Dr Rachael Lawson
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1277
- Address: Clinical Ageing Research Unit
Institute of Neuroscience
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
Newcastle upon Tyne
Research Associate working on the ICICLE-PD (Incidence of Cognitive Impairment in Cohorts with Longitudinal Evaluation in Parkinson's Disease) study
Co-investigator on the "Structural Retinal Changes: A biomarker for dementia in Parkinson's disease?" study
Chief Investigator on the DETERMINE-PD (Identifying delirium in people with Parkinson’s disease) study.
PhD, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, 2016
MSc, Health Psychology, University of Nottingham, 2008
BSc, Joint Honours Mathematics and Psychology, 2007
British Psychological Society
International and Parkinson Movement Disorders Society
Dementias and Neurodegenerative Diseases (DemaNDs) Research Group
ResearchI am a post-doctoral researcher. My background is in psychology and my research focus has been in patients with Parkinson’s disease over the last nine years. I have successfully coordinated and managed the research studies I have worked on, which included longitudinal studies with large numbers of participants. I have an interest in mathematics and statistics, which I am keen to develop and have undertaken additional training in advanced statistics to analyse complex, longitudinal data. My work has given valuable insight into both patients’ and clinicians’ experience of Parkinson’s disease; I am passionate in research that will ultimately improve the care and quality of life of people with Parkinson’s disease.
Teaching and supervision
Jan 2017 – present MRes Supervisor for Neuroscience and Medical Science, Newcastle University. Two previous students both awarded Distinctions; three current students.
Oct 2015 - present Undergraduate teaching and essay supervisors for PSY1001: Psychological Enquiry, BSc Psychology, Newcastle University.
Mar 2013- present “An Introduction to Qualitative Methods”, Critical Appraisal Module, The Northern Deanery MRCPsych course. Module leader: Dr Sumeet Gupta.
- Lawson RA, Collerton D, Taylor JP, Burn DJ, Brittain KR. Coping with cognitive impairment and Parkinson’s disease: perspectives from patients and carers. Parkinson's Disease 2018, 1362053.
- Minett T, Su L, Mak E, Williams G, Firbank M, Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Owen AM, Khoo TK, Brooks DJ, Rowe JB, Barker RA, Burn D, O'Brien JT. Longitudinal diffusion tensor imaging changes in early Parkinson’s disease: ICICLE-PD study. Journal of Neurology 2018. In Press.
- Dissanayaka NNW, Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Breen DP, Khoo TK, Barker RA, Burn DJ. Anxiety is associated with cognitive impairment in newly-diagnosed Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism & Related Disorders 2017, 36, 63–68.
- Morris R, Lord S, Lawson RA, Coleman S, Galna B, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Yarnall AJ, Burn DJ, Rochester L. Gait Rather Than Cognition Predicts Decline in Specific Cognitive Domains in Early Parkinson’s Disease. Journal of Gerontology Series A 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Peraza LR, Nesbitt D, Lawson RA, Duncan GW, Yarnall AJ, Khoo TK, Kaiser M, Firbank MJ, O'Brien JT, Barker RA, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ, Taylor JP. Intra- and inter-network functional alterations in Parkinson's disease with mild cognitive impairment. Human Brain Mapping 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Mak E, Su L, Williams GB, Firbank MJ, Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Mollenhauer B, Owen AM, Khoo TK, Brooks DJ, Rowe JB, Barker RA, Burn DJ, O'Brien JT. Longitudinal whole-brain atrophy and ventricular enlargement in nondemented Parkinson's disease. Neurobiology of Aging 2017, 55, 78-90.
