Dr Jonathan Lee
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5201
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5292
B.Eng. (Hons) Chemical and Process Engineering
Ph.D. Chemical and Process Engineering
Certificate in Teaching and Learning
1995 - 1997 Lecturer, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Bradford. Teaching Fluid Mechanics and conducting research on solvent extraction in rotating equipment and electrically assisted coalescence in water in crude oil dispersions.
1993 - 1995 Research Associate, Process intensification Group, University of Newcastle. Working on Solvent Extraction in Rotating Packed Bed Contactors.
Associate Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers
Process Intensification - Rotating Packed Beds
Biofuel and chemical production from algae
Jonathan Lee's profile can be viewed at Google Scholar
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Intensification of solvent based post combustion carbon capture using rotating packed beds
Hydrodynamics of co current and counter current multiphase flows in rotating systems
Harvesting of marine micro algae using a foam column
Selective removal of ciliates from algal culture using a foam column
particle production in a foam column
Catalytic pyrolysis of micro algae.
Catalytic cracking of vegetable oil.
Invited Presentations to the Netherlands Process Intensification Network
Reviewer for Chemical Engineering Science.
Reviewer for Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research.
Solvent extraction, in particular rotating liquid-liquid contactors for the extraction of product from fermentation broths. We have a rotating solvent extraction unit that can be used for small scale trials.
Fluid flow/ multiphase flow: Expert in the use of FLUENT software to simulate complex fluid flow problems, in particular solid particle + gas flows.
Biofuels: Biodiesel and the use of algae to provide oil for conversion into biodiesel.
I teach thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and process design. I believe that group design projects play a vital role in linking student knowledge from single subjects to give an overview of what professional chemical engineers do, the problems they have to solve and the issues they have to consider.
Currently I am involved in delivering the following modules
CME1025 – Chemical Engineering Principles, Module LeaderCME3032 – Process Business Operations CME3033 – Separation Processes 2 – Module Leader CME3037 – Separation Processes 2(Industry) – Module Leader CME3039 – Design Project – Module Leader CME8018 – Air Pollution CME8022 – Hydrocarbon Production and Process Engineering – Module Leader CME8055 – Energy Sources and Storage CME8107 – Process Intensification CME8117 – MEng Research Project CME8119 – Advanced Transport Processes – Module Leader SPG8007 – Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technology
- Outram V, Lalander C-A, Lee JGM, Davies ET, Harvey AP. Applied in situ product recovery in ABE fermentation. Biotechnology Progress 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Outram V, Lalander C-A, Lee JGM, Davis ET, Harvey AP. A comparison of the energy use of in situ product recovery techniques for the Acetone Butanol Ethanol fermentation. Bioresource Technology 2016, 220, 590–600.
- Velasquez-Orta SB, Lee JGM, Harvey AP. Catalytic cracking using ZSM-5 or Zeolite-Y and pyrolysis of Chlorella vulgaris. In: 5th International Conference on Algal Biomass, Biofuels and Bioproducts. 2015, San Diego, USA.
- Jammoal Y, Lee JGM. Drop velocity in a rotating liquid-liquid system. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 2015, 104, 638-646.
- Coward T, Lee JGM, Caldwell GS. The effect of bubble size on the efficiency and economics of harvesting microalgae by foam flotation. Journal of Applied Phycology 2015, 27(2), 733-742.
- Coward T, Lee JGM, Caldwell GS. Harvesting microalgae by CTAB-aided foam flotation increases lipid recovery and improves fatty acid methyl ester characteristics. Biomass and Bioenergy 2014, 67, 354-362.
- Coward T, Lee JGM, Caldwell GS. Development of a foam flotation system for harvesting microalgae biomass. Algal Research 2013, 2(2), 135-144.
- Velasquez-Orta SB, Lee JGM, Harvey A. Evaluation of FAME production from wet marine and freshwater microalgae by in situ transesterification. Biochemical Engineering Journal 2013, 76, 83-89.
- Velasquez Orta SB, Lee JGM, Harvey A. Alkaline in situ transesterification of Chlorella vulgaris. Fuel 2012, 94, 544-550.
- Porwal J, Bangwal D, Garg MO, Kaul S, Harvey AP, Lee JGM, Kasim FH, Eterigho EJ. Reactive-extraction of pongamia seeds for biodiesel production. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 2012, 71(12), 822-828.
- Velasquez-Orta SB, Harvey AP, Lee J. Biodiesel production from nannochloropsis occulata by in situ transesterification. In: European Process Intensification Conference. 2011, Manchester, UK: AIChE.
- Eterigho EJ, Lee JGM, Harvey AP. Triglyceride cracking for biofuel production using a directly synthesised sulphated zirconia catalyst. Bioresource Technology 2011, 102(10), 6313-6316.
- Bailes PJ, Lee JGM, Parsons AR. An experimental investigation into the motion of a single drop in a pulsed DC electric field. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 2000, 78(3), 499-505.