Professor Michael Taggart
Chair of Reproductive Sciences
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0191) 208 6988
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5066
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
3rd Floor, Leech Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Qualifications & Awards
BSc Honours in Physiology (IIi), University of Glasgow.
PhD in Biochemistry, University of London.
FRSB (Fellow of Royal Society of Biology - elected 2011)
2006-2007: Reader in Reproductive & Cardiovascular Physiology,
University of Manchester.
2001-2006: Senior Lecturer, Cardiovascular Research and Maternal
& Fetal Health Research Centre, University of Manchester.
2001-2001: Lecturer, Cardiovascular Research and Maternal & Fetal
Health Research Centre, University of Manchester.
1999-2001: Lecturer, Department of Medicine, University of
1998-1999: Wellcome Trust Research Fellow, Department of Medicine,
University of Manchester.
1995-1998: Wellcome Trust Research Fellow, The Physiological
Laboratory, University of Liverpool.
1991-1995: Post-doctoral research associate, The Physiological
Laboratory, University of Liverpool.
1986-1990: Pre-doctoral research assistant, Department of Cardiac
Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial
College of Medicine, London.
1998-2006: Visiting Research Scientist, Boston Biomedical Research
Institute, Boston, MA, USA.
Member of the following Research Groups/Societies:
EU Parturition Group (www.euparturition.eu)
The Physiological Society (www.physoc.org)
Reproductive Bioengineering Forum
The British Association for the Advancement of Science (www.the-
My research focuses on the role that Ca2+-dependent signal transduction pathways have in regulating smooth muscle function. Smooth muscle is the contractile tissue surrounding all hollow organs in the body and its regulation plays a vital role in determining many physiological outcomes. Smooth muscle dysfunction thus contributes to many present-day clinical disorders that have a major health impact on society including hypertension,arteriosclerosis and preterm labour.
A particular focus is given to the cellular mechanisms underlying the remodelling of human uterine and vascular smooth muscle during pregnancy. The role of intracellular Ca2+ in influencing transduction pathways that centre on excitation-contraction coupling, metabolic-contraction coupling or transcriptional-contraction coupling in human uterine smooth muscle is a feature of current research efforts. A multidisciplinary approach encompassing cell physiology, structural, genomic and proteomic techniques is employed. This we will seek to compliment in the medium-term with integrated physiology (systems biology) strategies including mathematical modelling of uterine smooth muscle and blood vessel function.
Prof Henggui Zhang, School of Physics, University of Manchester.
Dr Peter Mitchell, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.
Dr Clare Austin, Cardiovascular Research group, University of Manchester.
Dr Rachel Tribe, Kings College London.
Dr Andrew Blanks, University of Warwick.
10 PhD/MD students successfully supervised for postgraduate research degrees since 2001. Presently supervise 2 PhD students & 1MD student.
I am happy to discuss research projects for qualified individuals with self-arranged funding in the topics of:
1. Molecular signatures of de novo blood vessel formation
2. Phenotyping physiological cardiac remodelling
The work will involve human cell isolation, bioinformatics, quantitative PCR, Western blotting, siRNA and fluorescence microscopy of live and fixed cells.
- Invited speaker to >30 national & international conferences and research institutions.
- Author of 12 invited reviews/commentaries.
- Over 1,000 citations of peer-reviewed publications.
- Grant reviewer for research applications to MRC, Wellcome Trust, BBSRC, EPSRC, Action Medical Research, BHF, Wellbeing, The Health Research Board of Eire, Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR, France).
- Scientific Reviewer for papers submitted to Cardiovascular Research, American Journal of Physiology, Hypertension, Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, , BMC Physiology, British Journal of Pharmacology, Clinical Science, European Journal of Physiology, Experimental Physiology, Human Reproduction, Journal of Endocrinology, Journal of Cellular and Molecular Cardiology, Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Journal of Physiology, Molecular Human Reproduction, Placenta, Clinical Proteomics, Reproductive Sciences, Reproduction.
- External Examiner for theses of postgraduate students from Imperial College London (twice), Queen’s University Belfast (twice), University of Glasgow, University of Warwick, University of Aberdeen, University of Liverpool, King’s College London, Newcastle University Australia (twice), University of Galway Eire, Caledonian University, University College Dublin, Eire, University of Bristol (twice), University of Edinburgh, University of Nottingham.
