Professor James Shaw
Professor of Regenerative Medicine for Diabetes and Honorary Consultant Physician
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7019
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 0723
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/biomedicine/research/groups/profile/jim.shaw#tab_profile
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
4th Floor William Leech Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Major interests in the development of gene therapy and beta cell replacement for diabetes including stem cell approaches; pancreatic/islet transplantation; and pump therapy by continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion.
HEFCE-funded clinician scientist who has played an integral role in fostering the multidisciplinary networks underpinning translation of cell therapy in Newcastle. Led the bid for NHS funding of an integrated clinical islet transplant programme in the UK as chair of the UK Islet Transplant Consortium. This has underpinned a national experimental medicine biomedical and psychosocial outcomes study in islet patients (including capacity for assessment of inflammatory and immune response) on which he is Chief Investigator. Forged industrial links through Regener8 (leading national RM network) funding, facilitating development of technology and sustainable business models for external quality control testing predictive of in vivo outcomes. This has enabled collaboration with University of Arizona, Athersys and Giner Inc.
Collaboration with Athersys and Pfizer funded by the Technology Strategy Board enabled initial establishment of a translational research programme (including optimized in vivo models and exploration of the regulatory landscape) towards co-transplantation of Multistem as an adjuvant therapy to islet transplantation to attenuate early inflammatory response, prevent graft rejection and maximise long-term function.
National Chief Investigator for the first UK RCT in islet transplant recipients – evaluating the novel anti-inflammatory drug reparixin, administered at the time of islet infusion.
Newcastle Principal Investigator for MRC / BBSRC / EPSRC UK Regenerative Medicine Platform Immunology Hub coordinated by Prof Fiona Watt, King’s College London.
Long-standing strong collaboration with King’s College London Diabetes Research Groups most recently evidenced by joint JDRF funding with Tim Tree evaluating recurrent auto- and allo-immunit following islet transplantation.
Has previously established surface marker and functional assays of endothelial progenitor cells in patients with type 1 diabetes and those with thyroid disease.
Clinically qualified and active diabetologist specialising in Type 1 diabetes complicated by recurrent severe hypoglycaemia. Clinical lead for Newcastle insulin pump service with over 250 new pump starts. Chief Investigator for hypoCOMPaSS a multicentre RCT comparing insulin pump and conventional insulin injection therapy with and without continuous subcutaneous glucose monitoring in those with impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia at highest risk of recurrent severe hypoglycaemia.
01.04.15-31.09.15 MRC Confidence in Concept (£29,126) White MG Shaw JAM - Utilising a novel model of human beta-cell dedifferentiation for screening potential disease-modifying functional impact of candidate therapeutic agents for type 2 diabetes
01.10.15-30.09.18 Diabetes UK (£92,460) Shaw JAM, White M - Defining the role of dedifferentiation as a primary mechanism of beta-cell dysfunction in type 2 diabetes
01.01.15-31.12.17 Diabetes UK (£360,436) Shaw JAM, Marshall H, Porat Y - Development of a novel donor human islet / recipient endothelial progenitor cell chimeric tissue transplant for type 1 diabetes
01.04.14-31.03.17 UK Regenerative Medicine Platform (£4.5M) – led Watt F, King’s College London - Overcoming immunological barriers to regenerative medicine
01.10.13-30.09.16 Diabetes UK (£93,626) Shaw JAM, Marshall H - Targeting islet inflammation ex vivo and following transplantation
01.03.13-28.02.16 Dompe (£130,000) (Shaw JAM – UK Chief Investigator) - Target the early inflammatory response to islet transplantation: reparixin vs placebo RCT
01.02.13-31.01.15 Diabetes UK (£137,991) Arden C, Lovat P, Shaw JAM - Unveiling the mechanisms by which glucagon-like peptide-1 protects pancreatic beta-cells
01.11.11-31.10.12 Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation (£150,000) - Enhanced conversion of expanded criteria donor pancreases into successful clinical islet transplants
01.09.11-31.08.14 Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation ($589,778) Tree T, Peakman M, Shaw J. - Iatrogenic immunisation reveals the properties of destructive T-cells
01.07.10-31.03.11 Technology Strategy Board grant (Newcastle funding £217,090) - Prepare for an Evaluation of a Diabetes Interventional Cell Therapy (PrEDICT)
01.02.10-31.01.11 RegeNer8 Translational Regenerative Medicine Award (£299,968) - A sustainable quality-assured system for assessment of pancreatic islets for product release and transport to geographically distant clinical transplant centres
01.01.01.10 -31.12.10 Newcastle Healthcare Charity (Collin M, Hambleton S, Dickinson AM, van Laar J, Shaw JAM) - Implementation of mesenchymal stromal cell therapy in Newcastle
01.10.09-30.09.12 Diabetes UK PhD Studentship - Isolation, characterisation and beta-cell differentiation potential of pluripotent stem cells derived from adult human pancreas
01.06.09 Diabetes UK Equipment grant (Arden C; Shaw J; Aldibbiat A £45,000) - Live-cell imaging of protein interactions and lineage tracing of human pancreatic cells
01.05.09-30.04.12 Tolerx Defend1 RCT: anti-CD3 in newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes (Leech N, Shaw J, Walker M)
01.10.08-31.07.12 Diabetes UK (£1,401,716) - Prevention of recurrent severe hypoglycaemia: a definitive RCT comparing optimised MDI and CSII with or without adjunctive real-time continuous glucose monitoring
01.04.08-31.03.11 Diabetes UK project grant (Walker M, Chinnery P, Shaw J £155,359) - Does decreased mitochondrial DNA copy number with ageing impair pancreatic beta-cell function?
