Acting Head, School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development
1983 - Present, Newcastle University
1983 – 1986 Demonstrator, Department of Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition.
1986 – 1992 Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1993 – 1994 Senior Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1994 – 1998 Lecturer (Grade B), Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1998 – 2005 Lecturer (Grade B) in Food Studies, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences; then School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development (AFRD).
2005 – 2008 Senior Lecturer in Food Studies, AFRD.
2008 – Present Professor of Food & Human Nutrition, AFRD.
Association for the Study of Obesity
Institute of Food Science and Technology
Effect of diet on health and disease, with a particular focus on the role of wholegrain foods, fruits and vegetables in cardiovascular disease prevention.
Effects of diet on antioxidant status and possible consequences in health and disease.
Department of Health-funded dietary intervention to investigate the effect of increasing consumption of green leafy vegetables and beetroot on cardiovascular risk factors.
Previous research includes large-scale dietary interventions funded by the Food Standards Agency (a) to investigate effects of increased consumption of wholegrain foods on cardiovascular risk [joint project with the MRC-Human Nutrition Research Group, Cambridge], and (b) to assess the usefulness of alkylrecorsinols and mammalian lignans and metabolomics as potential biomarkers of whole grain-intake.
Determining whole grain consumption in the UK population.
Behavioural studies have also been completed on the acceptability of whole grains and barriers to their consumption.
Antioxidant content of organic and conventional foodstuffs, and the effect of organic farming practices on food product quality.
In addition to leading a number of research projects, and supervising postgraduate students, I have been a member of the steering committees of another FSA-funded projects in collaboration with members of the Human Nutrition Research Centre.
· Hsu Ching-Yu, 'Evaluation of antioxidant properties of some commercially available culinary and medicinal mushrooms from Taiwan'. Taiwan Government Scholarship. Completed 2013. Joint supervisor with Dr Ed Okello, School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development.
· Salah Ali Al-hebeil, ‘Quantification of bread crust crispness including the effects of selected additives’. Libyan Government Scholarship. Completed 2013. Joint supervisor with Dr Kirsten Brandt, School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development.
· Ahmed Z Javid, 'Dietary antioxidant status in relation to oral health'. Iranian Government Scholarship. Completed 2010. Joint supervisor with Dr Paula Moynihan, School of Dental Sciences.
· Javed Sultan; MD student 'Effect of perioperative immunonutrtion for oesophago-gastric cancer on antioxidant status, oxidative damage and clinical outcome'. Completed 2010 [part time]. Joint supervisor with Professor Mike Griffin, School of Surgical and Reproductive Sciences.
· Socrates Stergiadis 'Effect of organic feeding on nutritional quality of milk'. Greek Government Scholarship. Completed 2009. Joint supervisor with Professor Carlo Leifert and Mrs. Gillian Butler, School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development.
· Suresh Kumar, 'Identification of bioactive components in plant extracts for the prevention of Alzheimer's Disease'. Indian Government Scholarship. Completed 2009. Joint supervisor with Dr Ed Okello, School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development.
· Afroditi Theodoropoulou 'Pest Management in Organic Greenhouse Tomatoes'. EU project funded. Completed 2009. Joint supervisor with Professor Carlo Leifert, School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development.
· Angela Jones, Acceptability of and barriers to consumption of wholegrain foods. BBSRC-CASE studentship with Cereal Partners UK. Completed 2007.
· Abdulbaset Nagah, Antioxidant properties of wholegrain foods. Libyan Government Scholarship. Completed 2006.
· Alaaddin Qatatsheh ‘Interaction between diet, genetic polymorphisms in glutathione peroxidases and susceptibility to ulcerative colitis’. Jordanian Government Scholarship. Jointly supervised with Professor John Hesketh, Institute of Cell and Molecular Biosciences. Completed 2005.
· Ailbhe Smith, ‘Sociological and Dietary Responses to the Consumption of Low-Fat and Wholegrain Foods’. Faculty Studentship with Nestlé. Completed 2003.
· Sarah Jowett; MD student, ‘The Influence Of Dietary Factors On Relapse Of Ulcerative Colitis. An Observational Cohort Study’. North Tyneside NHS Trust training award. Joint supervisor with Dr Mark Welfare, North Tyneside NHS Trust.
ACE3090 Food & Human Nutrition Honours Projects (ML)
ACE3062 Sports and Exercise Nutrition (ML)
ACE3054 Plants as Food
ACE3052 Human Nutrition
ACE3051 Human Nutrition and Health
ACE2046 Quantitative Techniques (ML)
ACE2040 Experimental Food Science (ML)
ACE2036 Nutrition Principles
ACE1052 Introduction to Physiology
ACE1025 Nutrition and Food Science (ML)
ACE1018 Introduction to Nutrition and Food Scienc