Centre for Research in Linguistics and Language Sciences (CRiLLS)
The strengths of the Centre for Research in Linguistics and Language Sciences (CRiLLS) are both its breadth of expertise, ranging from the highly theoretical to the very applied, and its pool of interdisciplinary research activities, bridging theory and application.
There is significant work and expertise in the areas of:
- Applied linguistics and language acquisition
- Theoretical and descriptive linguistics
- Clinical linguistics
- Corpus linguistics and phonetics
CRiLLS provides a range of state-of-the-art resources including dedicated research space and access to linguistics software and databases as well as space for meetings, seminars and social activities.
The software available are as follows:
- Audacity - an easy-to-use audio editor and recorder
- CHILDES - this database contains transcript and media data collected from conversation between young children and their playmates and caretakers
- Endnote - software tool for publishing and managing bibliographies
- Minitab - statistics package to analyse data and improve quality
- PRAAT - phonetics by computers
- SPSS - predictive analytics software
- Treeform - a linguistic syntax / semantics tree drawing editor