Application Process - Non-EU

(For EU/Erasmus Application Process click here)

Firstly, before deciding on doing an exchange it is important to research which universities offer your course and which you think will offer you the best study abroad experience. Newcastle University offers the chance to study in a wide range of subject areas at universities from all around the world. All courses are taught in English apart from those at universities in Japan, China and Hong Kong. Here is a link to the study abroad website where you can see which subjects can be studied at which universities:

Just in case you are confused (I know I was) HaSS stands for Humanities and Social Sciences and therefore incorporates the schools of: Architecture, Planning and Landscape, Arts and Cultures, Business, Education, Communication and Language Sciences, English Literature, Language and Linguistics, Geography, Politics and Sociology, History, Classics and Archaeology, Modern Languages, Law.

SAgE stands for Science, Agriculture and Engineering and therefore incorporates the schools of:  Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Biology, Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials, Chemistry, Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Computing Science, Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, Marine Science and Technology, Mathematics and Statistics, Mechanical and Systems Engineering

Information on specific modules available can be found on the host Universities’ websites.

It is also important to note that you will have to sort out your own accommodation for when you arrive, the international office does not do this for you. Details about student accommodation can also be found on the host Universities’ websites.

Finally, to participate in the Newcastle University Non EU Exchange you need to be a national of an EU or EEA country. If you are an undergraduate student, you must have successfully completed the first year of your degree programme before you can participate.

Remember, you can only apply to one institution!

Application Process Part 1

After you have chosen your partner institution you will need to make an appointment with your schools exchange coordinator, which for Combined Honours is Colin Bryson ( You will need to look at the modules which are available to you at your chosen partner institution, and discuss these with the School Exchange Coordinator, to ensure that they meet the requirements of your degree programme, in order that you can transfer your attained credits back to Newcastle.

After you have discussed your options with Colin, providing everything is ok, you will then need to complete a Newcastle University Non EU Exchange Programme Nomination Form. These can be picked up from the King’s Gate Building Level two. The form needs to be completed and then signed by Colin, and has to be submitted to the International Office by the end of January of that academic year.

The programme does not run on a first come first serve basis though some institutions have limited places. All potential participants are reviewed after the submission deadline on the basis of the academic advice given by the School Exchange Co-coordinator (Colin Bryson). Don‘t panic! This does not mean you need to be averaging a first in your studies; you just need to show that you would be capable of studying abroad without seriously hindering the overall result of your degree.

Application Process Part 2

For the second part of the application process, you will need to apply to your chosen host institution. You will do this with the help of the International Office. The International Office will provide you with the necessary application documents, and help you through the process of completing them. It is the International Office who will nominate you as an Exchange student to the host institution, and liaise with them with regard to your application. You will need to be aware that as part of the application to the host institution you will be asked to provide evidence of the financial support which is available to you, and in some case you will also need to provide health certificates.

The host institution will send all acceptance documents and Visa application documents to the International Office, who will then pass them on to you.


The Non EU Exchange Programme is self-funded; there are no scholarships available to support you during your participation. It is estimated that in order to participate, you would need an extra minimum of £2500 - £3000 available, on top of the amount of money you would have needed were you to remain on the Newcastle Campus. This extra money is to cover the costs you will incur for things such as long haul flights, obtaining a Student Visa for the country to which you are going, and in some cases, paying administration or Health Insurance costs which some of our partner institutions are legally obliged to charge you. It is also important to remember that the nightlife in other countries may also be more expensive than the UK, so if you are planning on going out a lot you should take that into consideration.

Some countries, such as Japan and Australia, are far more expensive than others, so you will need to research the cost of living in your chosen country to ensure that you have enough funding to support you during your stay. Many of our partner institutions have this type of information on their websites to help students budget for their stay.