Roles and Responsibilities
Stage 1 Tutor
Stage 1 Laboratory Supervisor
Member of Undergraduate Teaching and Learning Committee
Member of Recruitment and Marketing Committee
INTO School Liaison
Member of Staff-Student Committee
MEng (1st Class Hons)(University of Newcastle)
PhD (University of Newcastle)
Honours and Awards
ExxonMobil Engineering Teaching Fellowship (2004-2007)
Award of ExxonMobil Higher Education Support Scheme (EHESS)(2004)
SAgE Faculty Certificate of Appreciation for Best Lecturer (2003)
ORS Award (1995-1999)
English and French (Fluent)
Main expertise/research interests
My research activities in the area of Process Intensification have focused on the development of the spinning disc reactor (SDR) and its application to polymerisation reactions including free-radical styrene polymerisation, photopolymerisation of styrene and n-butyl acrylate and cationic polymerisation of styrene using immobilised Lewis acid catalysts. Further work is on-going in area of the emulsion polymerisation.
Recently, I have been investigating the application of intensified reactor technologies to bioprocesses such as fermentation reactions. I also have a keen interest in intensification applications involving green chemistry and engineering such as ionic liquid processing and renewable resources such as the use of biomass for biofuels and biopolymers.
Development of intensified bioreactors for fermentation/enzymatic processes
Spinning disc reactor applications
- Somaieh Mohammadi (March 2011-Present)"Crystallisation in the Spinning Disc Reactor"
- Dena Ghiasy (October 2009-Present) “Modelling and Control of a Rotating Disk Contactor” funded by EPSRC DTA Award
- Salah Al-Hengari (2012) "Micromixing Characteristics and Residence Time Distribution in the Spinning Disc Reactor" funded by Libyan Petroleum Institute
- Craig Cartwright (2011) "Bioprocess Intensfication: A study of rotating porous mesh impellers for enhancement of aerobic fermentation processes" funded by an EPSRC DTA
- Christopher Dobie (2010)"A study of bulk free-radical co-polymerisation and surfactant-free emulsion polymerisation using intensified processing methods" funded by EPSRC DTA
- Edward Mc Carthy (2007) "The Production of Polymer Nanocomposites using Intensified Modules" funded by Crystal Faraday/Protensive CASE Award
- Paul Hetherington (2004-2006) "Process intensification : a study of calcium carbonate precipitation methods on a spinning disc reactor" funded by an EPSRC Doctoral Training Award
- Stephane Vallois (2007-2008) "Feasibility study of producing polymers in SDR", Industry funded project
- Marija Vicevic (2007-2008) “Design and development of centrifugal field bioreactor”, EU funded Integrated Project on Bioproduction
- Marija Vicevic (2006- 2007) “Feasibility study for multi-functional acrylate process in SDR”, Industry funded project
- Marija Vicevic (2004-2005) "Kinetics and Mechanisms of Rapid Radical Polymerisations in SDR", EPSRC funded project
Final Year MEng projects (2001-Present)
- Nile Smith (2012) "Understanding the rheological properties and decomposition endotherms of scrap/recycle polymer"
- Johanna Smith (2011) "Assessment of energy saving potential of prcess intensification technologies in the UK's pharmaceutical and fine chemicals industries"
- Dean McCaffery (2011) "Assessment of energy saving potential of process intensification technologies in the UK's oil and gas and food industries"
- Lily Smith (2011) "Development of a continuous reactor technloogy for microwave assisted decomposition of solid biomass" (in collaboration with Green Chemistry Group at York University and Universidad Politécnica de Cartagena, Spain)
- Jennifer Horstwood (2009) "Characterisation of micromixing effects in a narrow channel reactor"
- Ian Duffus (2009) "Effect of ultrasound on Sugar Fatty Acid Ester (SFAE) synthesis"
- Christopher Dobie (2006) "Effect of agitation rate on polymerisation in a batch stirred tank reactor"
- Ellen Toogood (2005) "Intensification of a bioprocess: gas-liquid mass transfer enhancement using porous mesh impellers"
- Andrew Grant (2005) "Kinetics of free-radical polymerisation in batch and spinning disc reactors"
- Leo Kalli (2004) "Intensfication of a bioprocess"
- Matthew Tondziel (2002) "Photo-initiated polymerisation of styrene on a spinning disc reactor"
