Dr Ruth Valentine
Deputy Dean of Undergraduate Studies
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8587
- Address: School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I received my first Degree in Food and Human Nutrition from the University of Newcastle in 1999 and a PhD in Molecular Biology in 2002. I believe the combination of these two disciplines represents a powerful approach through which to increase understanding of the relationship between diet and health. I have research interests in nutrient gene interactions with a particular focus on zinc and fluoride.
PhD, BSc, Registered Nutritionist (R.Nutr), Postgraduate Certificate: Academic and Professional Learning,
Lecturer: Molecular Biology. Northumbria University, Division of Biological and Food Science, School of Applied Sciences.
Post Doctoral Research Associate. University of Newcastle. The molecular basis of differential intestinal and placental responses to zinc nutrition.
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
The Nutrition Society
The European Nutrigenomics Organisation (NuGO)
International Society for Zinc Biology (ISZB)
Honours and Awards
2002: First prize awarded for abstract submitted to International Society for Trace Element Research in Humans (ISTERH) VI International Conference ‘Trace element research for a new century’. Quebec city, Canada.
2001: Young Physiologist Symposium Prize awarded for oral communication at the Young Physiologist’s Symposium ‘Membrane and Epithelial Function in Health and Disease’. The Physiological Society
Cellular and Molecular Nutrition.
Member of the Epithelial Research Group (research.ncl.ac.uk/epithelia/index.html)
Human Nutrition Reseach Centre (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/hnrc/)
Centre for Oral Heath Research (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/dental/research/cohr/)
Zinc is an essential component of the diet and plays a role if a vast array of functions in cells and tissues. There is evidence that sub-clinical zinc deficiency may be important with respect to aging, immune function and neonatal health. Zinc can also be toxic if over accumulated. Current projects are investigating the effect of maternal zinc nutrition on tooth zinc content and the role of zinc transporters in pulp tissue.
As a public health measure fluoride is valuable in improving the oral health of communities with its ability to reduce dental caries by almost 50%. However, several recent studies in industrialised and developing countries have shown an increase in the prevalence of dental fluorosis, a condition which causes mottling of the enamel, in both water fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities, which may suggest that the threshold of fluoride exposure for maximising oral health benefit while minimising potential risk of dental fluorosis has been exceeded. Despite the involvement and importance of fluoride in reducing dental caries incidence, the mechanism of fluoride absorption and metabolism remain unclear. Fluoride research is focussing on molecular mechanisms of fluoride transport in the mammalian gastro-intestinal tract.
I am an assessor for the UK Voluntary Register of Nutritionists. In this role I assess portfolios of evidence on behalf of and make recommendations to the Registration Committee about admission to the UK Register of Nutritionists.
Role of Zinc transporters in dental pulp tissue. This work os being carried out through a Joint Doctoral (PhD)Degree Programme with Universitas Indonesia. Nieka Wahono
Genetic variations in Fluoride metabolism. This work is being carried out by a Academic Clinical Fellow (PhD)- Hari Lal
Do distinct epigenetic mechanisms underlie effects of resveratrol and SIRT1 that contribute to healthy ageing? (PhD - Rank Funding) Suzanne Escolme
The contribution of epigenetic modifications of the ZTRE to age-associated changes in the regulation of zinc transporter gene expression. (PhD - MRC-DTG Funding). Joy Hardyman
The contribution of epigenetic processes to sub-optimal metal micronutrient absorption in the ageing gut. (PhD). Ogo Agbor Ogo
Factors associated with the occurrence of Developmental Defects of Enamel and Dental Fluorosis among 4 and 8 year olds in Nigeria (PhD). Olushola Ibiyemi
Investigating the effects of topical neuromodulatory medications on the oral mucosa in vitro . (PhD). Mustafa Al-Musawi.