- O'Dowd S, Galna B, Morris R, Lawson RA, McDonald C, Yarnall AJ, Burn DJ, Rochester L, Anderson KN. Poor Sleep Quality and Progression of Gait Impairment in an Incident Parkinson’s Disease Cohort. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Stuart S, Alcock L, Nell J, Lawson RA, Morris R, Yarnall AJ, Burn D, Rochester L. Pro-saccades predict decline in attention over 18 months in newly diagnosed Parkinson’s disease. In: 21st International Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders. 2017, Vancouver, BC, Canada: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Breen DP, Khoo TK, Williams-Gray CH, Barker RA, Burn DJ. Stability of mild cognitive impairment in newly diagnosed Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Sleeman I, Aspray T, Lawson RA, Coleman S, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Schoenmakers I, Barker R, Rochester R, Burn DJ, Yarnall AJ. The Role of Vitamin D in Disease Progression in Early Parkinson’s Disease. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 2017, 7(4), 669-675.
- Firbank MJ, Yarnall AJ, Lawson RA, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Petrides GS, O'Brien JT, Barker RA, Maxwell RJ, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ. Cerebral glucose metabolism and cognition in newly diagnosed Parkinson’s disease: ICICLE-PD study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry 2016, (ePub ahead of print).
- Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Breen DP, Williams-Gray CH, Barker RA, Collerton D, Taylor JP, Burn DJ. Cognitive decline and quality of life in incident Parkinson’s disease: the role of attention. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders 2016, 27, 47-53.
- Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Johnston F, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Collerton D, Taylor JP, Burn DJ, on behalf of the ICICLE-PD study group. Cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease: impact on quality of life carers. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Peraza LR, Lawson RA, Firbank JM, Yarnall A, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Brooks D, O'Brien JT, Barker RA, Burn D, Taylor JP. Principal component discriminant analysis of mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson’s disease reveals early functional changes in the resting state. In: Neuroinformatics 2016 INCF Conference. 2016, Reading, UK: Frontiers Media S.A.
- Williams-Gray CH, Wijeyekoon R, Yarnall AJ, Lawson RA, Breen DP, Evans JR, Cummings GA, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Burn DJ, Barker RA, on behalf of the ICICLE-PD study group. Serum immune markers and disease progression in an incident Parkinson's disease cohort (ICICLE-PD). Movement Disorders 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- McDonald C, Lawson RA, Duncan GW, O'Dowd ST, Khoo TK, Yarnall AJ, Burn DJ. The Frequency and Progression of Genitourinary and Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Parkinson’s disease and Healthy Controls Over 36 months Follow-up in the ICICLE-PD Study. In: Parkinson’s UK Research Conference. 2016, Leeds.
- Yarnall AJ, Lawson RA, Duncan GW, Breen DP, Khoo TK, Brooks D, Barker RA, Taylor JP, Burn DJ. Anticholinergic Load: Is there a Cognitive Cost in Early Parkinson's Disease?. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 2015, 5(4), 743-743.
- Mak E, Su L, Williams G, Lawson R, Yarnall A, Gordon D, Adrian O, Tien K, Brooks D, Rowe J, Barker R, Burn D, O'Brien J. Baseline and longitudinal grey matter changes in newly diagnosed Parkinson's disease: ICICLE-PD study. In: 17th IPA International. 2015, Berlin, Germany: Cambridge University Press.
- Nesbitt D, Peraza LR, Lawson R, Yarnall A, Firbank M, Taylor J-P, Burn D. fMRI resting state connectivity in Parkinson's with mild cognitive impairment. In: Parkinson's UK Research Conference. 2014, York, UK.
