJ, Fordham SE, Long A, Masic D, Russell J, Harrison CJ, Rand V, Elstob C, Bown N, Rowe D, Lowe C, Cuthbert G, Bennett S, Crosier S, Bacon CM, Onel K, Scott K, Scott D, Travis LB, May FEB, Allan JM. c-MYC is a radiosensitive locus in human breast cells. Oncogene 2015, 34, 4985-4994.
- Middleton FK, Patterson MJ, Elstob CJ, Fordham S, Herriott A, Wade MA, McCormick A, Edmondson R, May FEB, Allan JM, Pollard JR, Curtin NJ. Common cancer-associated imbalances in the DNA damage response confer sensitivity to single agent ATR inhibition. Oncotarget 2015, 6(32), 32396-32409.
- May FEB, Westley BR. TFF3 is a valuable predictive biomarker of endocrine response in metastatic breast cancer. Endocrine-Related Cancer 2015, 22, 465-479.
- Dent B, O'Donnell RL, Ogle LF, Rourke ED, Ramesh HP, Moat M, Hayes N, Mallick UK, May FE, Reeves HL, Curtain NJ, Edmondson RJ, Boddy AV, Plummer R, Jamieson D. Detection and characterization of circulating tumor cells by imaging flow cytometry. In: AACR Annual Meeting 2014. 2014, San Diego, CA: American Association for Cancer Research.
- May FEB. Novel drugs that target the estrogen-related receptor alpha: their therapeutic potential in breast cancer. Cancer Management and Research 2014, 6, 225-252.
- Westley RL, May FEB. A Twenty-First Century Cancer Epidemic Caused by Obesity: The Involvement of Insulin, Diabetes, and Insulin-Like Growth Factors. International Journal of Endocrinology 2013, 2013, 632461.
- Axon A, May FEB, Gaughan LE, Williams FM, Blain PG, Wright MC. Tartrazine and sunset yellow are xenoestrogens in a new screening assay to identify modulators of human oestrogen receptor transcriptional activity. Toxicology 2012, 298(1-3), 40-51.
- Ahmed ARH, Griffiths AB, Tilby MT, Westley BR, May FEB. TFF3 Is a Normal Breast Epithelial Protein and Is Associated with Differentiated Phenotype in Early Breast Cancer but Predisposes to Invasion and Metastasis in Advanced Disease. American Journal of Pathology 2012, 180(3), 904-916.
- Dolan B, Naughton J, Tegtmeyer N, May FEB, Clyne M. The Interaction of Helicobacter pylori with the Adherent Mucus Gel Layer Secreted by Polarized HT29-MTX-E12 Cells. PLoS One 2012, 7(10), e47300.
- May FEB. The potential of trefoil proteins as biomarkers in human cancer. Biomarkers in Medicine 2012, 6(3), 301-304.
- Davison Z, de Blacquière GE, Westley BR, May FEB. Insulin-like Growth Factor-Dependent Proliferation and Survival of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Cells: Implications for Therapy. Neoplasia 2011, 13(6), 504-515.
- Arumugam T, Brandt W, Ramachandran V, Moore TT, Wang HM, May FE, Westley BR, Hwang RF, Logsdon CD. Trefoil Factor 1 Stimulates Both Pancreatic Cancer and Stellate Cells and Increases Metastasis. Pancreas 2011, 40(6), 815-822.
- Jamieson D, Cresti N, Bray J, Sludden J, Griffin MJ, Hawsawi NM, Famie E, Mould EVA, Verrill MW, May FEB, Boddy AV. Two minor NQO1 and NQO2 alleles predict poor response of breast cancer patients to adjuvant doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide therapy. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics 2011, 21(12), 808-819.
- Lafontaine PO, Arnal M, Buron N, Solary E, Bron AM, Westley BR, May FEB, Bara J, Gespach C, Creuzot-Garcher C. Trefoil factor family mRNA and protein expression in pterygium. International Journal of Oncology 2005, 27(4), 997-1003.
- Pu M, May FEB, Playford R, Ruchaud-Sparagano M, Westley BR. Development of a two-site ELISA assay for the dimeric form of human TFF1. Peptides 2004, 25(5), 731-736.
- May FEB, Semple J, Prest S, Westley BR. Expression and motogenic activity of TFF2 in human breast cancer cells. Peptides 2004, 25(5), 865-872.
