Dr Filippo Scialo
I obtained my PhD in Biology in 2011 inItaly after receiving additional training at Max Planck Institute in Jena (Germany) funded by an EMBO short term fellowship. After graduation, I became interested in studying the role mitochondria play in the aging process and in 2012 I started my postdoctoral research at the Institute of Biomedical Technology (Finland) in the laboratory of Dr Alberto Sanz. There I acquired expertise in the use of Drosophila melanogaster in ageing research, working on novel fly models in order to manipulate mitochondrial function in vivo. In March 2014, I started as a Research Associate at the Institute of Ageing, Newcastle University where I am exploring the possibilities of using alternative enzymes to modify mitochondrial function in normal and pathological situations. My current project is focused on understanding the role that mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (mtROS) play in the process of ageing. Using Drosophila melanogaster as model system we have created novel fly models and tools that allow the modulation of mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species production in vivo. Through changes in mtROS I am able to alter the lifespan of the flies. Currently, I am investigating the pathway(s) involved in lifespan extension in order to identify new strategies to delay ageing and the onset of age-related diseases.
- Angrisani A, Matrone N, Belli V, Vicidomini R, Di Maio N, Turano M, Scialo F, Netti PA, Porcellini A, Furia M. A functional connection between dyskerin and energy metabolism. Redox Biology 2018, 14, 557-565.
- Scialo F, Fernandez-Ayala DJ, Sanz A. Role of Mitochondrial Reverse Electron Transport in ROS Signalling: potential roles in Health and Disease. Frontiers in Physiology 2017, 8, 428.
- Scialo F, Sriram A, Fernández-Ayala D, Gubina N, Lõhmus M, Nelson G, Logan A, Cooper HM, Navas P, Enríquez JA, Murphy MP, Sanz A. Mitochondrial ROS Produced via Reverse Electron Transport Extend Animal Lifespan. Cell Metabolism 2016, 23(4), 725-734.
- Scialo F, Sriram A, Stefanatos R, Sanz A. Practical Recommendations for the Use of the GeneSwitch Gal4 System to Knock-Down Genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Plos One 2016, 11(8), e0161817.
- Scialo F, Sriram A, Naudi A, Ayala V, Jove M, Pamplona R, Sanz A. Target of rapamycin activation predicts lifespan in fruit flies. Cell Cycle 2015, 14(18), 2949-2958.
- Mallikarjun V, Sriram A, Scialo F, Sanz A. The interplay between mitochondrial protein and iron homeostasis and its possible role in ageing. Experimental Gerontology 2014, 56, 123-134.