Finding a part-time job

Finding a part-time job

Part-time work not only helps you earn extra money while you’re studying, it’s also a great way to gain work experience, develop valuable skills and meet new people.

Many students work part-time in shops, bars, restaurants and call centres – these jobs are generally the easiest to find and fit round your studies. It’s also possible to find a part-time job related to your degree course, for example, healthcare, marketing or web design.

Lots of students seek part-time work in the city centre, so think about extending your search. Outside Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, South Tyneside and North Tyneside are all accessible by bus and metro.

Key Resources


In this section:


Where to look for part-time work

Part-time jobs
Holiday/seasonal jobs
On campus

JobsOC (Jobs On Campus) offers temporary and casual paid work within the University to current students at the Newcastle campus. Roles may include clerical support, cleaning, events and hospitality. Recruitment takes place at several points during the year and is advertised on the University's vacancies portal. Work is offered on a casual basis and regular hours are not guaranteed each week.

There are other opportunities to work on campus throughout the academic year, for example, library aide, student ambassador and visit day guide. Search Vacancies Online using 'Newcastle University' as a keyword.

You can also often find job opportunities advertised on School notice boards or on the University's vacancies portal.

Speculative applications

You can also approach employers directly, even when they aren't advertising a vacancy, by sending or handing in a copy of your CV and covering letter. This is particularly useful when looking for retail, bar or restaurant work.

It’s worth following up a speculative application with a phone call or visit a few days afterwards to show you are still interested in the position.

Recruitment agencies

Recruitment agencies can be a useful source of part-time or temporary work. See Recruitment agencies for information and tips on using an agency.


You can find links to further regional and national publications in Newspapers and magazines.

 Recruitment fairs

The Careers Service organises a part-time jobs fair at the start of each academic year, with a range of employers including caterers, event management companies, healthcare, retail stores and hospitality recruiters. See Events for details of the next fair.


How much will I be paid?

How much you will be paid depends on your age and the type of work and employer. However, legally all employers must pay their employees at least the National Minimum Wage (NMW).

The current NMW rates (from 1 October 2015) are:

  • £6.70 per hour for workers aged 21
  • £5.30 per hour for workers aged 18-20


How to apply

The employer will tell you how to apply on the job advert. The usual methods are submitting a CV and covering letter or completing an application form, or they may ask you to telephone to apply.

It’s important to tailor your application to the job, so read the job description carefully and try to show evidence of relevant skills and competences, as well as any specific requirements mentioned by the employer. Examples for this could come from your academic background, previous work experience, extracurricular activities or hobbies and interests.

You can find more information on how to write CVs, covering letters and application forms in Making applications. This section also includes example CVs and tips on interview techniques.

You can get feedback on your CV, covering letter or application form from the Careers Service.


Identifying fake or scam jobs

We're often asked how to tell whether a job advert is a scam or for a real job. It can be hard sometimes to tell the difference, however, there are typical warning signs.

Here are some guidelines to help you identify these.


Need experience to find a job?

If you are finding it difficult to find a paid part-time job because you don't have enough work experience, Passport to Work can help. Passport to Work gives you the opportunity to gain unpaid work experience and work shadowing in hospitality, catering, customer service and housekeeping. You’ll get a certificate outlining the experience you’ve gained which you can show to employers when you’re looking for work.

To gain valuable skills and experience, you may also want to consider volunteering. You won’t get paid, but you will be gaining practical work experience and making yourself more employable. See Volunteering for more details.

If you're interested in finding work experience related to your degree, visit Work experience for information on internships, placements and the Newcastle Work Experience (NWE) programme.


Working as self-employed

If you are working on a self-employed basis, you need to register with HM Revenue and Customs within three months of starting your business, or you could pay a penalty.

You will pay tax on profit you make in excess of your personal allowance. You will normally be sent a Self Assessment tax return each year to enable you to do this. You may also have to pay National Insurance contributions. You may also need to register for VAT (although for a student in full-time education, this is very unlikely).

Because personal allowances are for all your income added together, you may find your income goes over the personal allowance if you have your own business and are also employed by someone else.

Students from outside the EU who are here in the UK on a student visa are not allowed to work on a self-employed basis.

For more information on self-employment, visit:

(Information from Newcastle University Student Financial Support Team)


Information for international students

For advice on working in the UK during your studies, including information on employment rights and how to apply for a National Insurance number, visit International students


Need more help?

Top ^