- Kirsti Eimer (2002) "Cationic polymerisation of styrene using a spinning disc reactor"
- Graham Lewis (2001) "Photo-polymerisation of n-butyl acrylate by utilisation of the spinning disc reactor"
MSc projects (2004-Present)
- Ibrahim Fawaz (2009) "An Investigation into the Intensification of Enzymatic Synthesis of Sugar Fatty Acid Esters"
- James Thompson (2008) "Intensification of enzymatic biodiesel production using ultrasound"
- Yoke Ling Lee (2006) "Characterisation of bubble size distribution using porous mesh impellers"
- Puneet Puri (2006) "Mass transfer characteristics of porous packing impellers for potential application to fermentation processes"
- Masumah Al-Qasmi (2005) "Photo-initiated Emulsifier-free Emulsion Polymerisation in a Batch Reactor"
- Teresa Ndlovu (2004) "Intensification of aerobic fermentation of E.coli using a novel agitator"
Exchange students (2002-Present)
- Wong Qui Rong (2004) "Intensification of oxygen transfer in aerobic fermentations" (Exchange student from Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore)
- Thomas Beckmann (2003) "Effect of agitation rate on batch polymerisation of styrene and methyl methacrylate" (Exchange student from University of Dortmund, Germany)
- Aman Kaur (2002) "Spinning Disc Reactor (SDR) for Cationic Polymerization of Styrene" (Exchange student from Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore)
Summer Research projects
- Andreina Bolivar (2007) " Free radical photo copolymerisation study of butyl acrylate and vinyl acetate using a spinning disc reactor"
- Ellen Toogood (2004) "Intensification of oxygen transfer rates in aerobic fermentations using high cell density cultures through use of a rotating porous packed bed" (funded by Nuffield Foundation)
• Winner of an ExxonMobil Engineering Teaching Fellowship (2004-2007)
• Invited to serve as panel member for EPSRC Engineering Systems programme (2008-Present)
• Invited keynote lecture on Process Intensification (6th Green Chemistry and the Consumer Symposium) (2009); invited talks by industry (PIN-NL Network (2010)) and various UK universities (2006-Present)
• Invited by Working Party on Process Intensification of the European Federation of Chemical Engineering to contribute as a leading expert in Spinning Disc Reactor Technology to the European Roadmap of Process Intensification (2007)
• Invited to deliver a 5-day training course on Process Intensification Technologies organised by Libyan Petroleum Institute for petrochemical industry participants (2007)
• Reviewer for leading journals in chemical engineering and polymer science (Chemical Engineering Science, Chemical Engineering Journal, Chemical Engineering & Processing: Process Intensification, Journal of Applied Polymer Science (2005-Present))
• Reviewer of EPSRC grant applications (2004-Present) and International reviewer for Dutch Technology Foundation STW (2005-Present)
• Member of EPSRC Peer Review College (2003-2005)
• Internal and External examiner for MPhils and PhDs (2002-Present)
EU funded project: "Sustainable Microbial and Biocatalytic Production of Advanced Functional Materials (BIOPRODUCTION)", Project value €9,000,000 (£240,000 to Newcastle), 09/2006 - 08/2010 (Co-Investigator)
Process intensification: Evaluation of intensified technologies for specific applications.
Polymerisation processes and characterisation of polymers (mainly molecular weights and viscosity).
Distillation column: evaluation of existing columns for proposed separation duties
Bohlin Cone and Plate viscometer.
Gel Permeation Chromatography for analysis of molecular weight and molecular weight distributions (Polymer Labs).
Mettler-Toledo ReactIR system for online and offline analysis.
Stage 1: Fluids
Stage 2: Separation Processes 1 (NUIS)
Stage 2: Transfer Processes (Heat Transfer) (NUIS)
Stage 3: Process Economics (NUIS)
Stage 3: Plant Design Project (NUIS)
Stage 4: Enhanced Design Project
Stage 4: Extended Design Project
Stage 4: Process Intensification
MSc Sustainable Engineering: Process Intensification
MSc Clean Technology: Clean Technology Applications
MSc PACT: Distillation Column Design and Operation
Guest Lecturer on MSc programme in Green Chemistry and Sustainable Industrial Technology at University of York (2007-Present)