Dr Austin Toombs
- Email: email@example.com
I’m a Research Associate at Newcastle University in Open Lab studying the impact of digital technologies on interpersonal, community, and social care. I am particularly interested in the formation and maintenance of communities whose infrastructures rely heavily on socio-technical systems.
In previous research I have studied maker and hacker communities, and I’ve used care ethics as a methodological lens to uncover the ways in which individuals formulate identities as makers, hackers, and expert amateurs through participating within their particular community contexts. In my dissertation, I worked to explicate the tensions that exist between the values supported by the rhetoric that pervades hacker culture, and the tacitly enacted values of collaboration and care.
My PhD is in Human Computer Interaction Design from the School of Informatics and Computing at Indiana University, with a minor in Inquiry Methodology. My BSc is in Computer Science from Ball State University and my MSc is in Human Computer Interaction Design from Indiana University.
- Toombs A, Gross S, Bardzell S, Bardzell J. From Empathy to Care: A Feminist Care Ethics Perspective on Long-Term Researcher-Subject Relations. Interacting with Computers 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Gray CM, Toombs A, McKay C. Meaning Reconstruction as an Approach to Analyze Critical Dimensions of HCI Research. In: CHI EA '16: CHI'16 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2016, San Jose: ACM Press.
- Gray CM, Toombs A, Gross S. Flow of Competency in UX Design Practice. In: CHI’15: Proceedings of the 2015 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2015, ACM Press.
- Toombs A, Bardzell S, Bardzell J. The Proper Care and Feeding of Hackerspaces: Care Ethics and Cultures of Making . In: CHI’15: Proceedings of the 2015 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2015, ACM Press.
- Bardzell J, Bardzell S, Toombs A. "Now that's definitely a proper hack": Self-made Tools in Hackerspaces. In: CHI’14: Proceedings of the 2014 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2014, ACM Press.
- Toombs A, Bardzell S, Bardzell J. Becoming Makers: Hackerspace Member Habits, Values, and Identities. Journal of Peer Production 2014.
- Pace T, Toombs A, Gross S, Pattin T, Bardzell J, Bardzell S. A tribute to Mad Skill: Expert Amateur Visuality and World of Warcraft Machinima. In: CHI’13: Proceedings of the 2013 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2013, ACM Press.
- Bardzell S, Gross S, Wain J, Toombs A, Bardzell J. The significant screwdriver: care, domestic masculinity, and interaction design. In: Proceedings of the 25th BCS Conference on Human-Computer Interaction. 2011, British Computer Society. In Preparation.
- Gestwicki P, Haddad A, Toombs A, Sun F. An experience report and analysis of Java technologies in undergraduate game programming courses. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges 2009, 25(1), 102-108.