Professor Peter Clarke
Professor of Geophysical Geodesy & Deputy Head of School
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6351
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6502
- Personal Website: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/peter.clarke/
- Address: School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Peter Clarke works at the interface of geodesy and geophysics, using precise GPS/GNSS positioning to study the deformation of the Earth due to plate tectonics, tides, and surface mass loading. His interests span the applications of these areas to geohazards such as earthquakes, tsunamis and climate change (changes in the global hydrological cycle, ice sheet mass, and atmospheric water vapour).
Roles and Responsibilities
Geomatics group leader, 2014-present.
Deputy Head of School 2016-present.
Member of University Senate, 2012-2015.
School Unix/Linux systems academic coordinator.
B.A. (Hons.), Natural Sciences (Geological Sciences), Queens' College, Cambridge University, 1992 (M.A., 1995).
D.Phil., Earth Sciences, Exeter College, Oxford University, 1997.
Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Newcastle University, 1999.
Reader in Geophysical Geodesy, School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University, 2004-2007.
Visiting Assistant Professor, Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research and Department of Physics, University of Colorado at Boulder, USA, 2003 (sabbatical).
Lecturer, Department of Geomatics / School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University, 1998-2004.
Junior Research Fellow, Wolfson College, Oxford University, 1997-1998.
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University, 1996-1998.
Post-Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University, 1992-1993.
Fellow, Royal Astronomical Society (2002-).
Fellow, Higher Education Academy (formerly ILTHE, 2001-).
Board of Editors, Journal of Geodesy (2007-2015).
UK panel for International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (2011-).
British Geophysical Association (committee member 2009-2015, Treasurer 2011-2015).
NERC Peer Review College (2008-)
Member, Americal Geophysical Union (1998-).
Associate Member, International GNSS Service (1999-).
Associate, UNAVCO Inc (2009-).
French: basic conversational.
German: very basic.
Greek: very basic.
Mountaineering, running, orienteering, cycling, skiing, travel, family.
Global and regional GPS/GNSS geodesy; hydrological loading; ocean tide loading; Glacial Isostatic Adjustment; sea level change; precise GPS/GNSS positioning; reference frames; tropospheric water vapour; GPS/GNSS meteorology; Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) interferometry (InSAR); engineering deformation monitoring; crustal deformation; tectonics (especially Greece and Italy); earthquake cycle; post-seismic deformation; geophysical inverse theory.
See my Google Scholar profile.
Using global geodesy to observe the seasonal water cycle and climate change.
Precise GPS geodesy to constrain models of glacial isostatic adjustment in Antarctica.
GPS observations and forecasting of tsunami height.
Global geodetic reference frames.
Calibration/validation of the GRACE gravity satellite.
Ocean tide loading in the UK and worldwide.
Precise GPS positioning for oilfield subsidence monitoring.
Tectonics in Greece, Italy and south-east Asia.
Geodetic observations of the earthquake cycle and associated geophysical inverse theory.