01.03.08 Medtronic (Shaw local PI) - Evaluation of first clinically available pump with ‘closed loop’ capability
01.01.08-31.12.13 Diabetes UK (Agius L, Arden C, Shaw J £29,239) - Equipment for insulin determination by HTRF
01.12.07-31.05.08 North East Stem Cell Institute (£8,000) - Phenotypic characterisation of stem cell derived beta-cells prior to clinical translation
01.10.07-30.09.12 Sanofi-Aventis (Shaw local PI £15,000) - Cardiovascular Risk Evaluation in people with type 2 Diabetes on Insulin Therapy. Long-term international non- interventional study in people with Type 2 diabetes treated with insulin.
01.07.07-31.01.12 Diabetes UK project grant (£430,255) - Establishment of optimised biomedical and psychosocial measures to determine overall outcomes in islet transplant recipients
01.01.07 -30.06.07 Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation project grant (£29,940) - Enhancement of â-cell mass and function in human islets by physiological factors upregulated in pregnancy
01.01.07-31.12.07 Diabetes Foundation project grant (Amiel SA; Shaw JAM £160,000) - A proposal to validate and establish remote islet isolation for the treatment of Type 1 diabetes in the UK
1.8.00-31.7.06 Glaxo-Wellcome Senior Fellowship: (£350,000) - Transplantation and gene therapy for diabetes
01.06.05-31.05.06 Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Charity research grant (£38,423) - Remote islet transplantation: a feasibility study
01.04.05 One North East stem cell equipment grant (£27,000)
01.01.05-31.12.06 Blood glucose awareness training in Type 1 diabetes - Principal investigator initiated (supported by Novo Nordisk £25,000)
01.10.04-30.09.05 Diabetes UK Project Grant (Agius L; Shaw J £45,056) - Cellular analysis of glucokinase MODY mutants in pancreatic beta-cells and hepatocytes
1.6.02-30.9.04 Project grant supported by Aventis / MiniMed (£160,000) - Can hypoglycaemia awareness be restored in individuals with established Type 1 diabetes mellitus and severe hypoglycaemia by detection and targeted prevention of hypoglycaemia employing an optimised subcutaneous insulin regime employing insulin Glargine
1.11.01-31.10.02 Freeman Hospital Trustees Grant (£37567) - Development of glucose-responsive insulin secretion in transfected human myoblasts
1.11.01 Joint Research Equipment Initiative (MRC) grant (Agius L / Shaw JAM £27329)
- Brooks AM, Oram R, Home P, Steen N, Shaw JAM. Demonstration of an Intrinsic Relationship Between Endogenous C-Peptide Concentration and Determinants of Glycemic Control in Type 1 Diabetes Following Islet Transplantation. Diabetes Care 2015, 38(1), 105-112.
- Zummo FP, Cullen KS, Lovat PE, Shaw JA, Arden C. Glucagon-like peptide 1 protects pancreatic beta cells from programmed cell death: a role for autophagy. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- West DJ, Stevenson EJ, Campbell MD, Walker M, Shaw JA, Ahmed FW, Wijaya S, Weaver J. Inflammation and the acute endothelial progenitor cell response to submaximal running exercise in males with and without Type 1 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2015. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Campbell MD, Walker M, Trenell MI, Stevenson EJ, Turner D, Bracken RM, Shaw JA, West DJ. A Low-Glycemic Index Meal and Bedtime Snack Prevents Postprandial Hyperglycemia and Associated Rises in Inflammatory Markers, Providing Protection From Early but Not Late Nocturnal Hypoglycemia Following Evening Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2014, 37(7), 1845-1853.