- Gray R, Ives N, Rick C, Patel S, Gray A, Jenkinson C, McIntosh E, Wheatley K, Williams A, Clarke CE, Sandercock P, Baigent C, Crome P, Williams A, Abbott R, Baker M, Castleton B, Clarke CE, Counsell C, Deb AK, Fairweather S, Fitzpatrick R, Gray A, Ives N, Jenkinson C, MacPhee G, Malone T, Mant D, McIntosh E, Ming A, Morrish P, Ohri P, Pearce V, Wood B, Worth P, Au P, Boodell T, Cheed V, Clarke CE, Daniels J, Dowling F, Edmondson A, Gray R, Hawker R, Herd C, Hilken N, Ives N, Kaur S, Ottridge R, Patel S, Peto L, Rick C, Sidile C, Tomlinson C, Tyler E, Wheatley K, Winkles N, Gray A, McIntosh E, Kent S, Fitzpatrick R, Jenkinson C, Caie L, Caslake R, Coleman R, Counsell C, Crowley P, Gerrie L, Gordon J, Harris C, Leslie V, Macleod MA, Taylor K, Barker R, Forsyth D, Halls M, Lennox G, Young J, Azie E, Barrett J, Monaghan A, Turnbull C, Vanek H, Blake D, Manford M, Thangarajah N, Johnson M, Wallis P, Carr P, Cochrane L, Prescott R, Rose A, Drover M, Karunaratne P, McLaren A, Jones E, Nasar M, Bayliss M, Jones AP, Lewis B, Dunn A, Eckley M, Price J, Woodman G, Forsyth D, Halls M, Young J, Aldridge G, Bhuvanendran N, Lewis S, Mann C, Patel K, Ghaus N, Grueger A, Mallinson B, Wihl G, Ballantyne S, Clarke CE, Coyle S, Hornabrook R, Hutchinson S, Irfan H, Lewthwaite A, Nicholl D, Poxon S, Ritch A, Davison J, Dodds S, Gray C, Nath U, Robinson G, Deb A, Aftab N, Read D, Villanueva L, Alderton L, Carr P, Cochrane L, Prescott R, Rose A, Burrows E, Fletcher P, Folkes E, Gilbert A, Hayes H, Morrow P, Silva M, Baxter G, Bell J, Gorman J, Lawrence J, Rhind G, Hindle J, Jones J, Ohri P, Parry M, Roberts E, Subashchandran R, Pycock C, Aspden L, Partington-Jones L, Raw J, Vanek H, Wadhwa U, Barber R, Haywood B, Heywood P, Lewis H, O'Sullivan K, Prout K, Whelan L, Whone A, Fletcher P, Folkes E, Fuller G, Medcalf P, Morrish P, Silva M, Aruldoss P, Farmery J, Liveley K, Shelbourn K, Sood V, Bouifraden K, Dalziel J, Evans C, Matheson P, Overstall P, Wales E, Ward G, Ponsford J, Graham IA, Grimmer SFM, Lockington TJ, Sheehan LJ, Williams H, Fuller J, Harrison P, Roche M, Shields S, Glasspool R, Hubbard I, Walters R, Barraclough C, McClung A, Moseley L, Pathirana CK, Abbott R, Critchley P, Wray LG, Kendall B, Lawden M, Lo N, Martey J, Rajabally Y, Simpson B, Abbott R, Critchley P, Kendall B, Lawden M, Martey J, Rajabally Y, Hindle J, Ohri P, Gale A, Phiri D, Sekaran L, Sharma A, Wijayasiri S, Fleary H, Monaghan A, Silverdale M, Vanek H, Walker D, McGee M, Senthil V, Reynolds S, Arnould D, Chong S, Diem D, Kundu B, Quinn N, Benamer H, Billings J, Corston R, D'Costa D, Green M, Shuri J, Cassidy T, Dodds S, Gani A, Lawson R, Noble J, Chan Y, Clipsham K, Cochius J, Dick D, Hipperson M, Lee M, Payne B, Reading F, Roche M, Sabanathan K, Shields S, Worth P, Harper G, Honan W, Oxborough L, Saunders J, Stanley J, McCann P, Edmonds P, Hand A, O'Hanlon S, Robinson L, Walker R, Bolam D, Liddle B, Ballantyne SL, Byravan R, Jones P, Guptha S, Noble C, Roychowdhury S, Ellis C, Harries -Jones R, Hillier C, Milligan N, Potter J, Ebenezer L, Raha S, Thompson S, Benamer H, Crouch R, Healy