"A very enjoyable course with plenty of information to absorb. Thank you very much."
GNSS and Network RTK
Fees for 2015-16 courses held at 2014-15 prices
GNSS and Network RTK
[ Book online ]
This basic/intermediate course, developed in association with Ordnance Survey, introduces delegates to the theory and practice of using Network RTK GNSS for centimetre-level positioning. The programme includes a mixture of lectures, field and computer practicals, and group discussion.
The following topics are covered:
- Overview of GNSS
- Errors in GNSS and how to mitigate them
- Working in the urban canyon and other challenging environments
- Coordinate types and transformations, with particular reference to the British Isles
- Principles of Network RTK and best practice for its use
- Future developments in GNSS and its infrastructure
- Welcome and Intro
- Overview of GPS: System components, history, signal structure
- Modes of Positioning: Intro and practical
- Error description and distribution: practical debrief; correlated errors
- Sources of GPS error: theory
- How differential/relative GPS modes work; ambiguities
- Working in the urban environment - geometry and multipath: intro and practical
- Practical debrief and discussion
- Types of coordinates: theory
- Datums and Transformations: theory
- Effect of transformation type: spreadsheet
- Height systems: theory and spreadsheet
- Advanced error sources: theory (height/troposphere, ocean tide loading)
- Network RTK theory
- Good practice for using Network RTK: breakout discussion and feedback
- Testing Network RTK performance
- Industry best practice for Network RTK
- Future developments in GNSS
Update to course content
Please note that our courses are reviewed regularly, both in response to feedback and so that information about recent research and developments can be included. Thus, content may be subject to change.
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is principally aimed at new users of precise GNSS for surveying, and experienced practical GNSS users who would like an increased understanding of how it works and how modern developments in infrastructure have changed the way we use GNSS. Delegates may wish to extend their knowledge by attending the companion follow-on course High Precision GNSS using Post-Processing.
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
- GNSS and Network RTK
- £875.00 (duration 3 days)
We offer a 30 percent discount to full time students and to Newcastle University staff.
The course fee includes tuition, course materials, lunch and refreshments.
Please note that we also offer the two-day course High Precision GNSS using Post-Processing. Book on both courses to receive a discount of £115.00.
[ Back to top of page ]