"I got rather more information than I expected, really happy about that!"
GNSS and Network RTK
- This course has already been delivered or dates are currently being arranged. Please submit an Expression of Interest if you would like to be notified of future dates.
GNSS and Network RTK
[ Book online ]
This basic/intermediate course, developed in association with Ordnance Survey, introduces delegates to the theory and practice of using Network RTK GNSS for centimetre-level positioning. The programme includes a mixture of lectures, field and computer practicals, and group discussion.
The following topics are covered:
- Overview of GNSS
- Errors in GNSS and how to mitigate them
- Working in the urban canyon and other challenging environments
- Coordinate types and transformations, with particular reference to the British Isles
- Principles of Network RTK and best practice for its use
- Future developments in GNSS and its infrastructure
- Welcome and Intro
- Overview of GPS: System components, history, signal structure
- Modes of Positioning: Intro and practical
- Error description and distribution: practical debrief; correlated errors
- Sources of GPS error: theory
- How differential/relative GPS modes work; ambiguities
- Working in the urban environment - geometry and multipath: intro and practical
- Practical debrief and discussion
- Types of coordinates: theory
- Datums and Transformations: theory
- Effect of transformation type: spreadsheet
- Height systems: theory and spreadsheet
- Advanced error sources: theory (height/troposphere, ocean tide loading)
- Network RTK theory
- Good practice for using Network RTK: breakout discussion and feedback
- Testing Network RTK performance
- Industry best practice for Network RTK
- Future developments in GNSS
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is principally aimed at new users of precise GNSS for surveying, and experienced practical GNSS users who would like an increased understanding of how it works and how modern developments in infrastructure have changed the way we use GNSS.
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
- GNSS and Network RTK
- £850.00 (duration 3 days)
We offer a 30 percent discount on this course to full time students and to Newcastle University staff.
[ Back to top of page ]