- Editorial Reviewer for Clinical Science 2001-2004. Editorial Board member of BMC Physiology. Editorial Board member of BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. Editorial Board Member Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine (2003-2006). Associate Editor Reproductive Sciences. Associate Editor of Physiological Reports. Scientific representative of the British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society Committee.
Research has been funded since 2010 by:
Medical Research Council
British Heart Foundation
The Wellcome Trust
Action Medical Research
Cardiovascular, smooth muscle, blood vessels, uterus, pregnancy, preterm labour.
I teach on several postgraduate/undergraduate degree courses. The lectures include information from research activities associated with the taught topics, often displaying examples of experimental data, in order to encourage student curiosity, critical thought and learning from a research/evidence base.
I am programme lead for (and teach on) the Cardiovascular Science in Health and Disease MRes degree.
Module information: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/modules/MMB8037/
In addition, each year our laboratory supports students to undertake the 6 month research project component of this (or other) MRes degree. Students are welcome to inquire about forthcoming research topics. Examples of research projects offered in recent years include:
• Proteomic signatures of human blood vessel maturation
• Investigating Structural Features of Cardiac Remodelling
• Novel Regulation of HumanUteroplacental Function by Ca2+/Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II
I teach on the BSc Honours Physiological Sciences degree course (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/b100/#courseoverview)
Reproductive and Developmental Physiology (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/modules/psc2015/)
Advanced Systems Physiology: Cardiovascular, Respiratory & Renal (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/modules/psc2017/)
I also teach on the BSc Honours Pharmacology degree course (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/b210/#courseoverview)
Cardiovascular System for Pharmacologists (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/modules/psc2026/)
In addition, each year our laboratory hosts BSc Honours students undertaking their final year 9/10-week Project module. Examples of research projects offered in recent years include:
• Developmental Changes in the Expression of Striated Muscle Sarcomeric Proteins
• The Effect of Pregnancy on the Expression of Cardiac EC Coupling Proteins
• Use of Small Molecule Inhibitors to Reduce Cytokine Proinflammatory Signalling in Human Uteroplacental Cells
- Gurney LRI, Robson SC, Jones AT, Taggart M. Use of Cell Penetrating Peptides to Treat Inflammatory Responses in Human Uterine Cells. In: Society for Reporductive Investigation 63rd Annual Scientific meeting. 2016, Montreal, Canada: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Lartey J, Taggart J, Robson S, Taggart M. Variation in calmodulin dependent kinase ii (CaMK2) delta and gamma subunit expression in human myometrium during pregnancy and labour. In: RCOG World Congress. 2016, Birmingham, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Gomez-Lopez N, Tong WC, Arenas-Hernandez M, Tanaka S, Hajar O, Olson DM, Taggart MJ, Mitchell BF. Chemotactic Activity of Gestational Tissues Through Late Pregnancy, Term Labor, and RU486-Induced Preterm Labor in Guinea Pigs. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology 2015, 73(4), 341-352.
- Chin-Smith EC, Willey FR, Slater DM, Taggart MJ, Tribe RM. Nuclear factor of activated T-cell isoform expression and regulation in human myometrium. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2015, 13, 83.
- Taggart MJ. PRIVATE PRACTICE IS UNETHICAL Doctors should expect to repay state investment with NHS service. BMJ-BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL 2015, 350.
- Europe-Finner GN, Karolczak-Bayatti M, Taggart MJ. The multifaceted KDAC8: a smooth muscle contractile regulator. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences 2015, 36(8), 493-493.
- Nicholson C, Sweeney M, Robson S, Taggart M. Tissue-Specific Isolated Murine Arterial Responses to Aging. In: FASEB JOURNAL. 2015, 9650 ROCKVILLE PIKE, BETHESDA, MD 20814-3998 USA: FEDERATION AMER SOC EXP BIOL.
- Taggart MJ, Hume R, Lartey J, Johnson M, Tong W-C, Macleod KT. Cardiac remodelling during pregnancy: whither the guinea pig?. Cardiovascular Research 2014, 104(1), 226-227.
- Tong WC, Ghouri I, Taggart MJ. Computational modeling of inhibition of voltage-gated Ca channels: identification of different effects on uterine and cardiac action potentials. Frontiers in Physiology 2014, 5, 399.