Reza Amouzgar (submitted PhD): Adaptive grid based integrated model for tsunami simulations [co-supervisor]
Philippa Cowles (Stage 4 PhD): Rapid and accurate GNSS-based tsunami warning
Jiajun Chen (Stage 3 PhD): Integration of InSAR and GNSS data for tectonic and earthquake deformation monitoring [co-supervisor]
Yasir Al-Husseinawi (Stage 2 PhD): Integration of InSAR, GNSS and terrestrial data for dam deformation monitoring [co-supervisor]
Majid Abbaszadeh (Stage 1 PhD): Ocean tide loading and anelasticity of the Earth
Katarina Vardic (Stage 1 PhD): Global surface mass loading and the reference frame
Junjie Wang (visiting PhD): Kinematics GNSS and ocean tide loading
Ciprian Spatar (PhD 2016):
Sam Webb (PhD 2015): Kinematic GNSS tropospheric estimation and mitigation over a range of altitudes
Grace Nield (PhD 2014): The effect of Late Holocene ice mass changes on glacial isostatic adjustment in West Antararctica
Mohammed Assiadi (PhD 2012): Enhancement of the accuracy of single epoch positioning for long baselines with application to structure deformation monitoring [co-supervisor]
David Booker (PhD 2012): Secular changes in Earth's shape and surface mass loading
Ian Thomas (PhD 2008): GPS estimates of sub-daily to decadal changes in Antarctic water vapour, 1995-2006
Ahmed Ragheb (PhD 2008): Filtered and semi-continuous single epoch GPS for deformation monitoring
Sofia Rontogianni (PhD 2007): Strain rates in Greece using GPS measurements from 1994-2000
Anna Freemantle (PhD 2006): Present-day Adriatic tectonics: rigorous tests using continuous GPS
Craig Allinson (PhD 2005): Ocean tide loading in the British Isles from GPS observations
Stuart Edwards (PhD 2005): GPS Calibration and Validation of Altimetric Satellite Radiometers
Jamal Gledan (PhD 2004): Development of low cost GPS strategies for deformation monitoring [co-supervisor]
Simon Edwards (PhD 2003): Calibration of tropospheric artefacts in SAR interferometry using GPS observations
Ravi Gunasingam (MPhil 2003): Single-epoch ambiguity resolution using low-cost GPS receivers
Julian Rainbow (MPhil 2001): Optimising navigational precision utilising potential GNSS constellations
UK delegate to International Association for Geodesy (2011-present).
UK panel for International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (2011-present).
NERC Earth Sector Services and Facilities Advisory Group (2014-present).
NERC Peer Review College, 2008-present (Interdisciplinary Studentships peer review panel, 2010; Networks of Sensors moderating panel, 2011; New Investigators panel, 2011; Large Grants panel, 2013; Standard Grants panels, 2014, 2015).
NERC Geophysical Equipment Facility Steering Committee, 2005-2014 (Chair 2010-2014).
NERC Space Geodesy Steering Committee, 2004-2007.
NERC Services Review Board member, 2004.
NASA Inter-Disciplinary Science sea-level funding review panel member, 2003.
European Science Foundation review college (2008-present).
TSB Satellite Applications Catapult NE Centre of Excellence steering committee (2014-present).
Board of Editors, Journal of Geodesy, 2007-2015.
British Geophysical Association committee (2009-2015; Treasurer 2011-2015).
Invited speaker (x2), American Geophysical Union Fall conference, San Francisco, 2003.
Invited speaker, IERS workshop, Munich, 2002.
Invited keynote speaker, IGCP565 3rd workshop, Reno, 2010.
Invited speaker, WEGENER 17th General Assembly, Leeds, 2014.
Invites speaker, IUGG General Assembly, Prague, 2015.
UK Natural Environment Research Council:
Global geodetic investigation of widespread intraplate deformation (PI, 1999-2002).
Elastic and Inelastic Ocean Tide Loading Response in the British Isles from Long-term GPS Observations (PI, 2001-2004).
Solid Earth deformation and changes in mass transport of the hydrosphere (PI, 2002-2005).
Validation of GRACE gravity field determination using GPS (PI, 2003-2004).
Changes in Glacier Geometry and Extent in Svalbard: implications for Sea-level Rise During the 20th and 21st Centuries (Co-I, 2004-2007).
Global Loading and Deformation at Tidal Timescales (PI, 2006-2009).
Tidal Dynamics of the Filchner-Ronne and Larsen C Ice Shelves from GPs Observations and Model Assimilation (PI, 2007-2010).
The determination of a new global GPS-derived surface velocity field and its application to the problem of 20th century sea-level rise (Co-I, 2007-2011).
Improved constraints on global-scale hydrological change by determining secular geocenter motion and low degrees of the surface mass load (PI, 2008-2013).
Consistent multi-technique geodetic estimates of contributions to present-day sea level change (PI, 2008-2011).
