Dr Jason Steggles
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 191 208 8035
Jason Steggles studied for the degree of PhD in theoretical computer science at the Department of Computer Science, Univerversity of Wales, Swansea. He is currently a senior lecturer in the School of Computing Science at the University of Newcastle. He is a member of the Modelling and Reasoning research group (AMBER) and the Centre for Software Reliability (CSR) at Newcastle, and has strong links to the Dependability research group. He is also an active member of the ASL (Asynchronous Systems Lab) and Bioinformatics research themes.
Jason's research interests centre around the development and application of formal methods to modelling and reasoning about computing systems. This has involved developing techniques and tools based on higher-order algebraic methods to verify stream processing systems (e.g. systolic and dataflow devices, real-time systems, and families of computing devices). Jason has also been investigating applying formal techniques to biological networks and has developed a range of Petri net models and tools which can be used to model and analyse genetic regulatory networks.
My research interests centre on the development and application of formal techniques and tools for modelling and understanding computer systems. This work has involved investigating the development of formal techniques to model and analyse biological systems and in particular, I have worked on applying Petri nets to modelling genetic regulatory networks. I have also worked extensively with algebraic techniques and recent work has focused on using rewriting logic as a semantic framework for analysing concurrent, mobile systems.
Associated research related activities:
· MeCBIC programme committee
· CONCUR Workshop co-chair
· Petri Nets and ACSD 2011 Publicity Chair
I teach the following modules:
- CSC1025: Mathematics for Computer Science
- CSC2023: Algorithm Design and Analysis
- CSC8499: MSc in Advanced Computer Science Project
The following is a list of my teaching related administrative duties:
- Chair of the Taught Postgraduate Board of Examiners
- Chair of the Taught Postgraduate Personal Extenuating Circumstance (PEC) Committee
- Degree Programme Director for MSc in Advanced Computer Science
- Admissions Officer for MSc in Advanced Computer Science
- Member of the School Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee
- Ciobanu G, Koutny M, Steggles J. Strategy based semantics for mobility with time and access permissions. Formal Aspects of Computing 2015, 27(3), 525-549.
- Jones CB, Lovert MJ, Steggles LJ. Revising basic theorem proving algorithms to cope with the logic of partial functions. Science of Computer Programming 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Banks R, Steggles LJ. An abstraction theory for qualitative models of biological systems. Theoretical Computer Science 2012, 431, 207-218.
- Steggles J. Abstracting Asynchronous Multi-Valued Networks. Scientific Annals of Computer Science 2011, 21(2), 249-282.
- Banks R, Khomenko V, Steggles LJ. Modelling Genetic Regulatory Networks. In: Koch, I., Reisig, W., Schreiber, R, ed. Modelling in Systems Biology: the Petri Net Approach. London: Springer-Verlag, 2010, pp.73-100.
- Banks R, Steggles LJ. An Abstraction Theory for Qualitative Models of Biological Systems. Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science 2010, 40, 23-38.
- Banks R, Khomenko V, Steggles LJ. A Case for Using Signal Transition Graphs for Analysing and Refining Genetic Networks. In: Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science: Second International Meeting on Membrane Computing and Biologically Inspired Process Calculi (MeCBIC). 2009, Iasi, Romania: Elsevier B.V.
- Banks R, Steggles LJ. A High-Level Petri Net Framework for Genetic Regulatory Networks. Journal of Integrative Bioinformatics 2007, 4(3), 60.
- Steggles LJ, Banks R, Shaw O, Wipat A. Qualitatively modelling and analysing genetic regulatory networks: A Petri net approach. Bioinformatics 2007, 23(3), 336-343.
- Shaw O, Steggles J, Wipat A. Automatic Parameterisation of Stochastic Petri Net Models of Biological Networks. In: Second International Workshop on the Practical Application of Stochastic Modeling (PASM 2005). 2006, Newcastle upon Tyne: Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science: Elsevier BV.
- Steggles LJ, Banks R, Wipat A. Modelling and analysing genetic networks: From Boolean networks to Petri nets. In: Computational Methods in Systems Biology: International Conference (CMSB 2006). 2006, Trento, Italy: Springer-Verlag.
- Steggles LJ. Verifying an infinite systolic algorithm using third-order equational methods. Journal of Logic and Algebraic Programming 2006, 69(1-2), 75-92.
- Shaw OJ, Harwood C, Steggles LJ, Wipat A. SARGE: A tool for creation of putative genetic networks. Bioinformatics 2004, 20(18), 3638-3640.
- Meinke K, Steggles LJ. Correctness of dataflow and systolic algorithms using algebras of streams. Acta Informatica 2001, 38(1), 45-88.
- Steggles LJ. Rewriting Logic and Elan: Prototyping Tools for Petri Nets with Time. In: Application and Theory of Petri Nets 2001: 22nd International Conference (ICATPN 2001). 2001, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Springer-Verlag.
- Steggles LJ, Kosiuczenko P. Formal model for SDL specifications based on Timed Rewriting Logic. Automated Software Engineering 2000, 7(1), 61-90.
- Steggles LJ. Specifying and verifying real-time systems using second-order algebraic methods: A case study of the railroad crossing controller. Journal of Universal Computer Science 2000, 6(4), 460-473.
- Steggles LJ. Specifying and Verifying Real-Time Systems using Second-Order Algebraic Methods: A Case Study of the Railroad Crossing Controller. Newcastle upon Tyne: Department of Computing Science, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2000. Department of Computing Science Technical Report Series 697.
- Steggles LJ, Kosiuczenko P. A Timed Rewriting Logic Semantics for SDL: A Case Study of the Alternating Bit Protocol. In: International Workshop on Rewriting Logic and its Applications. 1998, Abbaye des Prémontrés at Pont-à-Mousson, France: Elsevier Science.
- Steggles LJ, Kosiuczenko P. A Timed Rewriting Logic Semantics for SDL: A Case Study of the Alternating Bit Protocol. Newcastle upon Tyne: Department of Computing Science, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1998. Department of Computing Science Technical Report Series 657.
- Steggles LJ. Parameterised Higher-Order Algebraic Specifications. In: 6th International Joint Conference on Algebraic and Logic Programming (ALP '97 - HOA '97). 1997, Southampton, UK: Springer-Verlag.
- Steggles LJ, Wirsing M. Formal Software and Hardware Development: A Case Study in the Use of CSDM, SPECTRUM and HOLCF. Newcastle upon Tyne: Department of Computing Science, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1996. Department of Computing Science Technical Report Series 551.
- Steggles LJ. Higher-Order Algebra with Transfinite Types. In: Higher-Order Algebra, Logic, and Term Rewriting: 2nd International Workshop (HOA '95). 1996, Paderborn, Germany: Springer-Verlag.
- Meinke K, Steggles LJ. Specification and Verification in Higher Order Algebra: A Case Study of Convolution. In: Higher-Order Algebra, Logic, and Term Rewriting: 1st International Workshop (HOA '93). 1994, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Springer-Verlag.
- Jones CB, Lovert MJ, Steggles LJ. A Semantic Analysis of Logics that Cope with Partial Terms. Newcastle upon Tyne: School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2012. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series 1310.
- Ciobanu G, Koutny M, Steggles J. A Timed Mobility Semantics based on Rewriting Strategies. Newcastle upon Tyne: School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2012. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series 1341.
- Ciobanu G, Koutny M, Steggles LJ. A Timed Mobility Semantics Based on Rewriting Strategies. In: Software Engineering and Formal Methods: 10th International Conference, SEFM 2012. 2012, Thessaloniki, Greece: Springer.