- Tong WC, Tribe RM, Smith R, Taggart MJ. Computational Modeling Reveals Key Contributions of KCNQ and hERG Currents to the Malleability of Uterine Action Potentials Underpinning Labor. PLoS One 2014, 9(12), e114034.
- Narytnyk A, Verdon B, Loughney A, Sweeney M, Clewes O, Taggart MJ, Sieber-Blum M. Differentiation of Human Epidermal Neural Crest Stem Cells (hEPI-NCSC) into Virtually Homogenous Populations of Dopaminergic Neurons. Stem Cells Reviews and Reports 2014, 10(2), 316-326.
- Corcoran JJ, Nicholson C, Sweeney M, Charnock JJ, Robson SC, Westwood M, Taggart MJ. Human uterine and placental arteries exhibit tissue-specific acute responses to 17β-oestradiol and oestrogen-receptor specific agonists. Molecular Human Reproduction 2014, 20(5), 433-441.
- Taggart MJ, Karolczak-Bayatti M, Europe-Finner GN. Letter to the editor: "KDAC and the regulation of nonnuclear smooth muscle protein acetylation". American Journal of Physiology: Cell Physiology 2014, 307(5), C493-C493.
- Di Marco LY, Di Maria C, Tong WC, Taggart MJ, Robson SC, Langley P. Recurring patterns in stationary intervals of abdominal uterine electromyograms during gestation. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing 2014, 52(8), 707-716.
- McCloskey C, Rada C, Bailey E, McCavera S, van den Berg HA, Atia J, Rand DA, Shmygol A, Chan YW, Quenby S, Brosens JJ, Vatish M, Zhang J, Denton JS, Taggart MJ, Kettleborough C, Tickle D, Jerman J, Wright P, Dale T, Kanumilli S, Trezise DJ, Thornton S, Brown P, Catalano R, Lin N, England SK, Blanks AM. The inwardly rectifying K+ channel KIR7.1 controls uterine excitability throughout pregnancy. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2014, 6(9), 1161-1174.
- Europe-Finner GN, Taggart MJ, Karolczak-Bayatti M. A role for cytoskeletal protein acetylation in modulating myometrial activity. Reproductive Sciences 2013, 20(2), 175-181.
- Taggart MJ, Word RA. Current Perspectives in Uterine Research: Reviews From the Society for Gynecologic Investigation Myometrium and Parturition Satellite Symposia. Reproductive Sciences 2013, 20(2), 138-139.
- Dordea AC, Sweeney M, Taggart J, Lartey J, Wessel H, Robson SC, Taggart MJ. Differential vasodilation of human placental and myometrial arteries related to myofilament Ca2+-desensitization and the expression of Hsp20 but not MYPT1. Molecular Human Reproduction 2013, 19(11), 727-736.
- Chen A, Karolczak-Bayatti M, Sweeney M, Treumann A, Morrissey K, Ulrich SM, Europe-Finner GN, Taggart MJ. Lysine deacetylase inhibition promotes relaxation of arterial tone and C-terminal acetylation of HSPB6 (Hsp20) in vascular smooth muscle cells. Physiological Reports 2013, 1(6), e00127.
- Hausman N, Martin J, Taggart MJ, Austin C. Age-related changes in the contractile and passive arterial properties of murine mesenteric small arteries are altered by caveolin-1 knockout. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine 2012, 16(8), 1720-1730.
- Corcoran JJ, Charnock JC, Martin J, Taggart MJ, Westwood M. Differential Effect of Insulin Like Growth Factor-I on Constriction of Human Uterine and Placental Arteries. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2012, 97(11), E2098-E2104.
- Herriott A, Sweeney M, Whitaker M, Taggart M, Huang JY. Kinetochore localized Mad2 and Cdc20 is itself insufficient for triggering the mitotic checkpoint when Mps1 is low in Drosophila melanogaster neuroblasts. Cell Cycle 2012, 11(24), 4650-4660.
- Taggart MJ, Arthur P, Zielnik B, Mitchell BF. Molecular Pathways regulating contractility in rat uterus through late gestation and parturition. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2012, 207(1), 76.e15-76.e24.
- Taggart M. The knack of resisting increases in intravascular pressure: the potental role for epithelial Na+ channel subunits in arterial myogenc reactivity. Experimental Physiology 2012, 97(4), 474-475.