- Tan HK, Little SA, Leelarathna L, Walkinshaw E, Lubina-Solomon A, Kerr D, Heller S, Evans ML, Shaw JA, Flanagan D. Coefficient of variation from continuous glucose monitoring is associated with the frequency of hypoglycaemia in Type 1 diabetes complicated by impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia: baseline analysis of the HypoCOMPaSS study group. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2014. 2014, Liverpool, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Harrison M, Marriott C, Shaw J. Examining Glycaemic Control and Variability Utilising the Medtronic Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS) In Pre And Post CSII Therapy. In: 7th International Conference on Advanced Technologies & Treatments for Diabetes. 2014, Vienna, Austria: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- Oram RA, Brooks AM, Forbes S, Eckoldt S, Smith RM, Choudhary P, Rosenthal MJ, Johnson P, Rutter MK, Burling KA, McDonald TJ, Shaw JAM, Hattersley AT. Home Urine C-Peptide Creatinine Ratio Can Be Used to Monitor Islet Transplant Function. Diabetes Care 2014, 37(6), 1737-1740.
- Reddy MS, Carter N, Cunningham A, Shaw J, Talbot D. Portal Venous Oxygen Persufflation of the Donation after Cardiac Death pancreas in a rat model is superior to static cold storage and hypothermic machine perfusion. Transplant International 2014, 27(6), 634-639.
- Little SA, Leelarathna L, Walkinshaw E, Kai Tan H, Chapple O, Lubina-Solomon A, Chadwick TJ, Barendse S, Stocken DD, Brennand C, Marshall SM, Wood R, Speight J, Kerr D, Flanagan D, Heller SR, Evans ML, Shaw JAM. Recovery of Hypoglycemia Awareness in Long-Standing Type 1 diabetes: A Multicenter 2x2 Factorial RCT Comparing Insulin Pump with Multiple Daily Injections and Continuous with Conventional Glucose Self-Monitoring (HypoCOMPaSS). Diabetes Care 2014, 37.
- Little SA, Leelarathna L, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Chapple O, Lubina-Solomon A, Chadwick TJ, Barendse S, Stocken DD, Brennand C, Marshall SM, Wood R, Speight J, Kerr D, Flanagan D, Heller SR, Evans ML, Shaw JAM. Response to Comment on Little et al. Recovery of Hypoglycemia Awareness in Long-standing Type 1 Diabetes: A Multicenter 2 x 2 Factorial Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Insulin Pump With Multiple Daily Injections and Continuous With Conventional Glucose Self-monitoring (HypoCOMPaSS). Diabetes Care 2014;37:2114-2122. Diabetes Care 2014, 37(12), E272-E273.
- Little SA, Leelarathna L, Barendse SM, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Solomon AL, de Zoysa N, Rogers H, Choudhary P, Amiel SA, Heller SR, Evans M, Flanagan D, Speight J, Shaw JAM. Severe hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes mellitus: underlying drivers and potential strategies for successful prevention. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews 2014, 30(3), 175-190.
- Fairhall EA, Wallace K, White SA, Huang GC, Shaw JA, Wright SC, Charlton KA, Burt AD, Wright MC. Adult human exocrine pancreas differentiation to hepatocytes – potential source of a human hepatocyte progenitor for use in toxicology research. Toxicology Research 2013, 2(1), 80-87.
- Brooks AM, Walker N, Aldibbiat A, Hughes S, Jones G, de Havilland J, Choudhary P, Huang GC, Parrott N, McGowan NWA, Casey J, Mumford L, Barker P, Burling K, Hovorka R, Walker M, Smith RM, Forbes S, Rutter MK, Amiel S, Rosenthal MJ, Johnson P, Shaw JAM. Attainment of Metabolic Goals in the Integrated UK Islet Transplant Program With Locally Isolated and Transported Preparations. American Journal of Transplantation 2013, 13(12), 3236-3243.
- White MG, Marshall HL, Shaw JAM. Beta cell dedifferentiation: Evidence for ductal progenitors as a source of new beta cells?. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2013, Manchester: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- White MG, Marshall HL, Rigby R, Huang GC, Amer A, Booth T, White S, Shaw JAM. Expression of Mesenchymal and α-Cell Phenotypic Markers in Islet β-Cells in Recently Diagnosed Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2013, 36(11), 3818-3820.
- Mueller KR, Scott WE, Jie T, Weegman BP, Balamurugan AN, Kitzmann JP, Marshall H, Shaw J, Manas D, Persaud S, Huang GC, Khorsandi SE, Tempelman L, Pongratz RL, Cline GW, Gruessner AC, Gruessner RW, Papas K. Human Pancreas Persufflation Ameliorates Hypoxia-Induced Impairment of Islet Function Post-Isolation. In: 14th World Congress of the International Pancreas and Islet Transplant Association. 2013, Monterey, CA, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Papas KK, Karatzas T, Berney T, Minor T, Pappas P, Pattou F, Shaw J, Toso C, Schuurman HJ. International workshop: islet transplantation without borders enabling islet transplantation in Greece with international collaboration and innovative technology. Clinical Transplantation 2013, 27(2), E116-E125.