British Council workshop on Fluoride – harnessing the benefits, mitigating the side effects to be held in Brazil 2014. Organising and running workshop - RA Valentine, A Maguire, V Zohoori, M Buzalaf
Meeting organising committee member for ISZB to be held 2014
Invited to speak at a Rank Mini Symposium on the Transport of Micronutrients in Animals and Plants, held in October 2008
A Maguire (PI), V Zohoori (CoI) and RA Valentine (CoI). Fluoride Research £33,736.41. Borrow Foundation
RA Valentine, D Ford, M Walker, S Campbell. Heterologous expression of ZnT8 allelic variants associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes in an insulin-secreting beta cell line model. £12, 658. Diabetes UK March 2009-August 2009.
RA Valentine. Intracellular trafficking of splice variants of the zinc transporter SLC30A5 in response to zinc. £330 215. BBSRC 2006-2009
RA Valentine. The effect of heteromeric protein complexes of hZTL1 and ZnT5 on zinc transport. £1130. Nuffield Foundation Undergraduate Research Bursary. July 2006
RA Valentine. Development of a non radioactive technique of measuring zinc transport in human cell lines.£25 000. HEFCE Promising Research Fellowship Scheme. September 2005-August 2006
S.Kury et al. Molecular investigation of the pathogenesis of Acrodermatitis Enteropathica. (RA Valentine Co investigator). 8000 Euros. Groupment d’Interet Scientifique (GIS). October 2003 – September 2005
I am the admissions tutor for the BDS Course. I am also the widening participation liaison for the School and organise and run the 'Partners' Assessed Summer School as well as organising and running the Year 9 and Year 12 MaD days.
My major block of teaching is in the first year of BDS, where I am course leader on the Physiology course and teach the Gastrointestinal Tract element of this course. I am also involved in BMS final year project.
- Preshaw PM, Henne K, Taylor JJ, Valentine RA, Conrads G. Age-related changes in immune function (immune senescence) in caries and periodontal diseases: a systematic review. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2017, 44, S153-S177.
- Ibiyemi O, Zohoori FV, Valentine RA, Kometa S, Maguire A. Prevalence and extent of enamel defects in the permanent teeth of 8-year-old Nigerian children. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2017, e-pub ahead of print.
- Al-Musawi M, Durham J, Whitworth JM, Stone SJ, Nixdorf DR, Valentine RA. Effect of topical neuromodulatory medications on oral and skin keratinocytes. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Gallager N, Mall D, Cotterill S, Valentine R. Facilitating engagement and interaction in teamwork: an online tool. MedEdPublish 2016, 2(5), 11-14.
- Hardyman J, Tyson J, Jackson K, Aldridge C, Cockell S, Wakeling L, Valentine RA, Ford D. Zinc sensing by metal-responsive transcription factor 1 (MTF1) controls metallothionein and ZnT1 expression to buffer the sensitivity of the transcriptome response to zinc. Metallomics 2016, 8(3), 337-343.
- Al-Musawi MJ, Durham J, Whitworth JM, Stone SJ, Valentine RA. In Vitro Effects of Topical Neuromodulatory Medication on Orofacial Tissue. In: IADR/AADR/CADR 93rd General Session and Exhibition 2015. 2015, Boston, MA, USA.
- Ogo OA, Tyson J, Cockell SJ, Howard A, Valentine RA, Ford D. The zinc finger protein ZNF658 regulates the transcription of genes involved in zinc homeostasis and affects ribosome biogenesis through the zinc transcriptional regulatory element (ZTRE). Molecular and Cell Biology 2015, 35(6), 977-987.
- Nunez CMC, Bosomworth HJ, Field C, Whitworth JM, Valentine RA. Biodentine and Mineral Trioxide Aggregate Induce Similar Cellular Responses in a Fibroblast Cell Line. Journal of Endodontics 2014, 40(3), 406-411.
- Lal H, Zohoori FV, Omid N, Valentine R, Maguire A. The fluoride contents of commercially-available soya milks in the UK. British Dental Journal 2014, 217(4), E8.
- Mathers JC, Hill TR, Foster E, Adamson AJ, Valentine R, Rugg-Gunn AJ. Twenty years of research in the Human Nutrition Research Centre, Newcastle University, 1994-2014. Nutrition Bulletin 2014, 39(3), 266-275.
