Dr Matthew German
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3928
- Address: Dental Materials Unit
School of Dental Sciences
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
B.Eng (Hons) Liverpool
Research Assistant - IRC in Biomedical Materials, Queen Mary, University of London (1999)
Research Associate - Depts of Physics and Biological Science, Lancaster University (2000 - 2006)
Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
International Association for Dental Research
Scanned Probe Microscopy
Dental Materials to dental undergraduates through lecture programme and practical course
Dental Materials to MClinDent in Restorative Dentistry students.
- Partridge SW, Benning MJ, German MJ, Dalgarno KW. Development of an arthroscopically compatible polymer additive layer manufacture technique. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine 2017, 231(6), 586-594.
- Field JC, Waterhouse PJ, German MJ. The early erosive and abrasive challenge: a profilometric, electron microscopic and microhardness study using human, bovine and ovine enamel. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2017, 25, 1-8. In Press.
- Mutahar M, Carpenter G, Bartlett D, German M, Moazzez R. The presence of acquired enamel pellicle changes acid-induced erosion from dissolution to a softening proces. Scientific Reports 2017, 7(1), 10920.
- Upson SJ, Partridge SW, Tcacencu I, Fulton DA, Corbett I, German MJ, Dalgarno KW. Development of a methacrylate-terminated PLGA copolymer for potential use in craniomaxillofacial fracture plates. Materials Science and Engineering C 2016, 69, 470-477.
- Yassin SA, German MJ, Rolland SL, Rickard AH, Jakubovics NS. Inhibition of multispecies biofilms by a fluoride-releasing dental prosthesis copolymer. Journal of Dentistry 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Field J, Al-Bazaranchi T, German M, McCracken G. Management of Fractured Resin Composites by Dentists in North-East England. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session 2017. 2016, San Francisco, California: IADR.
- Field JC, German MJ, Waterhouse PJ. The erosive/abrasive challenge of bovine, human and ovine enamel. In: 93rd General Session & Exhibition of the International Association for Dental Research. 2015, Boston, MA: The International Association for Dental Research (IADR).
- German MJ, Osei-Bempong C, Knuth CA, Deehan DJ, Oldershaw RA. Investigating the biological response of human mesenchymal stem cells to titanium surfaces. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research 2014, 9, 135.
- Field J, German M, Waterhouse P. Qualifying the lapped enamel surface: a profilometric, electron microscopic and microhardness study using human, bovine and ovine enamel. Archives of Oral Biology 2014, 59(5), 455-460.
- Steele AC, German MJ, Haas J, Lambert G, Meechan JG. An in vitro investigation of the effect of bevel design on the penetration and withdrawal forces of dental needles. Journal of Dentistry 2013, 41(2), 164-169.
- Wren AW, Coughlan A, Hall MM, German MJ, Towler MR. Comparison of a SiO2–CaO–ZnO–SrO glass polyalkenoate cement to commercial dental materials: ion release, biocompatibility and antibacterial properties. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2013, 24(9), 2255-2264.
- Field J, German M, Waterhouse P. Using bearing area parameters to quantify early erosive tooth surface changes in enamel: a pilot study. Journal of Dentistry 2013, 41(11), 1060-1067.
- Khan SF, Dalgarno KW, German MJ. Using additive manufactured tooling in the fabrication of poly (L-Lactide-co-Glycolide) implants. In: 5th International Conference on Advanced Research and Rapid Prototyping. 2012, Leiria, Portugal: CRC Press.
- Field J, Waterhouse P, German M. A rough idea? An alternative method for describing early erosive surface change. Journal of Applied Oral Science 2010, 18(5), 7.
- Lewis G, Towler MR, Boyd D, German MJ, Wren AW, Clarkin OM, Yates A. Evaluation of two novel aluminum-free, zinc-based glass polyalkenoate cements as alternatives to PMMA bone cement for use in vertebroplasty and balloon kyphoplasty. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2010, 21(1), 59-66.
- Lewis G, Towler M, Madigan S, German M. Influence of a novel radiopacifier (nano-sized strontia particles) on in vitro properties of a PMMA bone cement for use in total joint replacements. International Journal of Nano and Biomaterials 2010, 3(1), 78-93.
- Field J, Waterhouse P, German M. Quantifying and qualifying surface changes on dental hard tissues in vitro. Journal of Dentistry 2010, 38(3), 182-190.
- Rolland SL, Walls AWG, McCabe JF, German MJ. Use of micro-Raman spectroscopy to investigate hybrid layer quality in demineralized root dentine. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B: Applied Biomaterials 2010, 95B(1), 62-68.
- German MJ, Carrick TE, McCabe JF. Surface detail reproduction of elastomeric impression materials related to rheological properties. Dental Materials 2008, 24(7), 951-956.
- Walsh MJ, Singh MN, Pollock HM, Cooper LJ, German MJ, Stringfellow HF, Fullwood NJ, Paraskevaidis E, Martin-Hirsch PL, Martin FL. ATR microspectroscopy with multivariate analysis segregates grades of exfoliative cervical cytology. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2007, 352(1), 213-219.
- Masad A, Hayes L, Tabner BJ, Turnbull S, Cooper LJ, Fullwood NJ, German MJ, Kametani F, El-Agnaf OMA, Allsop D. Copper-mediated formation of hydrogen peroxide from the amylin peptide: A novel mechanism for degeneration of islet cells in type-2 diabetes mellitus?. FEBS Letters 2007, 581(18), 3489-3493.
