My master publications list.
Note that the list that you can reach from the "Publication" tab on this page is not entirely under my control, and I do not take responsibility for it.
My core expertise is in Information Management, with applications mainly to e-science. Specific interests:
scientific workflow technology and its applications (Taverna, e-Science Central); provenance of data; bioinformatics; data analytics for HAR (Human Activity Recognition).
Current and recently completed research projects:
- Generation of large synthetic provenance graphs for benchmarking provenance management systems (with Mr. Hugo Firth, PhD student)
- Abstraction in provenance: PI, "Trusted Dynamic Coalitions" project (EPSRC/DSTL), 2012-2013, investigating provenance-based policies for information exchanges amongst partners with limited trust.
- Member, W3C Working Group on Provenance on the Web, 2011-2013.
- Co-lead, Scientific Workflow and Provenance Working Group, DataONE project (NSF, 2010-present).
Bioinformatics: exome-based genetic testing:
- PI, Cloud e-Genome (2013-2015). Large-scale cloud-based deployment of 2nd Gen Sequencing analysis pipelines for exome variant analysis and interpretation. Funded by the NIHR/BioMedical Research Council, in collaboration with the Institute of Genetic Medicine at Newcastle University;
Learning and data analytics.
- CO-I, Hazard perception study (2013-2014). Pilot project aimed at developing models of drivers' behaviour using a variety of body and car sensors, with a view to enable personalized interventions for safer driving, aimed specifically at older/more vulnerable drivers.
(a much more recent interest):
- Online learning for Human Activity Recognition (with Mr. Tudor Miu, 3rd year PhD student)
Past history, in brief:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Manchester, UK (2007), M.Sc. in Computer Science from University of Houston, Tx., USA (1993), B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Computer Science from Universita' di Udine, Italy (1990).
CSC2024 - Database Technology (stage 2)
CSC8101 Big Data Analytics, M.Sc. CS