- Yusuf D, Butland SL, Swanson MI, Bolotin E, Ticoll A, Cheung WA, Zhang XY, Dickman CT, Fulton DL, Lim JS, Schnabl JM, Ramos OH, Vasseur-Cognet M, de Leeuw CN, Simpson EM, Ryffel GU, Lam EW, Kist R, Wilson MS, Marco-Ferreres R, Brosens JJ, Beccari LL, Bovolenta P, Benayoun BA, Monteiro LJ, Schwenen HD, Grontved L, Wederell E, Mandrup S, Veitia RA, Chakravarthy H, Hoodless PA, Mancarelli M, Torbett BE, Banham AH, Reddy SP, Cullum RL, Liedtke M, Tschan MP, Vaz M, Rizzino A, Zannini M, Frietze S, Farnham PJ, Eijkelenboom A, Brown PJ, Laperriere D, Leprince D, de Cristofaro T, Prince KL, Putker M, Del Peso L, Camenisch G, Wenger RH, Mikula M, Rozendaal M, Mader S, Ostrowski J, Rhodes SJ, VanRechem C, Boulay G, Olechnowicz SW, Breslin MB, Lan MS, Nanan KK, Wegner M, Hou J, Mullen RD, Colvin SC, Noy PJ, Webb CF, Witek ME, Ferrell S, Daniel JM, Park J, Waldman SA, Peet DJ, Taggart M, Jayaraman PS, Karrich JJ, Blom B, Vesuna F, O'Geen H, Sun Y, Gronostajski RM, Woodcroft MW, Hough MR, Chen E, Europe-Finner N, Karolczak-Bayatti M, Bailey J, Hankinson O, Raman V, Lebrun DP, Biswal S, Harvey CJ, Debruyne JP, Hogenesch JB, Hevner RF, Heligon C, Luo XM, Blank MC, Millen KJ, Sharlin DS, Forrest D, Dahlman-Wright K, Zhao C, Mishima Y, Sinha S, Chakrabarti R, Portales-Casamar E, Sladek FM, Bradley PH, Wasserman WW. The Transcription Factor Encyclopedia. Genome Biology 2012, 13(3), R24.
- Tong W-C, Choi CY, Kharche S, Holden AV, Zhang H, Taggart MJ. A computational model of the ionic currents, Ca2+ dynamics and action potentials underlying contraction of isolated uterine smooth muscle. PLoS One 2011, 6(4), e18685.
- Karolczak-Bayatti M, Sweeney M, Cheng JAN, Edey L, Robson SC, Ulrich SM, Treumann A, Taggart MJ, Europe-Finner GN. Acetylation of Heat Shock Protein 20 (Hsp20) Regulates Human Myometrial Activity. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2011, 286(39), 34346-34355.
- Aslanidi O, Atia J, Benson AP, van den Berg HA, Blanks AM, Choi C, Gilbert SH, Goryanin I, Hayes-Gill BR, Holden AV, Li P, Norman JE, Shmygol A, Simpson NAB, Taggart MJ, Tong WC, Zhang H. Towards a computational reconstruction of the electrodynamics of premature and full term human labour. Progress in Biophysics & Molecular Biology 2011, 107(1), 183-192.
- Taggart M. Vascular function in health and disease: Review Series. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine 2010, 14(5), 1017.
- Mitchell BF, Taggart MJ. Are animal models relevant to key aspects of human parturition?. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 2009, 297(3), 525-545.
- Jones NW, Raine-Fenning NJ, Jayaprakasan K, Mousa HA, Taggart MJ, Bugg GJ. Changes in myometrial 'perfusion' during normal labor as visualized by three-dimensional power Doppler angiography. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 2009, 33(3), 307-312.
- Withers SB, Taggart MJ, Baker P, Austin C. Responses of Isolated Pressurised Rat Uterine Arteries to Changes in Pressure: Effects of Pre-constriction, Endothelium and Pregnancy. Placenta 2009, 30(6), 529-535.
- Li Y, Reznichenko M, Tribe RM, Hess PE, Taggart M, Kim H, DeGnore JP, Gangopadhyay S, Morgan KG. Stretch Activates Human Myometrium via ERK, Caldesmon and Focal Adhesion Signaling. PLoS ONE 2009, 4(10), e7489.
