Dr Christopher Vernazza
NIHR Clinician Scientist/Clinical Lecturer
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8396
- Address: Child Dental Health
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an academic paediatric dentist researching in the field of health services research, specifically health economics and undertaking clinical higher specialty training in Paediatric Dentistry. I am currently the holder of a prestigious 5 year NIHR funded Clinician Scientist Fellowship investigating the application of economic tools in dental policy making (commissioning) in the NHS (the RAINDROP study). I am also involved in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Follow me on twitter @chrisvernazza
My publications are detailed on the publication tab but the full text for many of these is available in the Newcastle e-prints repository
Roles and Responsibilities
Theme lead for Centre for Oral Health Research Oral Healthcare and Epidemiology Theme
Oral and Dental Specialty Group Lead, NIHR North East and North Cumbria Clinical Research Network
Member, Centre for Oral Health Research Executive and COHR Strategy Group
External Fellows Representative, Newcastle University Clinical Academic Office/Health Education England North East
Reviewer for: Social Science and Medicine, Journal of Dental Research, Journal of Dental Research - Clinical and Translational Research, International Endodontic Journal, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, BMC Oral Health, Community Dental Health, Journal of Dentistry, NIHR (Programme Grants), MRC (New Investigator Grants), ESRC (Knowledge Exchange Opportunities)
Course leader, BDS Paediatric Dentistry Academic Course
Member, Curriculum Committee, MSc in Orthodontics
Board of examiners: BDS Stage 5 (Finals)
- Member, Dental eportfolio working group
- Member, Northern Deanery Foundation Programme/Undergraduate Interface Group
- Chair, Recruitment of paediatric patients for BDS and Hygiene Therapy Working Group
- Dental Students' Society Staff President
- Member, BDS Admissions Panel
Member, British Society of Paediatric Dentistry Policy and Clinical Effectiveness Committee
Member, NHS England Paediatric Dentistry Commissioning Guide Working Group
- Chair & Secretary, British Society of Paediatric Dentistry Northern Branch
- Chair, British Society of Paediatric Dentistry 2012 National Conference Organising Committee
- Member, National Council, British Society of Paediatric Dentistry
- Trainees representative, Northern Deanery Paediatric Dentistry Specialty Training Committee
- Member, Scientific Committee, International Association of Paediatric Dentistry 2015 Congress
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (Sheffield, 2004)
- Member of Faculty of Dental Surgery (RCS Edinburgh, 2006)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Newcastle, 2008)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (2009)
- PhD (Newcastle, 2011)
- Membership in Paediatric Dentistry (RCS England, 2014)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Health Economics (Distinction, U Aberdeen, 2017)
- NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer - Newcastle Dental Hospital/Newcastle University 2011-2015
- Clinical Fellow in Child Dental Health - Newcastle University 2006-11
- General Professional Trainee - Newcastle Dental Hospital and Dental Practice in Gateshead 2004-6
Youth volunteer work as a trustee and leader with Oakley Holidays
My main interest is in applying economic techniques in oral health and the study of decision making in oral health. This involves a variety of work across a wide range of dental disciplines, although the work is concentrated around replacements for missing teeth, root canal treatment (endodontics), periodontal treatment, orthodontics and preventive care. Two key areas of current work are the application of preference based valuations to dental health including using one such measure, willingness to pay (WTP) in the dental context and secondly, using economics based priority setting tools in policy decision making (commissioning).
I also have an interest in applying qualitative methods in understanding dental decision making from both the patient and professional points of view.
Finally, I am involved in dental epidemiology. For example, I am currently involved in the decennial UK Child Dental Health Survey.
National Institute of Health Research, Clinician Scientist Fellowship. RAINDROP:Resource Allocation in NHS Dentistry: Recognition of Societal Preferences. Principal Investigator/Fellowship Holder £1.01 million 2015-2020
National Institute of Health Research, Health Services and Delivery Research programme. The value and cost of different forms of information on oral health status and risk given to patient. Co-Investigator £427,000 2014-7
Theme lead for Centre for Oral Health Research Oral Health Services Research Theme Convenor of Centre for Oral Health Research Events Programme Member, Centre for Oral Health Research Executive and COHR Strategy Group Reviewer for:
- Social Science and Medicine
- Journal of Dental Research
- International Endodontic Journal
- Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology
- BMC Oral Health
- Community Dental Health
- Journal of Dentistry
- NIHR (Programme Grants)
- MRC (New Investigator Grants)
- ESRC (Knowledge Exchange Opportunities)
- MPhil (2013-2017) The impact of oral health risk indicators on prevention uptake (Samridh Sharma)
- PhD (2015-2020) Implementing IV concious sedation for oral surgery in adolescents (Ashleigh Stamp)
- Orthodontic MScs (2016-2019) Willingness to Pay for different aspects of orthodontic treatment (4 students working collaboratively)
- PhD (2012-2017) Economic issues in the provision of interventions seeking to reduce the incidence of caries in the pre-school Chilean population (Raul Palacio)
- Orthodontic MScs (2013-2016) Willingness to Pay for different IOTN levels (6 students working collaboratively)
- Orthodontic MSc: What is the psychosocial impact of dental and orthodontic treatment in patients with cleft lip and palate? (Systematic Review)
- Conscious Sedation in Dentistry MSc: What are dental non-attenders' preferences for anxiety management techniques?
Industrial RelevanceEconomic evaluations are becoming increasingly important for both public and private providers and commissioners of dental care. Additionally, we have worked with developers of new dental technologies in carrying out economic evaluations of emerging treatments.
I am course leader for the academic elements of Paediatric Dentistry on the Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree programme.
