Dr Judith Hall
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8346
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 7424
- Personal Website: http://research.ncl.ac.uk/epithelia/
- Address: Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences
University of Newcastle
Newcastle Upon Tyne
BSc Biochemistry, University of Warwick
PhD University of Newcastle
Society for General Microbiology
Antimicrobial proteins and peptides
In response to infection, vertebrates display a variety of defence mechanisms to counter microbial attack. Innate immunity serves as the first line of defence and includes the synthesis of potent host effector molecules, collectively known as antimicrobial proteins/peptides (AMPs). My group is involved in identifying avian genes encoding AMPs involved in innate immunity, characterising the encoded peptides and investigating the mechanisms by which the encoded proteins/peptides function against human enteropathogens including Salmonella.
Recurrent acute tonsillitis (RAT) is a very common disorder in adults and children. The reasons why only selected individuals are susceptible to recurrent infection remain largely unknown. With collaborators Barry Hirst, Mike Kehoe (ICaMB) and Prof Janet Wilson (ENT Surgery) we are investigating the roles of AMPs in the pathogenesis of RAT.
- Townes CL, Ali A, Gross N, Pal D, Williamson SC, Heer R, Robson CN, Pickard R, Hall J. Prostate specific antigen enhances the innate defence of prostatic epithelium against Escherichia coli infection. The Prostate 2013, 73(14), 1529-1537.
- Lanz ML, Ali A, Townes CL, Pickard R, Hall J. The Dectin-1 Receptor in the Urogenital Tract. In: British Association of Urological Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting. 2013, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Bell S, Howard A, Wilson JA, Abbot EL, Smith WD, Townes CL, Hirst BH, Hall J. Streptococcus pyogenes infection of tonsil explants is associated with a human β-defensin 1 response from control but not recurrent acute tonsillitis patients. Molecular Oral Microbiology 2012, 27(3), 160-171.
- M-Falero BS, Ali ASM, Lanz M, Townes CL, Pickard RS, Hall J. An innate immune response to motile e. coli is exhibited by both bladder and vaginal cells. In: Annual Meeting of the Society of Academic and Research Surgery. 2012, Nottingham, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Gong G, Meplan C, Gautrey H, Hall J, Hesketh JE. Differential effects of selenium and knock-down of glutathione peroxidases on TNF alpha and flagellin inflammatory responses in gut epithelial cells. Genes & Nutrition 2012, 7(2), 167-178.
- Ali ASM, Lanz M, Townes CL, Varley C, Suarez M-Falero B, Robson WA, Southgate J, Brown K, Hilton P, Hall J, Pickard RS. Reduced innate beta-defensin-2 response in the bladder and vaginal epithelia increases suceptibility to flagellated E. coli infection. In: British Association of Urological Surgeons 2012 Annual Scientific Meeting. 2012, Glasgow, UK: BJU International: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Ali ASM, Lanz M, Townes CL, Varley CL, Suarez MFB, Robson WA, Southgate J, Hall J, Pickard RS. Release of the anti-microbial peptide beta-defensin 2 protects against attack by flagellated Escherichia coli in human urothelium. In: 27th Annual Congress of the European Association of Urology. 2012, Paris, France: Elsevier BV.
- Townes CL, Ali A, Lanz M, Gross N, Robson CN, Hall J, Pickard RS. The protective antimicrobial effect of raised prostate specific antigen levels during male urinary tract infection. In: 27th Annual Congress of the European Association of Urology. 2012, Paris, France: Elsevier BV.
- Gautrey H, Nicol F, Sneddon AA, Hall J, Hesketh J. A T/C polymorphism in the GPX4 3 ' UTR affects the selenoprotein expression pattern and cell viability in transfected Caco-2 cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta: General Subjects 2011, 1810(6), 284-291.
