Dr Paola Crippa
L’Oréal-UNESCO Fellow and Research Associate (COMET project)
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 5041
- Address: School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Link to personal page
2013: PhD in Atmospheric Science, Dept of Geological Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington, USA. Thesis: Understanding the sources, scales and fate of ultrafine particles. Advisor: Prof. Sara C. Pryor
2007: MSc in Environmental Engineering, Dept of Environmental Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy. Advisor: Dr. Giovanni Lonati
2005: BSc in Environmental Engineering, Dept of Environmental Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy. Advisor: Prof. Michele Giugliano
I am an atmospheric scientist with a background in atmospheric chemistry and aerosol modelling. In my research I aim at improving understanding of processes responsible for new particle formation (NPF) and growth in the atmosphere, and at quantifying the spatial scales of these events, to possibly reduce their impacts on human health and the Earth’s climate.
To investigate these topics, I integrate box model and regional model (WRF-Chem) simulations of aerosol dynamics with ground-based measurements and remotely-sensed observations of aerosol properties (e.g. size distribution, chemical and optical properties) and of atmospheric chemical species. I am also exploring the possibility of predicting ultrafine particle concentrations based on a statistically-based algorithm and satellite retrievals.
I am also interested in further investigating NPF processes after the occurrence of large explosive volcanic eruptions, with focus on sulphate aerosol formation processes and transport along the equatorial belt with WRF-Chem to quantify the radiative heat exchange due to the presence of large amount of sulphur dioxide and sulphate aerosols.
Since my appointment at Newcastle University, I have been working within the LICS (Look inside the continents from Space) project, and my research is funded by the Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonics (COMET+). In this context my research focuses on implementing and evaluating tropospheric delay correction methods for Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) data based on high resolution Numerical Weather Model output. I am currently using simulated results from the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF), run globally at 16 km resolution and apply it to InSAR measurements from the recently launched Sentinel-1 satellite.
2013 Yuhan Chen, MS (KAUST, Saudi Arabia)
- Crippa P, Castruccio S, Pryor SC. Forecasting Ultrafine Particle Concentrations from Satellite and In-Situ Observations. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 2017, 122(3), 1828-1837.
- Crippa P, Sullivan RC, Thota A, Pryor SC. The impact of resolution on meteorological, chemical and aerosol properties in regional simulations with WRF-Chem. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 2017, 17(2), 1511-1528.
- Crippa P, Sullivan RC, Thota A, Pryor SC. Evaluating the skill of high-resolution WRF-Chem simulations in describing drivers of aerosol direct climate forcing on the regional scale. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 2016, 16(1), 397-416.
- Crippa P, Castruccio S, Archer-Nicholls S, Lebron GB, Kuwata M, Thota A, Sumin S, Butt E, Wiedinmeyer C, Spraklen DV. Population exposure to hazardous air quality due to 2015 fires in Equatorial Asia. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 37074.
- Sullivan RC, Crippa P, Hallar AG, Clarisse L, Whitburn S, Van Damme M, Leaitch WR, Walker JT, Khlystov A, Pryor SC. Using satellite-based measurements to explore spatiotemporal scales and variability of drivers of new particle formation. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 2016, 121(20), 12217-12235.
- Pryor SC, Crippa P, Sullivan RC. Atmospheric Chemistry. In: J.T. Schoof ed. Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences (Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences) 2015. Elsevier.
- Genton MG, Castruccio S, Crippa P, Dutta S, Huser R, Sun Y, Vettori S. Visuanimation in statistics. Stat 2015, 4(1), 81-96.
- Barthelmie RJ, Crippa P, Wang H, Smith CM, Krishnamurthy R, Calhoun R, Valyou D, Marzocca P, Matthiesen D, Brown G, Pryor SC. 3D Wind and Turbulence Characteristics of the Atmospheric Boundary Layer. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 2014, 95(5), 743–756.
- Crippa P, Spracklen D, Pryor SC. Satellite-derived estimates of ultrafine particle concentrations over eastern North America. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere 2013, 118(17), 9968–9981.
- Crippa P, Pryor SC. Spatial and temporal scales of new particle formation events in eastern North America. Atmospheric Environment 2013, 75, 257-264.
- Crippa P, Petäjä T, Korhonen H, El Afandi GS, Pryor SC. Evidence of an elevated source of nucleation based on model simulations and data from the NIFTy experiment. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 2012, 12, 8021-8036.