Improved models of West Antarctic glacial isostatic adjustment through new crustal motion data (Co-I/PI, 2009-2015).
Resolving Antarctic ice mass TrEndS [RATES] (Co-I/PI, 2012-2015).
iSTAR-D: The contribution to sea level from the Amundsen Sea sector of Antarctica (Co-I/PI, 2013-2017).
Reducing the uncertainty in estimates of the sea level contribution from the westernmost part of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet [Undercoats] (PI, 2014-2020).
UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council:
Correction of tropospheric artefacts in SAR interferograms using GPS observations (PI, 1999-2002).
Synergy of GPS, digital photogrammetry and InSAR for coastal zone monitoring (Co-I, 2000-2003).
Auto - bahn: Towards Millimetre Accurate Real - Time Positioning From GNSS (Co-I, 2005-2007).
Institutional Award equipment funding (PI, 2013).
Other academic or related bodies:
GPS subsidence monitoring at Houghton-le-Spring (British Geological Survey; PI, 2001-2002).
An assessment of ocean tide loading models for precise GPS positioning in Great Britain (RICS Education Trust; Co-I, 2005).
Tropospheric effects on GNSS positioning for airborne applications (RICS Education Trust; Joint PI, 2011).
Mitigation of GNSS multipath by the use of dual-polarisation observations (RICS Education Trust; Joint PI, 2013-2014).
Regional glacial isostatic adjustment and CryoSat elevation rate corrections in Antarctica [REGINA] (European Space Agency; PI, 2013-2014 and 2014-2015).
Industrial research and consultancy:
Continuous monitoring of North Sea oil platform movement using GPS (Shell UK; Co-I, 1998-2002; PI, 2003-2015).
Subsidence monitoring at Wytch Farm oil field, Dorset (BP; Co-I, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010).
Review and validation of improvements to GPS subsidence monitoring at Ekofisk field, southern North Sea (Phillips Petroleum; PI, 2002-2003).
Permanent GPS Monitoring of Shah Deniz Platform, Caspian Sea (Fugro Survey / BP; Co-I, 2005-2014).
Precise positioning and navigation.
Oilfield and oil platform monitoring.
Engineering and natural hazard deformation monitoring.
CEG1705 "An introduction to GNSS and its applications" (module leader).
CEG1711 "Tutorial study skills for geomatics".
CEG2720 "Geomatics practice and research" (module leader).
CEG2722 "Informatics 2".
CEG3707 "Geohazards and deformation monitoring" (module leader).
CEG3710 "Offshore surveying".
CEG3799 "Individual research project".
- Amouzgar R, Liang Q, Clarke PJ, Yasuda T, Mase H. Computationally efficient tsunami modelling on Graphics Processing Units (GPUs). International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering 2016, 26(2), 154-160.
- Martín-Español A, Zammit-Mangion A, Clarke PJ, Flament T, Helm V, King MA, Luthcke SB, Petrie E, Remy F, Schön N, Wouters B, Bamber JL. Spatial and temporal Antarctic ice sheet mass trends, glacio-isostatic adjustment and surface processes from a joint inversion of satellite altimeter, gravity and GPS data. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface 2016.
- Nield GA, Whitehouse PL, King MA, Clarke PJ. Glacial isostatic adjustment in response to changing Late Holocene behaviour of ice streams on the Siple Coast, West Antarctica. Geophysical Journal International 2016, 205(1), 1-21.
- Webb SR, Penna NT, Clarke PJ, Webster S, Martin I, Bennitt GV. Kinematic GNSS estimation of zenith wet delay over a range of altitudes. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2016, 33(1), 3-15.
- Bos MS, Penna NT, Baker TF, Clarke PJ. Ocean tide loading displacements in western Europe: 2. GPS-observed anelastic dispersion in the asthenosphere. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 2015, 120(9), 6540–6557.
- Penna NT, Clarke PJ, Bos MS, Baker TF. Ocean tide loading displacements in western Europe: 1. Validation of kinematic GPS estimates. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 2015, 120(9), 6523–6539.