- Ali ASM, Townes CL, Lanz M, Hall J, Pickard RS. Estrogen increases expression and secretion of the innate anti-microbial beta-defensin-2 in vaginal epithelium. In: British Journal of Surgery: Annual Meeting of the Society of Academic and Research Surgery. 2011, Dublin, Ireland: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Townes L, Ali A, Robson CN, Hall J, Pickard RS. Prostate specific antigen enhances the anti-microbial activity of SLPI and WFDC2. In: British Journal of Surgery: Annual Meeting of the Society of Academic and Research Surgery. 2011, Dublin, Ireland: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Townes CL, Ali A, Robson W, Pickard R, Hall J. Tolerance of bacteriuria after urinary diversion is linked to antimicrobial Peptide activity. Urology 2011, 77(2), 509.e1-509.e8.
- Howard A, Townes C, Milona P, Nile CJ, Michailidis G, Hall J. Expression and functional analyses of liver expressed antimicrobial peptide-2 (LEAP-2) variant forms in human tissues. Cellular Immunology 2010, 261(2), 128-133.
- Townes CL, Ali A, Hall J, Pickard RS. Antimicrobial Peptides, Urinary Diversion and Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection. European Urology Supplements 2009, 8(4), 229-229.
- Ali ASM, Townes CL, Hall J, Pickard RS. Maintaining a Sterile Urinary Tract: The Role of Antimicrobial Peptides. Journal of Urology 2009, 182(1), 21-28.
- Townes CL, Michailidis G, Hall J. The interaction of the antimicrobial peptide cLEAP-2 and the bacterial membrane. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2009, 387(3), 500-503.
- Ali ASM, Townes CL, Hall J, Pickard RS. Differential expression of the HD5 antimicrobial peptide in the human urinary tract. In: BJU International: Annual Meeting of the British Association of Urological Surgeons. 2008, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Gautrey H, McConnell J, Lako M, Hall J, Hesketh J. Staufen1 is expressed in preimplantation mouse embryos and is required for embryonic stem cell differentiation. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta: Molecular Cell Research 2008, 1783(10), 1935-1942.
- Townes CL, Milona P, Hall J. Characterization of AWAP IV, the C-terminal domain of the avian protein AWAK. In: Conference on Antimicrobial Peptides - Mediators of Innate Immunity in the Development of Anti-Infective, Therapeutic and Vaccination Strategies. 2006, New Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh: Biochemical Society Transactions, Portland Press Ltd.
- Nile CJ, Townes CL, Hirst BH, Hall J. The novel avian protein, AWAK, contains multiple domains with homology to protease inhibitory modules. Molecular Immunology 2006, 43(4), 388-394.
- Michailidis G, Saretzki G, Hall J. Endogenous and ectopic expression of telomere regulating genes in chicken embryonic fibroblasts. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2005, 335(1), 240-246.
- Gautrey H, McConnell J, Hall J, Hesketh J. Polarised distribution of the RNA-binding protein Staufen in differentiated intestinal epithelial cells. FEBS Letters 2005, 579(10), 2226-2230.
- Nile CJ, Townes CL, Michailidis G, Hirst BH, Hall J. Identification of chicken lysozyme g2 and its expression in the intestine. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 2004, 61(21), 2760-2766.
- Townes CL, Michailidis G, Nile CJ, Hall J. Induction of cationic chicken liver-expressed antimicrobial peptide 2 in response to Salmonella enterica infection. Infection and Immunity 2004, 72(12), 6987-6993.
- Wells M, Brown B, Hall J. Pepsinogen C expression in intestinal IEC-6 cells. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry 2003, 13(5), 301-308.
- Fontes CMGA, Ali S, Gilbert HJ, Hazlewood GP, Hirst BH, Hall J. Bacterial xylanase expression in mammalian cells and transgenic mice. Journal of Biotechnology 1999, 72(1-2), 95-101.
- Hall J, Jowsey IR, Wells M, Brown B. Transfection of primary cultures of avian excocrine pancreatic cells with a bacterial endoglucanase gene. In: FASEB Journal. 1999, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.