This course has already been delivered or dates are currently being arranged. Please submit an Expression of Interest if you would like to be notified of future dates.
Intelligent Transport Systems: Technologies, Systems and Implementation
[ Book online ]
- provides an understanding of ITS technology building blocks including communications, databases, location-based services, sensors and human-machine interface (HMI);
- provides an understanding of selected ITS systems including (for example) payment systems, monitoring and sensing, e-logistics, and cooperative systems/UTMC;
- exposes delegates to the latest research into ITS technologies and systems;
- provides delegates with knowledge of ITS in practice through lectures by industry experts;
- equips delegates with the ability to design and implement ITS in future;
- provides a link to the policy and legislative context within which ITS is implemented.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- understand the basic elements of ITS Technologies and Systems;
- describe a wide range of current and advanced ITS technologies and systems;
- apply knowledge from the two outcomes above to understand how new ITS technologies and systems should be developed, implemented, and utilised;
- guide and advise transport authorities and organisations about the effectiveness of existing ITS technologies and systems;
- assess existing ITS technologies and systems, comparing their effectiveness and how they meet needs; and;
- contribute to the design of new ITS technologies and systems and to their real-world implementation.
- Technologies: communications, databases, location-based services, sensors and human-machine interface (HMI);
- Systems: payment systems, monitoring and sensing, e-logistics, and cooperative systems/UTMC;
- Case studies of current systems;
- Case studies of new research.
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is designed to be of value to non-experts and experts alike as it combines introductory material with more detailed instruction that is beneficial to, for example, industry specialists who wish to update their knowledge.
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
- Intelligent Transport Systems: Technologies, Systems and Implementation
We offer a 30 percent discount to full time students and to Newcastle University staff.
The course fee includes tuition, course materials, lunch and refreshments.
Formal assessment may be available for this Course. Assessment attracts an additional fee of £285.00, and delegates will be issued with a transcript and Certificate of Credit Achieved.
Owing to visa restrictions the assessment option is not available to international students outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
It is anticipated that delegates who attend the course will have knowledge/experience equivalent to the content of the following Modules:
Please contact the Professional Development Unit if you require further information.
Academic Module Outline
This course is also delivered as a Module (code CEG8415) on at least one of the School's Masters programmes, the majority of which can be studied part time, making them suitable for those in employment. Delegates will attend with full and part time registered students. The Academic Module Outline is available via the University's Module Catalogue.
[ Back to top of page ]