Professor Chris Phillips
Professor and SAgE Director of Diversity
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 85875
Chris joined Newcastle in 1984 after working for five years in the Computing Studies Department at Hull University, and before that in the Statistics and Computational Mathematics Department at Liverpool University, where he also gained his BSc, MSc and PhD. Chris' background is as a numerical analyst/computational scientist. Chris is currently based in the School of Computing Science, but also holds an appointment as the SAgE Faculty Director of Diversity. Before this Chris was Head of Academic Operations Singapore; SAgE Faculty Dean of Undergraduate Studies; and Director of Teaching, Degree Programme Director for all undergraduate programmes, and coordinator of the Active Learning in Computing Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the School of Computing Science. Chris has extensive experience of leading TEMPUS/Erasmus+ programmes - currently active are CABRIOLET (http://my-cabriolet.eu/) and ALIOT (http://aliot.eu.org/), working with universities in Ukraine and Italy, Portugal, Sweden and the UK. Chris is a Chartered IT Professional and a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Phillips C, Devlin M. Helping Students Understand Programming through Active Learning. In: Tenth International Workshop on Active Learning in Engineering Education. 2011, Santiago, Chile: Escuela de Ingenieria Universidad de Chile.
- Devlin M, Phillips C. Assessing Competency in Undergraduate Software Engineering Teams. In: IEEE Education Engineering Conference (EDUCON). 2010, Madrid, Spain: Universidad Politecnica de Madrid.
- Starov O, Kharchenko V, Sklyar V, Phillips C. Hacking the innovations with university-industry hackathons. In: University-Industry Interaction Conference 2015, Berlin. 2016. In Preparation.
- Kharchenko V, Sklyar V, Gorbenko A, Phillips C. Green Computing and communications in critical application domains: challenges and solutions. In: IEEE 2013 International Conference on Digital Technologies (DT 2013). 2013.
- Boyarchuk A, Kharchenko V, Phillips C. National network of centres of innovative academia-industry handshaking: from critical computing to safety engineering. In: ICEE-2011, Belfast, Northern Ireland. 2011.
- Bolsunovskaya LM, Kemerova NS, Phillips C. Educational technology of resource-efficient language training of mining engineers. Gornyi Zhurnal 2017, (4), 98-103.