- Tong WC, Sweeney M, Jones CJP, Zhang H, O'Neill SC, Prior I, Taggart MJ. Three-dimensional electron microscopic reconstruction of intracellular organellar arrangements in vascular smooth muscle – further evidence of nanospaces and contacts. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine 2009, 13(5), 995-998.
- Matthews LC, Taggart MJ, Westwood M. Caveolin-1 affects Akt isoform expression and cellular proliferation in response to IGF-I. Endocrinology 2008, 149(10), 5199-5208.
- Sweeney M, Wareing M, Mills TA, Baker PN, Taggart MJ. Characterisation of tone oscillations in placental and myometrial arteries from normal pregnancies and those complicated by pre-eclampsia and growth restriction. Placenta 2008, 29(4), 356-365.
- Wu X, Morgan KG, Jones CJ, Tribe RM, Taggart MJ. Myometrial mechanoadaptation during pregnancy: implications for smooth muscle plasticity and remodelling. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine 2008, 12(4), 1360-1373.
- Taggart MJ, Europe-Finner GN, Mitchell BF. Possible dual roles for prostacyclin in human pregnancy and labor. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2008, 118(12), 3829-3832.
- Arthur P, Taggart MJ, Zielnik B, Wong S, Mitchell BF. Relationship between gene expression and function of uterotonic systems in the rat during gestation, uterine activation and both term and preterm labour. Journal of Physiology 2008, 586(24), 6063-6076.
- Taggart MJ, Tribe RM. Cellular ionic mechanisms controlling uterine smooth muscle contraction: effects of gestational state. In: Savinneau, JP, ed. New Frontiers in Smooth Muscle Biology and Physiology. India: Research Signpost, 2007, pp.523-549.
- Hudson NK, O'Hara M, Lacey HA, Corcoran J, Hemmings DG, Wareing M, Baker PN, Taggart MJ. Modulation of human arterial tone during pregnancy: The effect of the bioactive metabolite Sphingosine-1-Phosphate. Biology of Reproduction 2007, 77(1), 45-52.
- Arthur P, Taggart MJ, Mitchel BF. Oxytocin and parturition. Frontiers in Bioscience 2007, 12(1), 619-633.
- Taggart MJ, Morgan KG. Regulation of the uterine contractile apparatus and cytoskeleton. Seminars in Cell Development 2007, 18(3), 296-234.
- Taggart MJ, Blanks A, Kharche S, Holden A, Wang B, Zhang H. Towards understanding the myometrial physiome: approaches for the construction of a virtual physiological uterus. BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth 2007, 7(S1), S11.
- Shaw LM, Sweeney MA, Jones CJP, O'Neill SC, Austin CE, Taggart MJ. Caveolae and sarcoplasmic reticular coupling in smooth muscle cells of pressurised arteries: The relevance for Ca2+ oscillations and tone. Cardiovascular Research 2006, 69(4), 825-835.
- Calaghan SC, Taggart MJ. Compartmentalised signaling in cardiomyocyte lipid domains - do structure and function match up?. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology 2006, 41(1), 1-3.
- Bugg GB, Riley MJ, Johnston TA, Baker PN, Taggart MJ. Hypoxic inhibition of human myometrial contractions in vitro: implications for the regulation of parturition. European Journal of Clinical Science 2006, 36(2), 133-140.
- Bugg GB, Stanley E, Baker PN, Taggart MJ, Johnstone T. Outcomes of labours augmented with oxytocin. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 2006, 124(1), 37-41.
- Hemmings DG, Hudson NK, Halliday D, O'Hara M, Baker PN, Davidge ST, Taggart MJ. Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Acts via Rho-Associated Kinase and Nitric Oxide to Regulate Human Placental Vascular Tone. Biology of Reproduction 2006, 74(1), 88-94.
- Sweeney M, Jones CJP, Greenwood SL, Baker PN, Taggart MJ. Ultrastructural features of smooth muscle and endothelial cells of isolated isobaric human placental and maternal arteries. Placenta 2006, 27(6-7), 635-647.
- Matthews LC, Taggart MJ, Westwood M. Effect of Cholesterol Depletion on Mitogenesis and Survival: The Role of Caveolar and Noncaveolar Domains in Insulin-Like Growth Factor-Mediated Cellular Function. Endocrinology 2005, 146(12), 5463-5473.
