Plenary addresses and keynote papers
1. G. Akay, Rotating double-disk reactors for process intensification, The 3rd International Workshop on High Gravity Technology and Process Intensification, 3-4 November, 2005, Beijing University of Chemical Technology, China.
2. G. Akay, Bioprocess and Chemical Process Intensification and Miniaturization: Applications in biomass based green energy technology. International Workshop on Micro/Nano Scale Thermal /Fluids Engineering for Biotechnology and Energy Conversion Applications, The 21 Century Centre of Excellence Programme, The University of Tokyo, Japan, 22 April 2005.
3. G. Akay, Size dependent transport phenomena in micro-porous media and its application to the preparation of nano-structured metals with arterial micro-pores, 6Th World Conference on Experimental Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, 17-21 April, 2005, Matsushima, Japan.
4. M. Dogru, G. Akay, A. Midilli, O.F. Calkan and C.R. Howarth, Gasification of biomass as a source of hydrogen rich syngas production, International Hydrogen Energy Congress and Exhibition, 13-15 July 2005, Istanbul, Turkey.
5. G. Akay, Development of nano-structured micro-porous materials and their application in bioprocess and chemical process intensification. Symposium on: New Trends in Chemical Engineering, University of Salamanca, Spain, 21-25 February 2004.
6. G. Akay, Z.Z. Noor and M. Dogru, Intensification of water-in-crude oil emulsions bysimultaneous application of electric field and novel polymeric demulsifiers, 1st International Symposium on Process Intensification and Miniaturizatrion, 18-21 August 2003, Newcastle University, UK.
7. G. Akay, Integrated-intensified biomass based energy technology, International Workshop on New and Renewable Energy, Newcastle University, 18 August 2003, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
8. G. Akay, M. Dogru, B. Calkan and O.F. Calkan, Flow induced Phase Inversion phenomenon in process intensification and microreactor technology. 226th American Chemical Society National Meeting, 7-11 September 2003, New York, USA.
9. G. Akay, Z.Z. Noor and M. Dogru, Process intensification in separation processes, 4th European Congress of Chemical Engineering, 21-25 September 2003, Granada, Spain.
10. M. Bokhari, M.A. Birch and G. Akay, Polyhipe polymer: A novel scaffold for in vitro bone tissue engineering. Biomed International Conference, 20-24 September 2002, Antalya, Turkey.
11. G. Akay, Development of microcellular polymers as support for tissue engineering. Nano Bio Tech Conference, 30 September – 2 October 2002, Munster, Germany.
12. G. Akay, M. Dogru, T. Pekdemir and J. Vickers, Process Intensification in oil-water emulsion separation. The 13th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena, University of Victoria, 14-18 July 2002, Victoria BC, Canada.
13. G. Akay, Development of nano-structured micro-porous functional materials for tissue engineering and biotechnology, BioNE2 Workshop on Advanced Materials for Tissue Engineering, 19 May 2005, Durham University, UK.
14. G. Akay, Development of novel technologies based on flow induced phase inversion phenomenon, The 5th AkzoNobel Chemicals Mini Symposium on Emulsification Technology, 12-13 May 2005, AkzoNobel Felling, UK.
15. G. Akay, M. Dogru, O.F. Calkan and B. Calkan, Enhancement of product gas calorific value and quality through integrated – intensified gasifier system for biomass. EU Summer School on: Closing Water and Resources Cycles via Gas Treatment. 26 June, 1st July 2005, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
16. G. Akay, Z.Z. Noor, M. Dogru and S. R. Larter, Intensification of highly stable water-in-crude oil emulsiopnd under electric field in the presence of micro-cellular demulsifiers, 10th Meeting of the Process Intensification Network (PIN), 3 June, 2004, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.
17. G. Akay and M. Dogru, Intensified integrated biomass based sustainable energy technology and the role of gasification, Renewable Energy from Land Workshop, 1 July 2004, Newcastle University, UK
18. L.Liu, MJ Hounslow, G Akay, M van Sint Annaland, JMMM Kuipers, Coupling of population balances and computational fluid dynamics in dense phase systems, AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, USA, November 2003.
19. G. Akay, Microporous catalyst support with nano-microstructure, International Workshop on Nanotechnology, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, 18 – 21 August 2003. Plenary presentation.
20. G. Akay, Process intensification and miniaturization research at Newcastle University, Seminar at the School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Sciences, Manchester University, 29 October 2003.
21. G. Akay, O.F. Calkan*, M. Dogru* , Intensified integrated biorefinery for biomass baased sustainable energy and feedstock generation, International Conference on Environment: Survival and Sustainability, 19-24 February 2007, Nicosia - Northern Cyprus
22. G.Akay, Combating Global Warming: Establishment of Biomass Based Intensified Energy and Chemical Feedstock Technologies, School of Engineering, Durham University, 24 April 2007.
23. G Akay, Development of Intensified Integrated Biorefinery Technology, Workshop on Renewable Chemicals, 12-13 Sep 2007, Marriott Hotel, Leeds.
