Identify study options and get advice on applications and funding.
Undertaking further study can involve a significant commitment of time and finance. It's important to think about what is motivating your interest before pursuing a Master's, PhD or other course of study.
There are many positive reasons behind the decision to pursue further study, including:
- to pursue your interest in a particular subject
- to improve your career prospects or change career direction
- as a requirement for a particular career - medicine, law, teaching
- a desire to work in academia
- to develop a new skill or for personal enjoyment or satisfaction
If you are considering further study for any of the following reasons, you might need to consider your decision more thoroughly:
- feeling unready for a job - will you feel ready after further study?
- because your tutor/parents recommend it - you have to complete the course
- to extend student life - life as a postgraduate is more demanding
Finding and choosing your course
You'll need to carry out research before applying. Find out how to choose your course and select the right study option for you.
Search for courses in your chosen study area using finding courses.
Once you've decided on the course you want to study you'll need to make an application for further study.
Funding your studies
Further study can offer the path to the future you want, but one large obstacle may be standing in the way - money. Find information for funding your studies.
Applying for medical school or teacher training
International students and further study in the UK
Non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals wishing to undertake UK-based postgraduate study must apply to the Home Office to extend their 'leave to remain' in the UK. For further information, see UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).
For international students, in addition to the resources on these pages, the following offer advice on finding courses, making applications and funding:
Who you can talk to
Making decisions isn't easy, so you might want to consider talking things through with the following people:
- Postgraduate Study at Newcastle University - pick up a prospectus on campus or request online
- International Case Studies (video) - includes further study section
- Journey to Work (video) - students prepare for life after university - log in to access off campus
- Should I do a Phd (PDF: 198KB) - focuses on using career decision-making approaches to assess and prepare for a PhD