- Mumford LL, Shaw JA, Johnson P, Jones G, Parrott N, Rutter MK, Amiel S, Smith RM, McGowan N, Hughes S, Huang GC, Casey J. Islet Activity and Outcomes in the United Kingdom. In: 14th World Congress of the International Pancreas and Islet Transplant Association. 2013, Monterey, CA, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Forbes S, Shaw JAM. Islet transplantation and return of hypoglycaemic awareness: the same Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) rules still apply. Diabetic Medicine 2013, 30(7), 886-886.
- Leelarathna L, Little SA, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Kumareswaran K, Solomon AL, Flanagan D, Heller S, Shaw JAM, Evans ML, Chow E. Patients with longstanding type 1 diabetes show improved self awareness of hypoglycaemia measured during clamped hypoglycaemic challenges after a six month intensive treatment period in the HypoCOMPASS Study: comparison of optimised multiple daily injections (MDI) and continuous insulin infusion therapy (CSII) with or without adjunctive real-time continuous glucose monitoring (RTCGM). In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2013. 2013, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Ahmmed AA, Brooks AMS, Hollingsworth KG, Trenell M, Choudhary P, Amiel SA, Rosenthal M, Forbes S, Rutter MK, Taylor R, Shaw JAM. Quantification of hepatic steatosis before and after intraportal pancreatic islet transplantation. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2013. 2013, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Marshall HL, Mueller KR, Papas KK, Shaw JAM. Rapid detection of hypoxic islet stress by oxygen consumption rate using a standardised beta cell model. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2013. 2013, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Brooks AMS, Aldibbiat A, Bennett D, Wardle J, Gordon C, Walker M, Shaw JAM. Restoration of endogenous C-peptide by islet transplantation is associated with increased duration of normoglycaemia and reduced blood glucose variability in recipients with Type 1 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2013. 2013, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Leelarathna L, Little SA, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Lubina-Solomon A, Kumareswaran K, Lane AP, Chadwick T, Marshall SM, Speight J, Flanagan D, Heller SR, Shaw JA, Evans ML. Restoration of self-awareness of hypoglycemia in adults with long-standing Type 1 diabetes: hyperinsulinemic-hypoglycemic clamp substudy results from the HypoCOMPaSS trial. Diabetes Care 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Oram RA, Brooks AMS, Smith R, Rutter MK, Johnson PR, Choudhary P, Rosenthal M, Forbes S, McDonald TJ, Hattersley AT, Shaw JAM. Urine c-peptide creatinine ratio can be used for home monitoring of islet transplant function. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2013. 2013, Manchester: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Little S, Chadwick T, Choudhary P, Brennand C, Stickland J, Barendse S, Olateju T, Leelarathna L, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Marshall SM, Thomas RM, Heller S, Evans M, Kerr D, Flanagan D, Speight J, Shaw JAM. Comparison of Optimised MDI versus Pumps with or without Sensors in Severe Hypoglycaemia (the Hypo COMPaSS trial). BMC Endocrine Disorders 2012, 12(1), 33.
- Thomas MP, Wilson CH, Nayar M, Manas DM, Walker M, Shaw J, White SA. Endoscopic Botulinum Toxin Injection for the Treatment of Diabetic Gastropathy in Pancreas and Islet-cell Transplant Patients. Experimental and Clinical Transplantation 2012, 10(2), 168-171.
- Niessen SJM, Powney S, Guitian J, Niessen APM, Pion PD, Shaw JAM, Church DB. Evaluation of a Quality-of-Life Tool for Dogs with Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2012, 26(4), 953-961.
- Niessen SJM, Fernandez-Fuente M, Mahmoud A, Campbell SC, Aldibbiat A, Huggins C, Brown AE, Holder A, Piercy RJ, Catchpole B, Shaw JAM, Church DB. Novel diabetes mellitus treatment: mature canine insulin production by canine striated muscle through gene therapy. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2012, 43(1), 16-25.
- Barlow AD, Xie J, Moore CE, Campbell SC, Shaw JA, Nicholson ML, Herbert TP. Rapamycin toxicity in MIN6 cells and rat and human islets is mediated by the inhibition of mTOR complex 2 (mTORC2). Diabetologia 2012, 55(5), 1355-1365.
- Aldibbiat A, Huang GC, Zhao M, Holliman GN, Ferguson L, Hughes S, Brigham K, Wardle J, Williams R, Dickinson A, White SA, Johnson PRV, Manas D, Amiel SA, Shaw JAM. Validation of Islet Transport From a Geographically Distant Isolation Center Enabling Equitable Access and National Health Service Funding of a Clinical Islet Transplant Program for England. Cell Transplantation 2012, 21(1), 382-382.
- Little S, Shaw J, Home P. Hypoglycemic rates with basal insulin analogs. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics 2011, 13(Suppl. 1), S53-S64.