- Bosomworth HJ, Adlard PA, Ford D, Valentine RA. Altered Expression of ZnT10 in Alzheimer's Disease Brain. PLoS One 2013, 8(5), e65475.
- Hardyman JEJ, Ogo OA, Tyson J, Wakeling LA, Valentine RA, Ford D. DNA methylation of the zinc transcriptional regulatory element and its potential contribution to zinc dyshomeostasis in ageing. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Ions LJ, Wakeling LA, Bosomworth HJ, Hardyman JEJ, Escolme SM, Swan DC, Valentine RA, Mathers JC, Ford D. Effects of Sirt1 on DNA methylation and expression of genes affected by dietary restriction. Age 2013, 35(5), 1835-1849.
- Dang TS, Walker M, Ford D, Valentine R. Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics; the role of nutrition in gene expression. Periodontology 2000 2013. In Press.
- Bosomworth HJ, Thornton JK, Coneyworth LJ, Ford D, Valentine RA. Efflux function, tissue-specific expression and intracellular trafficking of the Zn transporter ZnT10 indicate roles in adult Zn homeostasis. Metallomics 2012, 4(8), 771-779.
- Coneyworth LJ, Jackson KA, Tyson J, Bosomworth HJ, vanderHagen E, Hann GM, Ogo OA, Swann DC, Mathers JC, Valentine RA, Ford D. Identification of the human zinc transcriptional regulatory element (ZTRE): a palindromic protein-binding DNA sequence responsible for zinc-induced transcriptional repression. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2012, 287(43), 36567-36581.
- Thornton JK, Taylor KM, Ford D, Valentine RA. Differential Subcellular Localization of the Splice Variants of the Zinc Transporter ZnT5 Is Dictated by the Different C-Terminal Regions. PLoS One 2011, 6(8), e23878.
- Davison G, Mathers JC, Ford D, Valentine RA. [Meeting Abstract] Effects of Dietary Zinc Supply During Pregnancy on Global DNA Methylation. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 2009, 55(s1), 461.
- Jakubovics NS, Valentine RA. A new direction for manganese homeostasis in bacteria: identification of a novel efflux system in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Molecular Microbiology 2009, 72(1), 1-4.
- Jackson KA, Valentine RA, Mckay JA, Swan DC, Mathers JC, Ford D. Analysis of differential gene-regulatory responses to zinc in human intestinal and placental cell lines. British Journal of Nutrition 2009, 101(10), 1474-1483.
- Jackson KA, Valentine RA, Coneyworth LJ, Mathers JC, Ford D. Mechanisms of mammalian zinc-regulated gene expression. Biochemical Society Transactions 2008, 36(6), 1262-1266.
- Valentine RA, Jackson KA, Christie GR, Mathers JC, Taylor PM, Ford D. ZnT5 variant B is a bidirectional zinc transporter and mediates zinc uptake in human intestinal Caco-2 cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2007, 282(19), 14389-14393.
- Valentine RA, Ford D. Epithelial transport mechanisms involved in zinc nutrition. Nutrition Abstracts and Reviews Series A: Human and Experimental 2005, 75(6), 15N-24N.
- Cragg RA, Phillips SR, Piper JM, Varma JS, Campbell FC, Mathers JC, Ford D. Homeostatic regulation of zinc transporters in the human small intestine by dietary zinc supplementation. Gut 2005, 54(4), 469-478.
- Cragg RA, Christie GR, Phillips SR, Russi RM, Kury S, Mathers JC, Taylor PM, Ford D. A novel zinc-regulated human zinc transporter, hZTL1, is localized to the enterocyte apical membrane. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2002, 277(25), 22789-22797.
- Moat SJ, Bonham JR, Cragg RA, Powers HJ. Elevated plasma homocysteine elicits an increase in antioxidant enzyme activity. Free Radical Research 2000, 32(2), 171-179.