The day begins with an introductory presentation of the general phenomena of spectroscopy and spectrometry by a member of academic staff.
This is followed by a tour of our facilities and a chance to meet our experts:
- David Dunbar runs the mass spectrometry service
- Dr Corinne Wills in the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance centre
- Dr Zuleykha McMillan for infra-red spectroscopy
- Dr. Mike Probert in the X-ray crystallography suite
After the tour of the building, we run a 30 minute problem solving class. Students get a chance to use their analytical skills to assign spectra and identify unknown compounds.
Approximate timings for a visit are:
- 13.30 to 14.45 in the spectroscopy lecture
- 14.45 to 16.00 for a tour of the spectroscopic facilities
- 16.00 to 16.30 in the problem-solving workshop
Book your visit
These visits are very popular so you'll need to book in advance. Fill in our online form to book your place.
You can also combine a half-day laboratory session with a half-day spectroscopy visit to make a full day event.
For further information, contact us.