- Choudhary P, Shin J, Wang YY, Evans ML, Hammond PJ, Kerr D, Shaw JAM, Pickup JC, Amiel SA. Insulin Pump Therapy With Automated Insulin Suspension in Response to Hypoglycemia: Reduction in nocturnal hypoglycemia in those at greatest risk. Diabetes Care 2011, 34(9), 2023-2025.
- White MG, Al-Turaifi HR, Holliman GN, Aldibbiat A, Mahmoud A, Shaw JAM. Pluripotency-associated stem cell marker expression in proliferative cell cultures derived from adult human pancreas. Journal of Endocrinology 2011, 211(2), 169-176.
- Wallace K, Shaw J, White SA, Wright S, Burt AD, Wright MC. Prolonged glucocorticoid exposure results in the appearance of hepatocytes in the adult pancreas. In: Journal of Hepatology: 46th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL). 2011, Berlin, Germany: Elsevier BV.
- Hammond P, Amiel S, Dayan C, Kerr D, Pickup J, Shaw J, Campbell F, Greene S, Hindmarsh P. ABCD position statement on continuous glucose monitoring: Use of glucose sensing in outpatient clinical diabetes care. Practical Diabetes International 2010, 27(2), 66-68.
- MacKinnon D, Shaw J, Docherty I. Devolution as Process: Institutional Structures, State Personnel and Transport Policy in the United Kingdom. Space and Polity 2010, 14(3), 271-287.
- Shakoor SKA, Aldibbiat A, Ingoe LE, Campbell SC, Sibal L, Shaw J, Home PD, Razvi S, Weaver JU. Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Subclinical Hypothyroidism: The Effect of Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2010, 95(1), 319-322.
- Cumbers A, MacKinnon D, Shaw J. Labour, organisational rescaling and the politics of production: union renewal in the privatised rail industry. Work, Employment & Society 2010, 24(1), 127-144.
- Ridgway D, Manas D, Shaw J, White S. Preservation of the donor pancreas for whole pancreas and islet transplantation. CLINICAL TRANSPLANTATION 2010, 24(1), 1-19.
- Wallace K, White SA, Shaw JA, Burt AD, Wright MC. Chronic Elevated Systemic Glucocorticocoid Results in Widespread Pancreatic-Hepatic Trans-Differentiation In Vivo. In: The Liver Meeting 2009: 60th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. 2009, Boston, Massachusetts: Hepatology: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Sibal L, Aldibbiat A, Agarwal SC, Mitchell G, Oates C, Razvi S, Weaver JU, Shaw JA, Home PD. Circulating endothelial progenitor cells, endothelial function, carotid intima-media thickness and circulating markers of endothelial dysfunction in people with type 1 diabetes without macrovascular disease or microalbuminuria. Diabetologia 2009, 52(8), 1464-1473.
- Reddy MS, Kibondo A, Aldibbiat A, Stamp S, Shenton B, Shaw JAM, Carter N, Cunningham A, Talbot D. Improved Preservation of Non Heart-Beating- Donor Pancreases Prior to Islet Isolation Using Portal Venous Oxygen Persufflation. American Journal of Transplantation 2009, 9, 405.
- Niessen S, Mahmoud A, Arden C, Brown A, Campbell S, Aldibbiat A, Church D, Shaw J. Muscle targeted gene therapy for diabetes mellitus: role of proteasomal decay in mutant proinsulin plasmid efficiency. In: Human Gene and Cell Therapy: 17th European Society of Gene and Cell Therapy. 2009, Hannover, Germany: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Publishers.
- Mahmoud A, Niessen S, Aldibbiat A, Al-Turaifi H, Huggins C , Shaw JAM. Muscle-targeted gene transfer enables continuous secretion of GLP-1 and exendin-4 in mice. Human Gene Therapy 2009, 20(11), 1542.
- White S, Shaw J, Sutherland D. Pancreas transplantation. The Lancet 2009, 373(9677), 1808-1817.
- Reddy M, Kibondo A, Aldibbiat A, Stamp S, Shenton BK, Shaw JAM, Carter N, Cunningham A, Talbot D. Portal venous oxygen persufflation for the preservation of non heart-beating-donor pancreases prior to islet isolation. In: 14th Congress of the European Society for Organ Transplantation. 2009, Paris, France: Transplant International: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Arden C, Hampson L, Huang G, Shaw J, Aldibbiat A, Holliman G, Manas D, Khan S, Lange A, Agius L. A role for PFK-2/FBPase-2, as distinct from fructose 2,6-bisphosphate, in regulation of insulin secretion in pancreatic β-cells. Biochemical Journal 2008, 411(1), 41-51.
- Niessen S, Mahmoud A, Aldibbiat A, Campbell S, Brown A, Huggins C, Catchpole B, Church D, Shaw J. Development of muscle targeted gene therapy with a mutant canine proinsulin plasmid for the treatment of canine diabetes mellitus. In: 16th Annual Congress of the European Society of Gene and Cell Therapy. 2008, Brugge, Belgium: Human Gene Theraphy: Mary Ann Liebert Inc.
