Dr Yulia Yuzenkova
Royal Society University Research Fellow
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3225
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 7424
- Address: The Centre for Bacterial Cell Biology
Medical Science New Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am interested in the process of prokaryotic transcription and its regulation. Apart from classic model organism, E.coli, I work with different species, including pathogenic bacteria and cyanobacteria, which is important to get generalised knowledge and might potentially benefit medicine and biotechnology. I am focusing on several areas of research:
Metal cofactors of RNA polymerase. Metal composition of RNA polymerase (RNAP) is known to profoundly influence fidelity of transcription and RNAP assembly. I am interested to know which metal cofactors RNAP uses in vivo depending on growth conditions and stresses.
Transcription machinery of cyanobacteria. Cyanobacteria is one of the most ancient and ecologically important groups of organisms on Earth, which produce 30% of atmospheric oxygen and convert inert air nitrogen to digestible forms. Yet, surprisingly little is known about gene expression in cyanobacteria; and few known facts bring more questions than answers. Apparently, cyanobacteria totally lack regulators, essential in other bacteria to coordinate transcription with other cellular processes, such as translation and replication. Which features of cyanobacterial minimal transcription machinery compensate for the absence of factors? Alternatively, this machinery may not be as stripped down as it seems, and cyanobacteria use yet unknown factors.
RNA trafficking in living bacterial cells. I would like to visualise the process of RNA synthesis and distribution in bacteria, using novel fluorescent-RNA technique. Of particular interest is RNA trafficking in highly organised (with thylakoids arranged like onion skins) cytoplasm of cyanobacteria.
- Julius C, Yuzenkova Y. Bacterial RNA polymerase caps RNA with various cofactors and cell wall precursors. Nucleic Acids Research 2017, ePub ahead of print.
- Forrest D, James K, Yuzenkova Y, Zenkin N. Single-peptide DNA-dependent RNA polymerase homologous to multi-subunit RNA polymerase. Nature Communications 2017, 8, 15774.
- Roghanian M, Zenkin N, Yuzenkova Y. Bacterial global regulators DksA/ppGpp increase fidelity of transcription. Nucleic Acids Research 2015, 43(3), 1529-1536.
- Zenkin N, Severinov K, Yuzenkova Y. Bacteriophage Xp10 anti-termination factor p7 induces forward translocation by host RNA polymerase. Nucleic Acids Research 2015, 43(13), 6299-6308.
- Zenkin N, Yuzenkova Y. New Insights into the Functions of Transcription Factors that Bind the RNA Polymerase Secondary Channel. Biomolecules 2015, 25(3), 1195-1209.
- van Nues RW, Castro-Roa D, Yuzenkova Y, Zenkin N. Ribonucleoprotein particles of bacterial small non-coding RNA IsrA (IS61 or McaS) and its interaction with RNA polymerase core may link transcription to mRNA fate. Nucleic Acids Research 2015, epub ahead of print.
- Zorov S, Yuzenkova Y, Nikiforov V, Severinov K, Zenkin N. Antibiotic streptolydigin requires non-catalytic Mg2+ for binding to RNA polymerase. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2014, 58(3), 1420-1424.
- Yuzenkova Y, Gamba P, Herber M, Attaiech L, Shafeeq S, Kuipers OP, Klumpp S, Zenkin N, Veening JW. Control of transcription elongation by GreA determines rate of gene expression in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Nucleic Acids Research 2014, 42(17), 10987-10999.
- Sustarsic M, Plochowietz A, Aigrain L, Yuzenkova Y, Zenkin N, Kapanidis A. Optimized delivery of fluorescently labeled proteins in live bacteria using electroporation. Histochemistry and Cell Biology 2014, 142(1), 113-124.
- Nielsen S, Yuzenkova Y, Zenkin N. Mechanism of Eukaryotic RNA Polymerase III Transcription Termination. Science 2013, 340(6140), 1577-1580.
- Yuzenkova Y, Roghanian M, Bochkareva A, Zenkin N. Tagetitoxin inhibits transcription by stabilizing pre-translocated state of the elongation complex. Nucleic Acids Research 2013, 41(20), 9257-9265.
