Reproductive and Vascular Biology Group
- Unique human tissue resource (consisting of targeted uterine samples [upper segment, cervix, placental bed] from normal and abnormal pregnancies
- High quality 'in-situ' cellular technologies [immunohistochemistry, TISH and laser capture microscopy/PCR] with large scale gene expression profiling [subtraction hybridisation, SAGE (serial analysis of gene expression)].
- Novel in vivo approaches to trophoblast/myometrium/leukocyte interactions (incorporating trophoblast invasion assays and co-culture techniques)
- International recognition in terms of quality of publications, invited lectures, and international collaborations (Krainer [Cold Spring Harbor, USA], Myatt [Cincinatti, USA], Lye [Toronto, Canada]).
- Continued integration of myometrial and trophoblast components of group in terms of maximising clinical material and laboratory technologies
- Continued development of gene expression technologies with wider application in (a) different clinical problems and (b) different cell types (rather than 'whole' tissues)
- Establishment of national networks for myometrial research as forerunner to submitting applications for MRC Group Status
- Attract a high quality scientist with expertise in trophoblast signalling
Further information about this area of research can be found at
the Institute of Cellular Medicine
>> Research Groups