- AlTuraifi HRH, Aldibbiat AIM, Holliman GN, Campbell SC, Shaw JAM, Huang GGC, Amiel SGC. Expression of pluripotent stem cell markers within intact adult human pancreas and proliferative adherent cell cultures derived from digested pancreas. Diabetologia 2008, 51(s1), S182 no. 437.
- Al-Turaifi HRH, AldibbiaT AIM, Holliman GN, Campbell SC, Shaw JAM, Huang GGC, Amiel SGC. Expression of pluripotent stem cell markers within intact adult human pancreas and proliferative adherent cell cultures derived from digested pancreas. In: DIABETOLOGIA. 2008, 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013 USA: SPRINGER.
- Mahmoud A, Aldibbiat A, Niessen SJM, Campbell SC, Holliman GN, Joshi S, Scougall KT, Shaw JAM. Expression, storage and rapid regulated secretion of active glucagon like peptide-1 following muscle-targeted gene transfer. Diabetologia 2008, 51(s1), S363 no. 906.
- Mahmoud A, Aldibbiat A, Niessen SJM, Campbell SC, Holliman GN, Joshi S, Scougall KT, Shaw JAM. Expression, storage and rapid regulated secretion of active glucagon like peptide-1 following muscle-targeted gene transfer. In: DIABETOLOGIA. 2008, 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013 USA: SPRINGER.
- Aldibbiat A, Holliman GN, Al-Turaifi H, Campbell SC, Huang G, Shaw J. Generation of insulin-synthesising pseudo-islets from adult stem cell cultures derived from the human pancreas. Diabetologia 2008, 51(Supplement 1), S183 no. 439.
- Aldibbiat A, Marriott CE, Scougall KT, Campbell SC, Huang GC, Macfarlane WM, Shaw JAM. Inability to process and store proinsulin in transdifferentiated pancreatic acinar cells lacking the regulated secretory pathway. Journal of Endocrinology 2008, 196(1), 33-43.
- Niessen SJM, Mahmoud A, Aldibbiat A, Huggins C, Church DB, Shaw JAM. Muscle-targeted gene therapy for the treatment of diabetes mellitus: Investigating the role of the immune system when employing mutant (pro)insulin. Diabetologia 2008, 51(Supplement 1), S243 no. 600.
- Niessen S, Mahmoud A, Campbell S, Brown A, Aldibbiat A, Huggins C, Church D, Shaw J. Novel furin-cleavable human insulin construct (hppI5) for muscle targeted gene therapy in diabetes mellitus. In: 16th Annual Congress of the European Society of Gene and Cell Therapy. 2008, Brugge, Belgium: Human Gene Therapy: Mary Ann Liebert Inc.
- Campbell SC, Aldibbiat A, Marriott CE, Landy C, Ali T, Ferris WF, Butler CS, Shaw JA, Macfarlane WM. Selenium stimulates pancreatic beta-cell gene expression and enhances islet function. FEBS Letters 2008, 582(15), 2333-2337.
- Sibal L, Jones A, Aldibbiat A, Mitchell G, Oates C, Weaver J, Shaw JAM, Home PD. The influence of the presence of retinopathy on the circulating endothelial progenitor cell counts, endothelial function and carotid intima-media thickness in type I diabetes. Diabetologia 2008, 51(Supplement 1), S552 no. 1372.
- Thomas RM, Aldibbiat A, Griffin W, Cox MAA, Leech NJ, Shaw JAM. A randomized pilot study in type 1 diabetes complicated by severe hypoglycaemia, comparing rigorous hypoglycaemia avoidance with insulin analogue therapy, CSII or education alone. Diabetic Medicine 2007, 24(7), 778-783.
- Arden C, Trainer A, De La Iglesia N, Scougall KT, Gloyn AL, Lange AJ, Shaw J, Matschinsky FM, Agius L. Cell biology assessment of glucokinase mutations V62M and G72R in pancreatic β-cells: Evidence for cellular instability of catalytic activity. Diabetes 2007, 56(7), 1773-1782.
- Ratanamart J, Huggins CG, Kirby JA, Shaw J. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of intrinsic immunogenicity of reporter and insulin gene therapy plasmids. Journal of Gene Medicine 2007, 9(8), 703-714.
- Aldibbiat A, Huang GC, Zhao M, Reddy MS, Holliman GH, Dunn J, Dickinson AM, Manas DM, Amiel SA, Shaw JAM. [abstract] Confirmation of maintained sterility, viability and function in clinical-grade human islets following transport from an approved geographically-distance isolation facility. Diabetic Medicine 2006, 23(s2), 23 abstract no. A86.
- Arden C, Scougall KT, Shaw JAM, Agius L. [abstract] Generation of MIN6 stable cell lines expressing GFP-tagged glucokinase for cellular analysis of glucokinase mutants. Diabetic Medicine 2006, 23(s2), 9 abstract no. A30.