- Riley M, Baker PN, Tribe RM, Taggart MJ. Expression of Scaffolding, Signalling and Contractile-Filament Proteins in Human Myometria: Effects of Pregnancy and Labour. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine 2005, 9(1), 122-134.
- Shaw LM, O'Neill SC, Jones CJP, Austin CE, Taggart MJ. Comparison of U46619-, endothelin-1- or phenylephrine-induced changes in cellular Ca2+ profiles and Ca2+ sensitisation of constriction of pressurised rat resistance arteries. British Journal of Pharmacology 2004, 141(4), 678-688.
- Shaw L, Ahmed S, Austin C, Taggart MJ. Inhibitors of Actin Filament Polymerisation Attenuate Force but not Global [Ca2+]i in Isolated Pressurised Resistance Arteries. Journal of Vascular Research 2003, 40(1), 1-10.
- Montgomery S, Shaw L, Pantelides N, Taggart MJ, Austin C. The acute effects of oestrogen receptor subtype-specific agonists on vascular contractility. British Journal of Pharmacology 2003, 139(7), 1249-1253.
- Lee Y-H, Hwang M-K, Morgan KG, Taggart MJ. Receptor-coupled contractility of uterine smooth muscle: from membrane to myofilaments. Experimental Physiology 2001, 86, 283-288.
- Taggart MJ. Smooth muscle excitation-contraction coupling: a role for caveolins and caveolae?. News in Physiological Sciences 2001, 16(April), 61-65.
- Taggart MJ, Leavis P, Feron O, Morgan KG. Inhibition of PKC and rhoA translocation in differentiated smooth muscle by a caveolin scaffolding domain peptide. Experimental Cell Research 2000, 258(1), 72-81.
- Taggart MJ, Lee Y-H, Morgan KG. Cellular Redistribution of PKCα, rhoA, and ROKα Following Smooth Muscle Agonist Stimulation. Experimental Cell Research 1999, 251(1), 92-101.
- Taggart, M.J. & Wray, S. Contribution of sarcoplasmic reticular calcium to smooth muscle contractile activation: gestational-dependence in isolated rat uterus. Journal of Physiology 1998, 511, 133-144.
- Taggart, M.J. & Wray, S. Smooth Muscle Hypoxia: key regulatory events during metabolic stress. J. Physiol 1998, 509, 315-325.
- Taggart, M.J. & Wray, S. Agonist mobilisation of sarcoplasmic reticular calcium in smooth muscle: functional coupling to the plasmalemmal Na+/Ca2+ exchanger?. Cell Calcium 1997, 22, 333-342.
- Taggart, M.J., Menice, C,B., Morgan, K.G. & Wray, S. Effect of metabolic inhibition on intracellular Ca2+, phosphorylation of myosin regulatory light chain and force in isolated rat smooth muscle. Journal of Physiology 1997, 499, 485-496.
- Taggart, M.J., Burdyga, T, Heaton, R.C. & Wray, S. Stimulus-dependent modulation of smooth muscle intracellular calcium and force by altered intracellular pH. Pflugers Archives 1996, 432, 803-811.
- Taggart, M.J., Austin, C. & Wray, S. Contribution of extracellular calcium to intracellular pH-induced changes in spontaneous force of rat portal vein. Experimental Physiology 1995, 90, 69-78.
- Taggart, M.J. & Wray, S. The effect of metabolic inhibition on rat uterine intracellular pH and its role in contractile failure. Pflugers Archives 1995, 430, 125-131.
- Taggart, M.J. & Wray, S. Occurrence of intracellular pH transients during spontaneous contractions in rat uterine smooth muscle. J. Physiol. 472: 22-31. Journal of Physiology 1993, 472, 22-31.
- Crichton, C. A., Taggart, M.J., Wray, S. & Smith, G.L. The effects of pH and inorganic phosphate on force production in alpha-toxin permeabilised isolated rat uterine smooth muscle. Journal of Physiology 1993, 465, 629-646.
- Taggart, M.J. & Marston, S.B. The effects of vascular smooth muscle caldesmon on force production by 'desensitised' skeletal muscle fibres. FEBS Lett. 1989, 242, 171-174.
- Marston, S., Pritchard, K., Redwood, C. & Taggart, M.J. Ca2+ regulation of the thin filaments: biochemical mechanism and physiological role. Biochemical Society Transactions 1988, 16, 494-497.