Degree Programme Director, Food & Human Nutrition BSc (Newcastle and Singapore)
1983 - Present, Newcastle University
1983 – 1986 Demonstrator, Department of Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition.
1986 – 1992 Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1993 – 1994 Senior Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1994 – 1998 Lecturer (Grade B), Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1998 – 2005 Lecturer (Grade B) in Food Studies, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences; then School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development (AFRD).
2005 – 2008 Senior Lecturer in Food Studies, AFRD.
2008 – Present Professor of Food & Human Nutrition, AFRD.
Association for the Study of Obesity
Institute of Food Science and Technology
Effect of diet on health and disease, with a particular focus on the role of wholegrain foods, fruits and vegetables in cardiovascular disease prevention.
Effects of diet on antioxidant status and possible consequences in health and disease.
Department of Health-funded dietary intervention to investigate the effect of increasing consumption of green leafy vegetables and beetroot on cardiovascular risk factors.
Previous research includes large-scale dietary interventions funded by the Food Standards Agency (a) to investigate effects of increased consumption of wholegrain foods on cardiovascular risk [joint project with the MRC-Human Nutrition Research Group, Cambridge], and (b) to assess the usefulness of alkylrecorsinols and mammalian lignans and metabolomics as potential biomarkers of whole grain-intake.
Determining whole grain consumption in the UK population.
Behavioural studies have also been completed on the acceptability of whole grains and barriers to their consumption.
Antioxidant content of organic and conventional foodstuffs, and the effect of organic farming practices on food product composition and quality.
In addition to leading a number of research projects, and supervising postgraduate students, I have been a member of the steering committees of another FSA-funded projects in collaboration with members of the Human Nutrition Research Centre.
· Currently supervisor/joint supervisor of 7 postgraduate PhD research students [1 awaiting examination]Supervisor/joint supervisor of 18 successful postgraduate research students (15 PhD, 3 MD); all submitted in less than 4 years. The following completed in the past 5 years:
· David Houghton (2014) ‘Modulation of fat digestion using bioactive alginates’. BBSRC studentship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Prof Jeff Pearson [Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences].
· Noha Almoraie (2014) ‘Dietary patterns in Saudi Arabian adults residing in different locations in Saudi Arabia and in the UK in relation to heart disease risk’. Saudi Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Georg Lietz.
· Peter Chater (2014) ‘Bioactive alginates and macronutrient digestion’. BBSRC studentship. Joint supervisor (30%) with Prof Jeff Pearson [Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences].
· Hsu Ching-Yu (2013) 'Evaluation of antioxidant properties of some commercially available culinary and medicinal mushrooms from Taiwan'. Taiwan Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Ed Okello.
· Helen Kendall (2013) ‘Food provisioning and the domestic food handling practices of the over 60s in the North East of England’. Food Standards Agency Studentship. Joint Supervisor (27%) with Dr Mary Brennan and Dr Sharron Kuznesof.
· Salah Ali Al-Hebeil (2013) ‘Quantification of bread crust crispness including the effects of selected additives’. Libyan Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Kirsten Brandt.
· Eletheria Toufexi (2011) ‘Effect of hybrid and soil and foliar elicitor treatments on powdery mildew disease severity, crop performance and/or expression of disease resistance mechanisms in tomato and courgette plants. Joint Supervisor (20%) with Prof Carlo Leifert and Dr Stephen Wilcockson.
· Ahmed Z Javid (2010) 'Dietary antioxidant status in relation to oral health'. Iranian Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Paula Moynihan.
· Nikolaos Volakakis, (2010) ‘Development of strategies to improve the quality and productivity of organic and ‘low input’ olive production systems in semi-arid Mediterranean regions. Greek State Scholarship Foundation. Joint supervisor (20%) with Prof Carlo Leifert, Dr E. Kabourakis and Dr D Kollaros.
· Javed Sultan (2010) MD 'Effect of perioperative immunonutrtion for oesophago-gastric cancer on antioxidant status, oxidative damage and clinical outcome'. Joint supervisor (100%) with Prof Mike Griffin.
ACE3090 Food & Human Nutrition Honours Projects (ML)
ACE3062 Sports and Exercise Nutrition (ML)
ACE3054 Plants as Food
ACE3052 Human Nutrition
ACE3051 Human Nutrition and Health
ACE2046 Quantitative Techniques (ML)
ACE2040 Experimental Food Science (ML)
ACE2036 Nutrition Principles
ACE1052 Introduction to Physiology
ACE1025 Nutrition and Food Science (ML)
ACE1018 Introduction to Nutrition and Food Scienc