- FitzGerald A, Pu M, Marchbank T, Westley BR, May FEB, Boyle J, Yadollahi-Farsani M, Ghosh S, Playford R. Synergistic effects of systemic trefoil factor family 1 (TFF1) peptide and epidermal growth factor in a rat model of colitis. Peptides 2004, 25(5), 793-801.
- Newton J, Johns CE, May FEB. The ageing bowel and intolerance to aspirin. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2004, 19(1), 39-45.
- Carrasco R, Pera M, May F, Westley B, Martinez A, Morales L. Trefoil factor family peptide 3 prevents the development and promotes healing of ischemia-reperfusion injury in weanling rats. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2004, 39(11), 1693-1700.
- Soriano-Izquierdo A, Gironella M, Massaguer A, May FEB, Salas A, Sans M, Poulsom R, Thim L, Piqué J, Panés J. Trefoil peptide TFF2 treatment reduces VCAM-1 expression and leukocyte recruitment in experimental intestinal inflammation. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 2004, 75(2), 214-223.
- Rodrigues S, Attoub S, Nguyen Q, Bruyneel E, Rodrigue C, Westley B, May F, Thim L, Mareel M, Emami S, Gespach C. Selective abrogation of the proinvasive activity of the trefoil peptides pS2 and spasmolytic polypeptide by disruption of the EGF receptor signaling pathways in kidney and colonic cancer cells. Oncogene 2003, 22(29), 4488-4497.
- Rodrigues S, Van Aken E, Van Bocxlaer S, Attoub S, Nguyen Q, Bruyneel E, Westley BR, May FEB, Thim L, Mareel M, Gespach C, Emami S. Trefoil peptides as proangiogenic factors in vivo and in vitro: Implication of cyclooxygenase-2 and EGF receptor signaling. The FASEB Journal 2003, 17(1), 7-16.
- Prest SJ, May FEB, Westley BR. The estrogen-regulated protein, TFF1, stimulates migration of human breast cancer cells. The FASEB Journal 2002, 16(2), 592-+.
- Rodrigues S, Nguyen QD, Faivre S, Bruyneel E, Thim L, Westley B, May F, Flatau G, Mareel M, Gespach C, Emami S. Activation of cellular invasion by trefoil peptides and src is mediated by cyclooxygenase- and thromboxane A2 receptor-dependent signaling pathways. The FASEB Journal 2001, 15(9), 1517-1528.
- Semple J, Newton JL, Westley BR, May FEB. Dramatic diurnal variation in the concentration of the human trefoil peptide TFF2 in gastric juice. Gut 2001, 48(5), 648-655.
- Crosier M, Scott D, Wilson RG, Griffiths CDM, May FEB, Westley BR. High expression of the trefoil protein TFF1 in interval breast cancers. American Journal of Pathology 2001, 159(1), 215-221.
- Emami S, Le Floch N, Bruyneel E, Thim L, May FEB, Westley BR, Rio MC, Mareel M, Gespach C. Induction of scattering and cellular invasion by trefoil peptides in src- and RhoA-transformed kidney and colonic epithelial cells. The FASEB Journal 2001, 15(2), 351-361.
- Williams M, Westley B, May F, Feeney J. The solution structure of the disulphide-linked homodimer of the human trefoil protein TFF1. FEBS Letters 2001, 493(2-3), 70-74.
- Molloy CA, May FEB, Westley BR. Insulin receptor substrate-1 expression is regulated by estrogen in the MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2000, 275(17), 12565-12571.
- Newton JL, Allen A, Westley BR, May FEB. The human trefoil peptide, TFF1, is present in different molecular forms that are intimately associated with mucus in normal stomach. Gut 2000, 46(3), 312-320.
- May FEB, Westley BR. Expression of human intestinal trefoil factor in malignant cells and its regulation by oestrogen in breast cancer cells. Journal of Pathology 1997, 182(4), 404-413.
- Chadwick MP, Westley BR, May FEB. Homodimerization and hetero-oligomerization of the single-domain trefoil protein pNR-2/pS2 through cysteine 58. Biochemical Journal 1997, 327, 117-123.
- Daws MR, Westley BR, May FEB. Paradoxical effects of overexpression of the type I insulin-like growth factor (IGF) receptor on the responsiveness of human breast cancer cells to IGFs and estradiol. Endocrinology 1996, 137(4), 1177-1186.