Professor Nick Holliman
Professor of Visualization
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I research the science and engineering of data visualization, investigating how big data and the results of big data analytics can be presented to people effectively by exploiting the power of cloud computing. This requires an understanding of human perception and cognition, methods for data representation and analysis, and the interactive media interface between the two that helps create knowledge and insight.
I currently run taught courses on data visualization in the UK at the Digital Institute and at the Thinking Digital conference, and overseas at our Singapore campus that teach how to effectively use visualization and BI tools.
I have a particular interest in stereoscopic visualization and all things 3D, you can find examples of these and other research from my team in the Digital Institute at Newcastle here http://portfolio.di-projects.net
I am currently co-chair of the IS&T Stereoscopic Displays and Applications conference which is held annually in Silicon Valley.
A comprehensive list of my academic publications and commercial patents is available from Google Scholar https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=FlvdEbYAAAAJ&hl=en
I am a member of the ACM, the IEEE Computer Society and am a fellow of the Royal Statistical Society.
- Godwin H, Holliman NS, Menneer T, Liversedge S, Cave K, Donnelly N. Assessing the benefits of stereoscopic displays to visual search: methodology and initial findings. In: Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXVI. 2015, San Francisco, California: SPIE--The International Society for Optical Engineering.
- Berry J, Budgen D, Holliman N. Evaluating subjective impressions of quality controlled 3D films on large and small screens. Journal of Display Technology 2015, 11(11), 927-938.
- Berry J, Roberts D, Holliman NS. 3D sound and 3D image interactions: a review of audio-visual depth perception. In: Human Vision and Electronic Imaging XIX. 2014, San Francisco: SPIE--The International Society for Optical Engineering. In Preparation.
- Weaver J, Holliman NS. Interlopers 3D: experiences designing a stereoscopic game. In: Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXV. 2014, San Francisco: SPIE--The International Society for Optical Engineering. In Preparation.
- Habib M, Lowell J, Holliman N, Hunter A, Vaideanu D, Hildreth A, Steel D. Assessment of stereoscopic optic disc images using an autostereoscopic screen - Experimental study. BMC Ophthalmology 2008, 8(13).
- Butt M, Cross E, Holliman N, Kempton L, Legget J, Mackenzie E, Ross H, Sapsed J, Swords J, Vallance P, Whitehurst F. Creative Fuse North East: Initial Report. Newcastle University, UK, 2017.
- Holliman N, Watson P. Scalable Real-Time Visualization Using the Cloud. IEEE Cloud Computing 2015, 2(6), 90-96.