- Bochkareva A, Yuzenkova Y, Tadigotla VR, Zenkin N. Factor-independent transcription pausing caused by recognition of the RNA-DNA hybrid sequence. EMBO Journal 2012, 31(3), 630-639.
- Yuzenkova Y, Roghanian M, Zenkin N. Multiple active centers of multi-subunit RNA polymerases. Transcription 2012, 3, 115-118.
- Yuzenkova Y, Tadigotla VR, Severinov K, Zenkin N. A new basal promoter element recognized by RNA polymerase core enzyme. EMBO Journal 2011, 30(18), 3766-3775.
- Roghanian M, Yuzenkova Y, Zenkin N. Controlled interplay between trigger loop and Gre factor in the RNA polymerase active centre. Nucleic Acids Research 2011, 39(10), 4352-4359.
- Yuzenkova Y, Zenkin N. Central role of the RNA polymerase trigger loop in intrinsic RNA hydrolysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2010, 107(24), 10878-10883.
- Yuzenkova Y, Bochkareva A, Tadigotla VR, Roghanian M, Zorov S, Severinov K, Zenkin N. Stepwise mechanism for transcription fidelity. BMC Biology 2010, 8(1), 54.
- Yuzenkova Y, Zenkin N, Severinov K. Mapping of RNA Polymerase Residues that Interact with Bacteriophage Xp10 Transcription Antitermination Factor p7. Journal of Molecular Biology 2008, 375(1), 29-35.
- Zenkin N, Kulbachinskiy A, Yuzenkova Y, Mustaev A, Bass I, Severinov K, Brodolin K. Region 1.2 of the RNA polymerase sigma subunit controls recognition of the -10 promoter element. EMBO Journal 2007, 26(4), 955-964.
- deCristóbal RE, Solbiati JO, Zenoff AM, Vincent PA, Salomón RA, Yuzenkova J, Severinov K, Farías RN. Microcin J25 uptake: His5 of the MccJ25 lariat ring is involved in interaction with the inner membrane MccJ25 transporter protein SbmA. J Bacteriol 2006, 188(9):3324-8.
- Zenkin N, Yuzenkova Y, Severinov K. Transcript-Assisted Transcriptional Proofreading. Science 2006, 313(5786), 518-520.
- Semenova E, Yuzenkova Y, Peduzzi J, Rebuffat S, Severinov K. Structure-activity analysis of microcinJ25: distinct parts of the threaded lasso molecule are responsible for interaction with bacterial RNA polymerase. J Bacteriol 2005, 187(11):3859-63.
- Adelman K, Yuzenkova J, LaPorta A, Zenkin N, Lee J, Lis JT, Borukhov S, Wang MD, Severinov K. Molecular mechanism of transcription inhibition by peptide antibiotic Microcin J25. Mol Cell 2004, 14, 753-62.
- Yuzenkova J, Nechaev S, Berlin J, Rogulja D, Kuznedelov K, Inman R, Mushegian A, Severinov K. Genome of Xanthomonas oryzae bacteriophage Xp10: an odd T-odd phage. J Mol Biol 2003, 330(4):735-48.
- Wilson KA, Kalkum M, Ottesen J, Yuzenkova J, Chait BT, Landick R, Muir T, Severinov K, Darst SA. Structure of microcin J25, a peptide inhibitor of bacterial RNA polymerase, is a lassoed tail. J Am Chem Soc 2003, 125(41):12475-83.
- Nechaev S, Yuzenkova Y, Niedziela-Majka A, Heyduk T, Severinov K. A novel bacteriophage-encoded RNA polymerase binding protein inhibits transcription initiation and abolishes transcription termination by host RNA polymerase. J Mol Biol 2002.
- Yuzenkova J, Delgado M, Nechaev S, Savalia D, Epshtein V, Artsimovitch I, Mooney RA, Landick R, Farias RN, Salomon R, Severinov K. Mutations of bacterial RNA polymerase leading to resistance to microcin j25. J Biol Chem 2002, 277(52):50867-75.