The programme extends over three years full-time. If you are taking a language (Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese or Spanish and Latin American Studies) you will be expected to spend an intercalating year abroad between Stages 2 and 3, making four years in all.
The academic year is divided into two semesters, although traditional Christmas and Easter vacations are retained. Modules may be assessed throughout the year or at the end of the semester in which they are offered, though some subjects delay all assessment until the end of the academic year.
Students choose to combine two or three subjects at Stage 1 and must continue with at least two of them throughout the remainder of the degree. Please note that if you wish to study a combination of two subjects which form an existing Joint Degree at Newcastle you should apply directly to that degree rather than Combined Honours.
Modules are taken to a value of 120 credits in each Stage, for example:
- Three-subject entry: combining three subjects equally
- Example: History (40 credits) + Politics (40 credits) + Sociology (40 credits) = 120 credit
- Two-subject entry: concentrating on two subjects
- Example: History (60 credits) + Sociology (60 credits) = 120 credits
Stages 2 and 3
- Combined route: continuing to combine all three subjects from Stage 1 equally
Only available to three-subject entry students
Students who study three subjects at Stage 2 and the final Stage are awarded the Degree of BA Combined Honours in X, Y and Z.
- Example; History (40 credits) + Politics (40 credits) + Sociology (40 credits) = 120 credits.
- Joint route: studying two subjects from Stage 1 in equal proportions
Students who study two subjects X and Y equally shall be awarded the Degree of BA Combined Honours in X and Y.
- Example: History (60 credits) + Sociology (60 credits) = 120 credits.
- Major/minor route: studying two subjects from Stage 1 in different proportions
- Example: History (80 credits) + Sociology (40 credits) = 120 credits.
Students who study two subjects, majoring in one, shall be awarded the Degree of BA Combined Honours in X with Y.