I am also involved with clinical, small group and lecture based teaching as well as assessment and examination in the following areas:
- BDS, Key Clinical Skills - Year 2
- BDS, Paediatric Dentistry - Years 3-5
- BDS, Dental Public Health - Years 3-5
In addition, I am personal tutor to several dental students.
Teacher on Orthodontics MSc (Research methods)
Teaching of recently graduated dentists in preparation for Royal College examinations.
- Vernazza CR, Anderson L, Hunter AI, Leck HC, OConnor SD, Smith GR, Stokes RJ, Rolland SL. The value of orthodontics: Do parents’ willingness to pay values reflect the IOTN?. Journal of Dental Research Clinical & Translational Research 2017. In Press.
- McCracken GI, Asuni A, Ritchie M, Vernazza CR, Heasman PA. Failing to meet the goals of periodontal recall programs. What next?. Periodontology 2000 2017, 75(1), 330-352.
- Tan SHX, Vernazza CR, Nair R. Critical Review of Willingness to Pay for Clinical Oral Health Interventions. Journal of Dentistry 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Stamp AJ, Dorman ML, Vernazza CR, Deeming G, Reid C, Wilson KE, Girdler NM. Can intravenous conscious sedation with midazolam be effective at facilitating surgical dentistry in adolescent orthodontic patients? A service evaluation. British Dental Journal 2017, 222(2), 113-119.
- Rolland SL, Treasure E, Burden DJ, Fuller E, Vernazza CR. The orthodontic condition of children in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 2013. British Dental Journal 2016, 221(7), 415-419.
- Vernazza CR, Rolland SL, Chadwick B, Pitts N. Caries experience, the caries burden and associated factors in children in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 2013. British Dental Journal 2016, 221(6), 315-320.
- Murray JJ, Vernazza CR, Holmes RD. Forty Years of National Surveys: An overview of children's dental health from 1973-2013. British Dental Journal 2015, 219(6), 281-285.
- Vernazza CR, Wildman JR, Steele JG, Whitworth JM, Walls AWG, Perry R, Matthews R, Hahn P, Donaldson C. Factors affecting patient valuations of caries prevention: using and validating the willingness to pay method. Journal of Dentistry 2015, 43(8), 981-988.
- Holmes R, Porter J, Vernazza C, Tsakos G, Ryan R, Dennes M. Children’s Dental Health Survey 2013. Country specific report: England. Health and Social Care Information Centre, 2015.
- Porter J, Holmes R, Vernazza C, Chadwick B, Ryan R, Dennes M. Children’s Dental Health Survey 2013. Country specific report: Wales. Health and Social Care Information Centre, 2015.
- Harding A, Vernazza CR, Wilson K, Harding J, Girdler NM. What are dental non-attenders’ preferences for anxiety management techniques? A cross-sectional study based at a dental access centre. British Dental Journal 2015, 218(7), 415-421.
- Vernazza CR, Steele JG, Whitworth JM, Wildman JR, Donaldson C. Factors affecting direction and strength of patient preferences for treatment of molar teeth with non-vital pulps. International Endodontic Journal 2015, 48(12), 1137-1146.
- Vernazza CR, Rousseau N, Steele JG, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Eastham J, Exley C. Introducing high-cost health care to patients: dentists' accounts of offering dental implant treatment. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2015, 43(1), 75-85.
- Field J, Vernazza C. Developing a grading matrix for reflection. Medical Education 2013, 47(5), 531.
- Vernazza C, Heasman P, Gaunt F, Pennington M. How to measure the cost-effectiveness of periodontal treatments. Periodontology 2000 2012, 60(1), 138-146.
- Heasman P, Vernazza C, Gaunt F, Pennington M. Cost-effectiveness of adjunctive antimicrobials in the treatment of periodontitis. Periodontology 2000 2011, 55(1), 217-230.
- Pennington M, Heasman PA, Gaunt F, Güntsch A, Ivanovski S, Imazato S, Rajapakse S, Allen E, Flemmig T, Sanz M, Vernazza CR. The cost-effectiveness of supportive periodontal care: a global perspective. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2011, 38(6), 553.
- Vernazza C, Durham J, Ellis J, Teasdale D, Cotterill S, Scott L, Thomason M, Drummond P, Moss J. Introduction of an e-portfolio in clinical dentistry: Staff and student views. European Journal of Dental Education 2011, 15(1), 36-41.
- Cotterill S, Horner P, Teasdale D, Ellis J, Thomason JM, Vernazza C, Bradley PM, Peterson J, Skelly G, Ball S. Effective embedding and integration of ePortfolios in medical and dental curricula. International Journal of Clinical Skills 2011, 5, 18-23.
- Pennington MW, Vernazza CR, Shackley P, Armstrong NT, Whitworth JM, Steele JG. Evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of root canal treatment using conventional approaches versus replacement with an implant. International Endodontic Journal 2009, 42(10), 874-883.
- Pennington MW, Vernazza CR, Heasman PA. Making the leap from cost analysis to cost-effectiveness: Guest editorial. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2009, 36(8), 667-668.
- Gaunt F, Devine M, Pennington MW, Vernazza CR, Gwynett E, Steen N, Heasman PA. The cost-effectiveness of supportive periodontal care for patients with chronic periodontitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2008, 35(s8), 67-82.
- Ellis J, Teasdale DW, Vernazza C, Cotterill SJ, Drummond P, Moss JD, Scott L, Thomason M. Effective use of ePortfolios and mobile technologies to support learning and assessment in Dentistry. In: ePortfolios, identity and personalised learning in healthcare education. 2008, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: HE Academy MEDEV Subject Centre.
- Vernazza CR, Mayanja BN, Mugisha JO, Van der Paal L, Young CJ, Robinson PG. The value of training doctors in the diagnosis of oral manifestations of HIV. Journal of Disability and Oral Health 2007, 8(2), 81-85.