K, Hornabrook R, Johnson M, Nicholl D, Pall H, Praamstra P, Williams A, Beaumont D, Ell S, McGourty J, Jenkinson M, McHenry M, Scoble N, Vahid R, Findley L, Misbahuddin A, Adcock J, Chatterjee A, Collins H, Fairweather S, Flossman E, Greenhall R, Hart H, Shaw J, Singh S, Talbot K, Thompson S, Weir A, Gray D, Sood V, Sutherland S, Wilson M, Hughes T, Jones A, Morgan L, Sastry B, Abdel-Hafiz A, Al-Modaris F, Dutta S, Mallik T, Mondal B, Roberts J, Sinha S, Amar K, Atkins S, Devadason G, Martin A, Thompson C, Fenwick G, Gormley K, Gutowski N, Harris S, Harrower T, Hemsley A, Honan W, James M, Jeffreys O, Malone T, Pearce V, Sheridan R, Soper C, Sword J, Zeman A, Gordon C, McElwaine T, Pressly V, Chan D, Saha R, Howcroft D, Mugweni K, Robertson D, Stephens A, Whelan E, Wright A, Blane N, Burns S, Mutch W, Roberts R, Chikna E, Chamberlain J, Lee J, Marigold J, Adams J, Dulay J, Evans S, Frankel J, Garrard P, Gibb W, Gove R, Holmes C, Lawton N, Malik N, McElwaine T, Morgan S, Phipps H, Pressly V, Queen V, Roberts H, Tan R, Turner G, Weller R, Zaman S, O'Brien A, Grosset D, MacPhee G, McGonigal A, Vennard C, Rektorova I, Carey G, Castleton B, Dhakam Z, Kalcantera E, Long C, Mandal B, Martin V, Nari R, Nicholas V, Sunderland C, Franks S, Hammans S, Moffitt V, Rice-Oxley M, Elizabeth J, Logan A, Summers B, Cooper S, Darch W, Homan J, Hussain M, Sharratt D, Solanki T, Bennett J, Vassallo J, Ford A, Kendall G, Stocker K, Chaudhry A, Grubneac A, Kenton A, Lindahl A, Lismore J, McConville M, Peskett R, Ponsford J, Shehu A, Strens L, Hughes T, Sastry B, Barrett J, Turnbull C, Vanek H, Moore A, O'Brien I, Watling D, Wyatt L, Jones C, Mahan T, Ullyart K, Wood B, Desai H, Ferry P, Grubneac A, Ponsford J, Ray P, Rose P, Shehu A, Thanvi B, Waters S, Rizvi S, Sa'Adu A, Walker E, Berry G, Russell N, Lennox G, Ward T, Abrams J, Ashley S, Steiger M, Beal A, Hawkins J, Heller A, Jenkinson M, McHenry M, Samuel M, Scoble N, Vahid R, Caie L, Leslie V, Primrose W, Baker K, Buckley C, Bulley S, Gibbons D, Goodland R, Heywood P, Jones L, Martin L, Qadiri MR, Rashed K, Rowland -Axe R, Stone A, Whittuck M. Long-term effectiveness of dopamine agonists and monoamine oxidase B inhibitors compared with levodopa as initial treatment for Parkinson's disease (PD MED): A large, open-label, pragmatic randomised trial. The Lancet 2014, 384(9949), 1196-1205.
- Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Breen DP, Barker RA, Collerton D, Taylor JP, Burn DJ. Quality of Life and Mild Cognitive Impairment in Early Parkinson's Disease: Does Subtype Matter?. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 2014, 4(3), 331-336.
- Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Breen DP, Barker RA, Collerton D, Taylor JP, Burn DJ. Severity of mild cognitive impairment in early Parkinson's disease contributes to poorer quality of life. Parkinsonism & Related Disorders 2014, 20(10), 1071-1075.
- Lawson RA, Millar D, Brown RG, Burn DJ. Guided Self-Help for the Management of Worry in Parkinson's Disease: A Pilot Study. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 2013, 3(1), 61-68.