- Project Dates: From June 2013 to August 2015
- Project Leader: Prof. Paul Watson (PI)
- Staff: Derek Mortimer, Barry Hodgson, Dr. Simon Woodman, Dr. Hugo Hiden
- Sponsors: TSB Innovating in the CLOUD - CRD
- Partners: Partners: Newcastle University, Red Hat Inc., Arjuna Technologies Ltd
This project aims to widen and accelerate the adoption of cloud services (including business-critical services) by resolving data security issues through the development of a solution for flexible data management. Data security and flexibility in the cloud is the number one barrier to more expansive cloud adoption by organisations (IDC, 2012). This project will address these issues by developing a Data Management Broker which will enable organisations to; a) use customer-focused SLAs to capture data requirements, b) ensure requirements are mapped to appropriate data storage and management solutions, c) capture audit requirements for governance. The consortium leverages existing background technologies and brings together expertise in cloud platform provisioning, service agreements, policy management, collaborative data management and analysis. The Data Management Broker will be released as open source and distributed through Red Hat's global distribution channel.