- Spatar CB, Moore P, Clarke PJ. Collinearity assessment of geocentre coordinates derived from multi-satellite SLR data. Journal of Geodesy 2015, 89(12), 1197-1216.
- Webb SR, Penna NT, Clarke PJ. Snowdon Mountain Railway Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS): Repeatable Kinematic Dataset Collection from Snowdonia. 2015. Harwell: Centre for Environmental Data Archival.
- Assiadi A, Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ. Enhancement of the accuracy of single-epoch GPS positioning for long baselines by local ionospheric modelling. GPS Solutions 2014, 18(3), 453-460.
- Booker D, Clarke PJ, Lavallée DA. Secular changes in Earth's shape and surface mass loading derived from combinations of reprocessed global GPS networks. Journal of Geodesy 2014, 88(9), 839-855.
- Nield GA, Barletta VR, Bordoni A, King MA, Whitehouse PL, Clarke PJ, Domack E, Scambos TA, Berthier E. Rapid bedrock uplift in the Antarctic Peninsula explained by viscoelastic response to recent ice unloading. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 2014, 397, 32-41.
- Nield GA, Whitehouse PL, King MA, Clarke PJ, Bentley MJ. Increased ice loading in the Antarctic Peninsula since the 1850s and its effect on glacial isostatic adjustment. Geophysical Research Letters 2012, 39(17), L17504.
- Thomas ID, King MA, Bentley MJ, Whitehouse PL, Penna NT, Williams SDP, Riva REM, Lavallee DA, Clarke PJ, King EC, Hindmarsh RCA, Koivula H. Widespread low rates of Antarctic glacial isostatic adjustment revealed by GPS observations. Geophysical Research Letters 2011, 38(22), L22302.
- King MA, Padman L, Nicholls K, Clarke PJ, Gudmundsson H, Kulessa B, Shepherd A. Ocean tides in the Weddell Sea: new observations on the Filchner-Ronne and Larsen C ice shelves and model validation. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 2011, 116(C6), C06006.
- Thomas ID, King MA, Clarke PJ, Penna NT. Precipitable water vapor estimates from homogeneously reprocessed GPS data: An intertechnique comparison in Antarctica. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 2011, 116(D4), D04107.
- Clarke PJ, Penna NT. Ocean tide loading and relative GNSS in the British Isles. Survey Review 2010, 42(317), 212-228.
- Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ, Penna NT, Goebell S. An examination of network RTK GPS services in Great Britain. Survey Review 2010, 42(316), 107-121.
- Lavallee DA, Moore P, Clarke PJ, Petrie EJ, van Dam T, King MA. J2: An evaluation of new estimates from GPS, GRACE, and load models compared to SLR. Geophysical Research Letters 2010, 37(22), L22403.
- Ragheb AE, Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ. Using Filtered and Semicontinuous High Rate GPS for Monitoring Deformations. Journal of Surveying Engineering 2010, 136(2), 72-79.
- King MA, Watson CS, Penna NT, Clarke PJ. Subdaily signals in GPS observations and their effect at semiannual and annual periods. Geophysical Research Letters 2008, 35(3), L03302.
- Clarke PJ, Lavallée DA, Blewitt G, van Dam T. Basis functions for the consistent and accurate representation of surface mass loading. Geophysical Journal International 2007, 171(1), 1-10.
- Ragheb AE, Clarke PJ, Edwards SJ. GPS sidereal filtering: coordinate- and carrier-phase-level strategies. Journal of Geodesy 2007, 81(5), 325-335.
- Ragheb AE, Clarke PJ, Edwards SJ. Coordinate-space and observation-space filtering methods for sidereally repeating errors in GPS: Performance and filter lifetime. In: Proceedings of the Institute of Navigation, National Technical Meeting. 2007, San Diego, California: Curran Associates, Inc.
- Thomas ID, King MA, Clarke PJ. A comparison of GPS, VLBI and model estimates of ocean tide loading displacements. Journal of Geodesy 2007, 81(5), 359-368.
