Senior Computing Officer (SAgE - Computing Science)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 191 208 4927
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5016
- Address: Room 6.40
School of Computing Science
John is currently Head of the IT Support team for the School of Computing Science within SAgE. Working closely with the School Manager, professional support and academic staff both from within the School and the wider SAgE Faculty along with colleagues from the central NUIT teams, the School IT Support team design, deliver and support a wide range of IT infrastructure and solutions key to the running of the School and the delivery of high quality teaching and research.
He previously lead the infrastructure team within Learning Technologies for Medical Sciences, having worked there for over 10 years, providing the server, data and network infrastructure used by the School and the Faculty both in Newcastle and NUMed Malaysia.
John lead the LTMS team in the area of data manipulation and processing; utilising corporate data to drive teaching and learning focussed systems and technologies on behalf of users throughout the School, Faculty and wider University.
- Introduction to Information Systems Security - Foundation Course - QinetiQ (2003).
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science - University of Teeside (2001). Final year modules comprising Operating Systems Design, Computer Systems Architecture and Distributed Systems. Johns final year project was a multi-threaded Voice Over IP application written for both Silicon Graphics workstations and the Linux sound system using ADPCM and MP3 compression technology.
- Senior Computing Officer - School of Computing Science, 2014 - 2015.
- Infrastructure Co-ordinator - Medical Sciences Education Development, 2011 - 2014.
- IT Support Specialist - Medical Sciences Education Development, Newcastle University. 2003 - 2011
- Network/Systems Consultant & co-author and facilitator of 'Linux - Hands On' training course to the National High Tech Crime Unit - QinetiQ, Malvern, Worcestershire. 2001 - 2003.
- Network Engineer/Support, first and second line technical support - Defence Evaluation & Research Agency, Malvern, Worcestershire. 1999 - 2000.
- High performance, classic and modified cars, rally driving & track days.
- Vintage computers and video game systems.