- Sibal L, Aldibbiat A, Harvey IJ, Shenton BK, Holliman GN, Shaw JAM, Home PD. [abstract] Identification and quantification of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in individuals with Type 1 diabetes and non-diabetic controls. Diabetic Medicine 2006, 23(s2), 49 abstract no. P74.
- Arutchelvam V, Heslop E, Welsh P, Griffins W, Weatherburn S, Aldibbiat A, Leech N, Shaw JAM. [abstract] Safety and efficacy of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy in relation to pre-intervention HbA1c. Diabetic Medicine 2006, 23(s2), 86 abstract no. P222.
- Ratanamart J, Shaw JAM. Plasmid-mediated muscle-targeted gene therapy for circulating therapeutic protein replacement: A tale of the tortoise and the hare?. Current Gene Therapy 2006, 6(1), 93-110.
- Wilson MO, Scougall KT, McIntyre EA, Shaw JAM. Storage, processing and rapid regulated secretion of insulin following gene transfer to human muscle. In: British Society for Gene Therapy: 2nd Annual Meeting. 2006, Manchester, UK.
- Wong YT, Del-Rio-Martin J, Jaques B, Shaw JAM, Talbot D. Audit of diabetes in a renal transplant population. In: Transplantation Proceedings. 2005, Elsevier.
- Aldibbiat A, Scougall KT, Campbell SC, Macfarlane WM, Shaw JAM. Proinsulin overexpression as a tool for characterization of β-cell phenotype in transdifferentiation studies. Diabetes 2005, (under review).
- Ratanamart J, Huggins CG, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-regulated human proinsulin secretion following plasmid-mediated gene transfer to muscle. In: British Society for Gene Therapy: 2nd Annual Meeting. 2005, Manchester, UK.
- Wilson MO, Scougall KT, Ratanamart J, McIntyre EA, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-regulated secretion of human (pro)insulin following plasmid-mediated transfection of human muscle. Journal of Molecular Endocrinology 2005, 34(2), 391-403.
- Aldibbiat K, Scougall KT, Campbell SC, Macfarlane WM, Shaw J. Characterisation of pancreatic acinar cells for endocrine potential and determination of proinsulin processing and secretion following transfection with a human preproinsulin gene. In: Journal of Gene Medicine: 1st Annual Conference of the British Society for Gene Therapy. 2004, Oxford, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Ratanamart J, Scougall KT, Kirby JA, Shaw JAM. Establishment of an in vitro bioassay for immunogenicity of bacterial lipopolysaccharide and unmethylated CpG motifs in plasmid-derived gene therapy vectors. In: Journal of Gene Medicine: 1st Annual Conference of the British Society for Gene Therapy. 2004, Oxford, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Campbell RN, Shaw JAM, Macfarlane WM. Generation of glucose-responsive insulin expression constructs for use in a muscle-targeted gene therapy approach to the treatment of diabetes mellitus. In: Journal of Gene Medicine: 1st Annual Conference of the British Society for Gene Therapy. 2004, Oxford, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Wilson MO, Scougall KT, McIntyre E, Yeaman SJ, Walker M, Shaw JAM. Towards muscle-targeted gene therapy for diabetes: Tetracycline-repressible transcriptional regulation of (pro)insulin secretion in human muscle. In: 1st Annual Conference of the British Society for Gene Therapy. 2004, Keble College, Oxford: Journal of Gene Medicine: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Wilson MO, McIntyre EA, Scougall KT, Shearing PA, Walker M, Yeaman SJ, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-regulated (pro)insulin secretion and processing to mature insulin following plasmid-mediated transfection of human muscle. Diabetic Medicine 2003, 20(s2), 9.
- Scougall KT, Maltin CA, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-regulated secretion of human insulin in a transfected non-endocrine cell line. Journal of Molecular Endocrinology 2003, 30(3), 331-346.
- Scougall KT, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-regulated secretion of human insulin in transfected primary myoblasts. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2003, 304(1), 167-175.
- Shaw JAM, Pearson DWM, Krukowski ZH, Fisher PM, Bevan JS. Cushing's syndrome during pregnancy: Curative Adrenalectomy at 31 Weeks Gestation. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 2002, 105(2), 189-191.
- Shaw JAM. Development of alternatives to insulin injection by genetic engineering. Diabetes Voice 2002, 47, 30-34.
- Shaw JAM, Docherty K. Genetic engineering in the treatment of diabetes. In: Wass, J.A.H., Shalet, S.M, ed. Oxford Textbook of Endocrinology and Diabetes. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002, pp.1866-1872.
- Unwin N, Shaw J, Zimmet P, Alberti KGMM. Impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glycaemia: the current status on definition and intervention. Diabetic Medicine 2002, 19(9), 708-723.