24. G. Akay, Intensified gasification technology, Continuing Professional Development Event: Gasification, IChemE in Scotland, Heriot-Watt University, 29 October 2007.
25. G. Akay, Intensified gasification technology, Continuing Professional Development Event: Gasification, IChemE in Scotland, Heriot-Watt University, 29 October 2007.
26. G. Akay, Mimicking of Nature’s Nano/Micro Architecture in Micro-Reactors for (Bio)Process Intensification and Tissue Engineering, The 2nd UK-Japan Symposium on Promotion of Regional Partnership on Nanotechnology Development, Newcastle University, March 20th -23rd 2006
27. G. Akay Z.Z. Noor, O.F. Calkan, T. M. Ndlovu and D. Burke, Intensification of chemical reactions in micro-porous media: Preparation of functional nano-structured micro-porous polymeric monoliths for micro-bioreactors, 232th ACS National Meeting, September 10-14, 2006, San Francisco, USA
28. G. Akay Process Intensification in Particle Technology: Preparation of Nano-structured Micro-porous Functional Materials, International Workshop on Process Intensification in Fluid and Particle Engineering, October 15-18, 2006, Kobe University, Japan.
29. G. Akay, Mimicking of Nature’s Micro-architecture for Process Intensification: Applications in Tissue Engineering, Bioprocess, Agroprocess and Chemical Process Intensifications; The 45th Annual Meeting of the Japan Oil Chemists’ Society, Tokyo Science University, 8-10 September 2006, Tokyo, Japan.
30. G. Akay, Process Intensification and Miniaturization Biological, Chemical, Environmental and Energy Conversion Technologies, Seminar at Chemical Engineering Department of Hacettepe University, Ankara, 2 May 2006.
31. G. Akay, Preparation of functional nan-structured micro-porous polymers for bioprocess/chemical process intensification and tissue engineering based on size dependent confinement phenomena, 6th Advanced Polymers via Macromolecular Engineering, APME 2005, 15-19 August 2005, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey.
32. G Akay, B. Calkan, OF Calkan, R Mohamed and ZZ Noor, Intensification and Tissue Engineering Fabrication of Nano-structured Micro-porous Materials for Bioprocess – Chemical Process, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 2006, 3-5 May 2006, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
Prize winning publications
Award winning lecture ‘Mimicking of Nature’s Micro-architecture for Process Intensification: Applications in Tissue Engineering, Bioprocess, Agroprocess and Chemical Process Intensifications’, The 45th Annual Meeting of the Japan Oil Chemists’ Society (JOCS), Tokyo Science University, 8-10 September 2006, Tokyo, Japan, presented by the President of JOCS, Dr Kazuo Tajima.
Editorships and editorial board membership
1. Co-editor of book series: ‘Process Intensification’ Wiley-VCH.
2. Regional Editor of: International Journal of Transport Phenomena
3. Editorial board membership of: International Journal Green Energy
4. Editorial board membership of: Chemical Engineering and Processing
5. Member of the Editorial Board of the Open Biotechnology
Research and Development executive director of ITI Energy
1. G. Akay, Stable oil in water emulsions, EP 649 867 (2001).
2. G. Akay, GN Irving, AJ Kowalski, D. Machin, Process for the production of liquid compositions, European Patent, EP 799303 (2001)
3. G Akay, Stabile oel – in – wasser emulsionen und verfahren zu deren herstellung, DE69330954C (2001).
4. G. Akay et al, Verfahren zur herstellung von fluessigen zusammensetzunggen, DE69523623T2, (2002).
5. G. Akay and N. Irving, Dynamic mixing apparatus for the production of liquid compositions, US 63445907 (2002).
6. G. Akay et al., Procedimiento para la produccion de composicion liquida, ES 2166839T3, (2002)
7. G. Akay, S. Dawnes, VJ Price, Microcellular polymers as cell growth media and novel polymers, EP 1183328 A2 (2002); US 09, 856,182 (2002).
8. G. Akay and J. Vickers, Method for separating oil in water emulsions, EP13074202A2 (2003).
9. G. Akay, Method and apparatus for processing flowable material, WO 2004/004880 (2004).
10. G. Akay, Microporous polymers, WO 2004/005355 (2004).
11. Gasification, US2006265954 (2006)
12. G. Akay, Microporous polymers, WO 2004/005355 (2004).
13. M. Dogru and G Akay, Gasification, US2006265954 (2006)
14. M. Dogru and G Akay, Gaseificacao, BR0416197 (2006)
15. M. Dogru and G Akay, Catalytic gasification, EP1687390 (2006)
16. M. Dogru and G Akay, Catalytic gasification, WO05047435 (2005)
17. M. Dogru and G Akay, Gasification, AU4288845 (2006)
18. G. Akay and J. Vickers, Improved methods for separating oil in water AU01764472 (2002).
19. G. Akay, Method and apparatus for processing flowable material and polyhipe polymers, AU04004880 (2004)
20. G. Akay, Microporous polymers, AU3255713 (2004)