- King MA, Moore P, Clarke PJ, Lavallée DA. Choice of optimal averaging radii for temporal GRACE gravity solutions, a comparison with GPS and satellite altimetry. Geophysical Journal International 2006, 166(1), 1-11.
- Lavallée DA, van Dam T, Blewitt G, Clarke PJ. Geocenter motions from GPS: A unified observation model. Journal of Geophysical Research B: Solid Earth 2006, 111(5), -.
- Clarke PJ, Lavallée DA, Blewitt G, van Dam T, Wahr J. Effect of gravitational consistency and mass conservation on seasonal surface mass loading models. Geophysical Research Letters 2005, 32(8), 1-5.
- King MA, Penna NT, Clarke PJ, King EC. Validation of ocean tide models around Antarctica using onshore GPS and gravity data. Journal of Geophysical Research B: Solid Earth 2005, 110(8), 1-21.
- Mills JP, Buckley SJ, Mitchell HL, Clarke PJ, Edwards SJ. A geomatics data integration technique for coastal change monitoring. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 2005, 30(6), 651-664.
- Allinson CR, Clarke PJ, Edwards SJ, King MA, Baker TF, Cruddace PR. Stability of direct GPS estimates of ocean tide loading. Geophysical Research Letters 2004, 31(15), L15603.
- Gross R, Blewitt G, Clarke PJ, Lavallée DA. Degree-2 harmonics of the Earth's mass load estimated from GPS and Earth rotation data. Geophysical Research Letters 2004, 31(7), L07601-4.
- Blewitt G, Clarke PJ. Inversion of Earth's changing shape to weigh sea level in static equilibrium with surface mass redistribution. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 2003, 108(B6), 2311.
- Hunstad I, Selvaggi G, D'Agostino N, England P, Clarke PJ, Pierozzi M. Geodetic strain in peninsular Italy between 1875 and 2001. Geophysical Research Letters 2003, 30(4), 1181.
- Rainbow JJ, Clarke PJ. Optimising navigational precision from potential GNSS constellations. Hydrographic Journal 2002, (103), 3-9.
- Wadge G, Webley PW, James IN, Bingley R, Dodson A, Waugh S, Veneboer T, Puglisi G, Mattia M, Baker D, Edwards SC, Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ. Atmospheric models, GPS and InSAR measurements of the tropospheric water vapour field over Mount Etna. Geophysical Research Letters 2002, 29(19), 1905.
- Blewitt G, Lavallée DA, Clarke PJ, Nurutdinov K. A new global mode of Earth deformation: Seasonal cycle detected. Science 2001, 294(5550), 2342-2345.
- Wright TJ, Parsons BE, Jackson JA, Haynes M, Fielding EJ, England PC, Clarke PJ. Source parameters of the 1 October 1995 Dinar (Turkey) earthquake from SAR interferometry and seismic bodywave modelling. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 1999, 172(1-2), 23-37.
- Clarke PJ, Davies RR, England PC, Parsons B, Billiris H, Paradissis D, Veis G, Cross PA, Denys PH, Ashkenazi V, Bingley R, Kahle HG, Muller MV, Briole P. Crustal strain in central Greece from repeated GPS measurements in the interval 1989-1997. Geophysical Journal International 1998, 135(1), 195-214.
- Clarke PJ, Davies RR, England PC, Parsons BE, Billiris H, Paradissis D, Veis G, Denys PH, Cross PA, Ashkenazi V, Bingley R. Geodetic estimate of seismic hazard in the Gulf of Korinthos. Geophysical Research Letters 1997, 24(11), 1303-1306.
- Clarke PJ, Paradissis D, Briole P, England PC, Parsons BE, Billiris H, Veis G, Ruegg J-C. Geodetic investigation of the 13 May 1995 Kozani-Grevena (Greece) earthquake. Geophysical Research Letters 1997, 24(6), 707-710.