- Thomas RM, Korim MT, Kerrison M, Leech N, Shaw JAM. Retrospective audit of individuals with Type 1 diabetes mellitus with and without altered hypoglycaemia awareness / severe hypoglycaemia attending Newcastle Diabetes Centre. In: Endocrine Abstracts: 193rd Meeting of the Society for Endocrinology. 2002, London: BioScientifica Ltd.
- Shaw JAM, Delday MI, Hart AW, Docherty HM, Maltin CA, Docherty K. Secretion of bioactive human insulin following plasm id-mediated gene transfer to non-neuroendocrine cell lines, primary cultures and rat skeletal muscle in vivo. European Journal of Endocrinology 2002, 172(3), 653-672.
- Zimmet P, Alberti KGMM, Shaw J. Global and societal implications of the diabetes epidemic. Nature 2001, 414(6865), 782-787.
- Scougall KT, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-regulated secretion of mature human insulin in transfected primary rat myoblasts. In: 37th Annual Meeting of the EASD. 2001, Glasgow, UK: Springer.
- Abraham P, Sati H, Kumar N, Shaw JAM, Middleton M, Culligan D, Watson H, Murray A, Bevan JS. Hyperprolactinaemia is uncommon in patients with Hodgkin’s and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Journal of Endocrinology 2000, 164 Suppl, P35.
- Scougall KT, Maltin CA, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-regulated secretion of human pro/insulin in transfected primary rat myoblasts. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 2000, 50((Suppl 1)), S180.
- Scougall KT, Shaw JAM. Tetracycline-responsive secretion of human proinsulin in transfected fibroblasts. Diabetic Medicine 2000, 17(3) Suppl 1, 4.
- Shaw JAM, Delday MI, Scougall KT, Hart A, Maltin CA, Docherty K. Constitutive secretion of human insulin in growing and mature rats following intramuscular injection of naked plasmid DNA. Journal of Endocrinology 1999, 163 Suppl, OC28.
- Shaw JAM and Docherty KD. Gene Therapy for NIDDM - will it have a role?. Towards Prediction and Prevention of NIDDM 1999.
- Shaw JAM, Docherty K. Gene therapy for type II diabetes: will it have a role?. In: Hitman, G.A, ed. Type II Diabetes: Prediction and Prevention. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 1999, pp.367-381.
- Shaw JAM, Delday MI, Hart A, Docherty HM, Maltin CA, Docherty K. Towards off the shelf gene therapy for diabetes: insulin expression in rats following intramuscular DNA injection. Diabetic Medicine 1999, 16(5, s1), 28.
- Brooks AM, Carter V, Liew A, Marshall H, Aldibbiat A, Sheerin NS, Manas DM, White SA, Shaw JA. De Novo Donor-Specific HLA Antibodies Are Associated With Rapid Loss of Graft Function Following Islet Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes. American Journal of Transplantation 2015.
- Campbell MD, Walker M, Trenell MI, Stevenson EJ, Shaw JA, Luzio S, Dunseath GJ, West DJ. A combined basal-bolus insulin dose reduction strategy for preventing exercise-induced hypoglycaemia does not cause hormonal, metabolic or inflammatory disturbances in Type 1 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Campbell MD, Walker M, Trenell MI, Stevenson EJ, Shaw JA, Bracken RM, Turner D, Gray BJ, West DJ. A novel strategy that prevents early- and late-onset nocturnal hypoglycaemia following evening exercise in Type 1 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Zummo FP, Cullen KS, Lovat PE, Shaw JA, Arden C. An emerging role for autophagy in the regulation of beta cell survival by glucagon-like peptide-1. In: 51st EASD Annual Meeting. 2015, Stockholm, Sweden: Springer.
- Armour SL, Shaw JA, White MG. An in vitro model of beta cell de-differentiation and potential alpha cell reprogramming. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Liew A, Bhattacharya V, Shaw J, Stansby G. Cell Therapy for Critical Limb Ischemia: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Angiology 2015, 1-12.
- White MG, Armour SL, Shaw JA. Limiting human beta cell de-differentiation by small molecule inhibitors of the transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) pathway. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Stevenson EJ, Campbell MD, Gonzalez JT, Walker M, Shaw JA, West DJ. Subjective and hormonal appetite responses to high and low glycaemic index post-exercise meals, under matched insulinaemia and fibre in Type 1 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- West DJ, Campbell MD, Gonzalez JT, Walker M, Stevenson EJ, Ahmed FW, Wijaya S, Shaw JA, Weaver JU. The inflammation, vascular repair and injury responses to exercise in fit males with and without Type 1 diabetes: an observational study. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2015, 14, 71.
- White MG, Shaw JAM. Involvement of Notch signaling in Human Beta-Cell Dedifferentiation. In: American Diabetes Association 74th Scientific Sessions. 2014, San Francisco, CA, USA: Diabetes.