- Martin FL, German MJ, Wit E, Fearn T, Ragavan N, Pollock HM. Identifying variables responsible for clustering in discriminant analysis of data from infrared microspectroscopy of a biological sample. Journal of Computational Biology 2007, 14(9), 1176-1184.
- Walsh MJ, German MJ, Singh M, Pollock HM, Hammiche A, Kyrgiou M, Stringfellow HF, Paraskevaidis E, Martin-Hirsch PL, Martin FL. IR microspectroscopy: potential applications in cervical cancer screening. Cancer Letters 2007, 246(1-2), 1-11.
- Shelton R, Liu Y, Cooper P, Gbureck U, German MJ, Barralet J. Bone marrow cell gene expression and tissue construct assembly using octacalcium phosphate microscaffolds. Biomaterials 2006, 27(14), 2874-2881.
- German M, Pollock H, Zhao B, Tobin M, Hammiche A, Bentley A, Cooper L, Martin F, Fullwood N. Characterization of putative stem cell populations in the cornea using synchrotron infrared microspectroscopy. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 2006, 47(6), 2417-2421.
- Walsh MJ, German MJ, Pollock HM, Hammiche A, Singh M, Kyrgiou M, Stringfellow H, Paraskevaidis E, Martin-Hirsch PL, Martin FL. Discrimination of exfoliative cytology samples employing ATR-FTIR microspectroscopy. In: Mutagenesis: 29th Annual Meeting of the United Kingdom Environmental Mutagen Society. 2006, Warwick, UK: Oxford University Press.
- German MJ, Hammiche A, Ragavan N, Tobin M, Cooper L, Matanhelia S, Hindley A, Nicholson C, Fullwood N, Pollock H, Martin F. Infrared spectroscopy with multivariate analysis potentially facilitates the segregation of different types of prostate cell. Biophysical Journal 2006, 90(10), 3783-3795.
- Dewar RJ, Ash DC, German MJ, Joyce MJ. Practical considerations of the QCM as a viscometer within the food industry: Performance deterioration with repeated use and surface roughness. Journal of Food Engineering 2006, 75(4), 461-468.
- Cooper LJ, Kinoshita S, German MJ, Koizumi N, Nakamura T, Fullwood NJ. An investigation into the composition of amniotic membrane used for ocular surface reconstruction. Cornea 2005, 24(6), 722-729.
- Tabner BJ, El-Agnaf OM, Turnbull S, German MJ, Paleologou KE, Hayashi Y, Cooper LJ, Fullwood NJ, Allsop D. Hydrogen peroxide is generated during the very early stages of aggregation of the amyloid peptides implicated in Alzheimer disease and familial British dementia. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2005, 280(43), 35789-35792.
- Hammiche A, German MJ, Hewitt R, Pollock HM, Martin FL. Monitoring Cell Cycle Distributions in MCF-7 Cells Using Near-Field Photothermal Microspectroscopy. Biophysical Journal 2005, 88(5), 3699-3706.
- Tabner BJ, El-Agnaf OMA, German MJ, Fullwood NJ, Allsop D. Protein aggregation, metals and oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases. Biochemical Society Transactions 2005, 33(5), 1082-1086.
- Rimmer S, German MJ, Maughan J, Sun Y, Fullwood N, Ebdon J, MacNeil S. Synthesis and properties of amphiphilic networks 3: preparation and characterization of block conetworks of poly(butyl methacrylateblock-(2,3 propandiol-1-methacrylate-stat-ethandiol dimethacrylate)). Biomaterials 2005, 26(15), 2219-2230.
- Tabner BJ, Turnbull S, Fullwood N, German MJ, Allsop D. The production of hydrogen peroxide during early-stage protein aggregation: a common pathological mechanism in different neurodegenerative diseases?. Biochemical Society Transactions 2005, 33(4), 548-550.
- Pillay I, Lyons D, German MJ, Lawson NS, Pollock HM, Saunders J, Chowdhury S, Moran P, Towler MR. The use of fingernails as a means of assessing bone health: a pilot study. Journal of Women's Health 2005, 14(4), 339-344.
- Rimmer S, Maughan J, MacNeil S, German M, Yun S, Fullwood N. Amphiphilic copolymer glycerol methacrylate networks: Synthesis and biointeractions. In: Transactions: 7th World Biomaterials Congress. 2004, Sydney, Australia: Australian Society for Biomaterials.
- Hammiche A, Bozec L, German MJ, Chalmers JM, Everall NJ, Poulter G, Reading M, Grandy DB, Martin FL, Pollock HM. Mid-infrared microspectroscopy of difficult samples using near-field photothermal microspectroscopy. Spectroscopy 2004, 19(2), 20-42.
- Towler MR, Moran P, Chowdhury S, German MJ, Lawson NS, Pollock HM, Saunders J, Pillay I, Lyons D. Preliminary work on the development of a novel detection method for osteoporosis. In: Transactions: 7th World Biomaterials Congress. 2004, Sydney, Australia: Australian Society for Biomaterials.
- Hammiche A, Bozec L, Pollock HM, German MJ, Reading M. Progress in near-field photothermal infra-red microspectroscopy. Journal of Microscopy 2004, 213(2), 129-134.
- Pillay I, Lyons D, German MJ, Lawson NS, Pollock HM, Saunders J, Chowdhury S, Moran P, Towler MR. The use of fingernail as a means of assessing bone health; A pilot study. Osteoporosis International 2004, 15(Supplement 2), S23.
- D. Wong,R. L. Williams,M. J. German. Exchange of perfluorodecalin for gas or oil: a model for avoiding slippage. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 1998, 236(3), 234-7.